The Org Redesign - Design...

Knowname
Org Profile

Re: The Org Redesign - Design...

Post by Knowname » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:33 am

The problem with tabs is I would have to open up a new tab to go from 'upload video' to 'view my journal'. I like the menus where I can just leave the menus open if I use them often.
If you do not think so... you will DIE

EvaFan
Org Profile

Post by EvaFan » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:13 am

why not let ppl create layouts and just have a poll like you would with banners? Majority opinion from possible layouts.
"The people cannot be [...] always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to [...] the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to public liberty. What country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not warned [...] that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."-Thomas Jefferson

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:34 pm

Zarxrax wrote:Here is a rough concept of how I envision a future org, with a full redesign.
Forgive the ugliness.

Quoted Image converted to link:
http://oi52.tinypic.com/33dicgn.jpg

The basic concept is to have community and viewer oriented features available right in the front page from a tab interface. All other pages are accessed through a top menu.

The new videos page would list the 10 or so most recently uploaded videos. Donators would get some options to tweak this, filtering by star count and star rating (so you can avoid the crap videos)
Subscriptions would basically be like the alerts.

The feedback area would be a page that displays all incoming and outgoing feedback from opionions, and comments left on videos, and replies to your comments. There would be options to filter by certain types.

The journal section shows your journal buddies, or if you like, all recent journals, and also lets you view/write your own.

Then the forum tab can show you the most recent posts, so you can quickly see if anything interesting is being posted.

I was also considering some tabs like "top videos" (based on top star scale with more options) or "recommended videos" (using the recommendation engine), but i think these probably dont belong front and center. They could be in the menus somewhere instead.
DBZ Awesomecore is my video. :dino:
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Phantasmagoriat
Org Profile

Post by Phantasmagoriat » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:59 pm

After stealing ideas from everyone, and adding my own thoughts, I would be happy with something like this :D

[Obviously not with fully expanded menus though]

[And it could potentially shrink down as small as this, but it depends if any mechanisms are used for page scaling, and I don't know anything about that...]

[I'm not too concerned with the rest of the page... but I like Zarxrax's idea for tabs]

But you guys can fight over the body of the page. For me, I'm just happy if the menus are organized :P

If anyone is interested in making their own changes, here is the .xls file.
You should be able to use OpenOffice Calc to edit it, (or Excel is what I used...>.>)

The 2 main ideas I stole were Corrans Layout, and some of Kai's suggestions in restructuring the menus (from another thread). Then I added a bunch of my own ideas.
My biggest concern is the menus being designed for every-day-use, and 5-7 main menus is generally a good number. So after a lot of moving stuff around, I wound up with 6, which is pretty ideal if you ask me [actually, if you think about it, it's kind of like 4 main menus].

I'm pretty sure I covered all the same links that are in the current site, but if I missed anything, let me know. While I want to comment on all the changes I'm proposing, there are simply too many to list, like merged items (anything in italics is just a description and wouldn't be in the actual menu), renamed items, and just general placement of items, so if you have any questions or concerns, by all means say something, and I'll be more than happy to comment :wink: In fact, I'm already thinking of removing the Support the Org links from the Community/Events tab because of redundancy with the store/donate button...
Org Profile | AMVGuide | Phan Picks! | THE424SHOW | YouTube | "Painkiller"

"Effort to Understand; Effort to be Understood; to See through Different Eyes."

MycathatesyouAMV
Based Dicknugget
Org Profile

Post by MycathatesyouAMV » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:41 pm

Whenever someone is editing their top 10 favorite anime, instead of whenever u change something or add a new one, instead of having to change the number of each anime by yourself, it should bump everything down a space. Also it would be nice if it went past 10.
Discord: MycathatesyouAMV#5994

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:43 pm

Phan: horizontal navbars are a pain in my experience...have never managed to get it to work correctly in any version of IE

MCHY: If memory serves, that's automatically done if you have firefox and do the drag to reorder thing

MycathatesyouAMV
Based Dicknugget
Org Profile

Post by MycathatesyouAMV » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:08 pm

I wish the amv banner length/width and file size could all be bigger. As is you really can't get much done with it or get a detailed banner in good quality.
Discord: MycathatesyouAMV#5994

Phantasmagoriat
Org Profile

Post by Phantasmagoriat » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:47 am

Kariudo wrote:Phan: horizontal navbars are a pain in my experience...have never managed to get it to work correctly in any version of IE
Hmm, well I'm basically proposing the same thing as Corran's version but with a condensed rearrangement of menus. It seems to work fine in Firefox and my version of IE (8.0.7), so I think it's pretty stable, but I haven't done a lot of tests.

MycathatesyouAMV wrote:I wish the amv banner length/width and file size could all be bigger. As is you really can't get much done with it or get a detailed banner in good quality.
Maybe in the new site, banners can be available in two forms: large and small. Then the one that gets displayed will depend on your window size. I don't know if that's possible... but I can dream...
Org Profile | AMVGuide | Phan Picks! | THE424SHOW | YouTube | "Painkiller"

"Effort to Understand; Effort to be Understood; to See through Different Eyes."

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:21 am

468x60 is the biggest standard banner size used on the web today. You can only go down from there, unless you're going for Leaderboard :>

Also, 468x60 and 88x31 are the standard sizes that are used like everywhere - if we want to use our banners for advertising as well, it should be left like it is - because otherwise it might get hard for advertisers to use.

But I wouldn't be against raising the filesize to 25 or 30kB (probably still not more).

Return to “Org Redesign”