sometimes it feels so real :!: :!: :!: :cry:
what about you ?
- i love one who doesnt exist ! -
- inuyasha i love you !!! -

Malificus
Dr. Malpractice
Org Profile

Post by Malificus » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:07 pm

I've cried watching Kino's Journey. And teared up during Beyond the Clouds.
ImageImage

Cornwiggle
Org Profile

Post by Cornwiggle » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:18 pm

Uh....no.

Because it's a show.
¯\(°_o)/¯

Psygnius
Org Profile

Post by Psygnius » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:28 pm

no. I've grown attached to some animes, but I've never cried for any show.

If you're crying over a fictional character, you seriously might want to lay off the show for a while, and join a club or something if you already do not have one.

or maybe it's a guy thing.... dunno.

Psygnius
Org Profile

Post by Psygnius » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:29 pm

Psygnius wrote: or maybe it's a guy thing.... dunno.
I meant not crying.

paranoia_agent99
Org Profile

Post by paranoia_agent99 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:40 pm

...wasnt this thread already made?
if the end is really the begining, where did we start off?

Cornwiggle
Org Profile

Post by Cornwiggle » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:40 pm

Psygnius wrote:
I meant not crying.
I think it's a sane thing.
¯\(°_o)/¯

Malificus
Dr. Malpractice
Org Profile

Post by Malificus » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:35 pm

Cornwiggle wrote:
Psygnius wrote:
I meant not crying.
Do you lagh when something funny happens in a show? Do you get excited when a big fight scene or action sequence breaks out? Do you Think about the meaning of shows? Do you fantasize about anime characters?

Any of these are the same as crying over a show. If you've done any one of them, by your definition, you're not sane.
ImageImage

Solaria735
Org Profile

Post by Solaria735 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:52 pm

I have to second Malificus here. Many shows try to elicit an emotional response from the viewer, and if it's a very sad show, it's not a big deal if you cry a little. If it's funny, you laugh; if there's action, you cheer.

I haven't done it often with any movie or show, animated or not, but there have been a few times where I've been so moved or saddened by a certain event that I've shed a tear or two, I admit. I am not a particularly girly girl either, so crying over every character death, etc, is not a normal occurrence for me.

However, I've never gotten obsessed or depressed about any of those circumstances, because, as someone mentioned before, it is fiction and therefore doesn't really affect the rest of my life. If I got to the point where I just couldn't stop thinking about "OMG _____ dies and it's so sad!" every moment and it affected my everyday routine, then I'd know I had a problem.

Psygnius
Org Profile

Post by Psygnius » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:53 pm

laughter and crying are two different spectrums of emotions. Crying takes an immense amount of emotion to do, while pulling out a 2-second laugh only requires a 1-minute scene.

To get someone to cry requires a lot of character development that cannot be acheived in a 1-minute scene.

You can't classify a chuckle on the same level as sorrow. A laugh is more of a response than an emotion.

Yes, people feel emotions when watching a show, Elfen Lied or Saikano are both shows that make me feel a bit sadder each time I watch them, but am I going to cry over a fictional story? No.

Malificus
Dr. Malpractice
Org Profile

Post by Malificus » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:02 pm

I've had anime make me cry from more than just sorrow, the two anime I listed are just the only anime I can think of by name, to date, three anime have made me cry that I can remember, and not all of those were from sorrow.

An emotional response is the same in situation, generally, funny scenes are just easier to do and more common, since they don't require a story, but when a sad/emotional scene is done well, it eaily gets the equivalent response as a funny scene that gets you laghung for minutes. Most guys I know react to comedy and action more than sad/emotional stuff though.

Some people actually like full, emotional stories that draw viewer/readers in. That counts for more than just anime/manga.
ImageImage

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:51 pm

There's a bit of a cultural thing to that, too, crying and other emotional responses that is. I might restrain myself with the crying sometimes, but some people would think I'm insane from the way I laugh at stuff, and other strong reactions (ROFL is not a metaphor for me in some cases) - because I've been brought up in a context and culture where strong reactions are encouraged, as long as they're genuine. And I say that while being a 22-year-old graduate student, mind you...

Yea, sure. To me, actually, even more than outright tragedy - the real tear-jerking thing is irony, especially bitter irony.

I'd list anime which got me to cry a little, but that'd be a huge list. Practically every serious title among my favorites would be it.
I cry listening to music all the time, too :roll:
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Unlimited Rice
Org Profile

Post by Unlimited Rice » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:40 pm

i tear up easy :cry: .. so.. i dun feel like making a list. but... a certain ep of rahxephon hit me

Super Shanko
Org Profile

Post by Super Shanko » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:15 am

only one time, i was just a little teary from like happiness i guess.
it was on Tokyo Godfathers when Hana saved Kiyoko from falling, and he fell while holding onto the giant scroll, then comes a big ass gust of wind that saved the two and had them lowered slowly to the ground.

and i actually bust out laughing from when watching a scene on the first episode of Desert Punk, twice. its shocking to me because i dont usually laugh because of an anime.
Life is but a dream.....So what happens when you wake up?

haru_hara_haruko
Org Profile

Post by haru_hara_haruko » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:29 am

Malificus wrote:
Cornwiggle wrote:
Psygnius wrote:
I meant not crying.
Do you lagh when something funny happens in a show? Do you get excited when a big fight scene or action sequence breaks out? Do you Think about the meaning of shows? Do you fantasize about anime characters?

Any of these are the same as crying over a show. If you've done any one of them, by your definition, you're not sane.
I agree with CW. Laughter is a fairly easy response. If someone falls over in class you laugh at them. When you know you didn't study for a test you get nervous. Exciting fights and a few jokes are easy emotions. Actually getting to cry means you have to see something so heartbreaking that it actually forces you to weep. I myself have never seen any show that can do that, even IF I love the characters.

Return to “General Anime”