Summer 2017 Anime Lineup

Jasta85
Org Profile

Summer 2017 Anime Lineup

Post by Jasta85 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:17 am

https://www.livechart.me/summer-2017/tv

Time for another anime season, and I'm still trying to catch up with a bunch of the current season's series as I was basically away from home for the last month because of work with little to no access to the internet. But here's some highlights of what's coming up.

My high priority list:

Centaur no Nayami - Another monster girl anime, sorta. This series takes place in a world that is ONLY made up of demi-humans, and is basically a sort of slice of life series, although it does address series issues such as single parent families, racism, growing up etc. The art of the manga is adorable and it's a ridiculously charming series, I really hope the anime does it justice.

Fate/Apocrypha - I'm a big type moon fan even if their lore gets convoluted as hell, but I must not be alone as they are getting series pumped out at a pretty fast rate. Time for another holy grail war, and I have not actually read the source material for this series so I'm quite excited.

Kakegurui - I have not read the manga for this but have had my eye on it for a while after hearing some good things about it. It's another series focusing on high stakes gambling but the main character is supposed to be pretty crazy character (scary sexy rape face), so I'm looking forward to seeing this, then move on to the manga afterwards.

Aho Girl - I've read the manga and found it pretty funny, although it's a 4-koma series so I don't know how well the humor will translate over to full anime episodes. But I'll definitely be checking it out.

There are quite a lot of other series that I know nothing about but am interested in but I'll refrain from listing all of those here as it would end up in a very long list. Overall, the season is looking pretty good.

SilverLugia345
Org Profile

Re: Summer 2017 Anime Lineup

Post by SilverLugia345 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:27 pm

For me there is:

Saiyuki Reload Blast - I have seen the original plus all of the other seasons and ovas from the series. The anime is awesome and I couldn't wait to see Saiyuki Reload Blast made into an anime. My favorite character is Sanzo I love the comedy that him and the other four characters bring to the show.

Yu-Gi-Oh VRAINS - I wasn't really interested in the last yu-gi-oh series but this one caught my attention because of the set up that they have. I've already seen the first episode and I find the main character interesting and I want to know more about his backstory.

Marvel Future Avengers - I don't usually watch a lot of marvel based things like the cartoons and such but I'm finding these anime-based shows to have interesting plots to them. I've see the Marvel Hero Disk Wars anime so I wanted to check this one out as well.

Ballroom e Youkoso - I'm always looking for a new kind of anime to watch and I don't think I have seen any about ballroom dancing. I know one time I also happen to read a manga that was based on ballroom dancing but I can't remember if its the same manga that this anime is from. So its something like that I'm interested in watching.

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:27 am

Right now, Kakegurui and My Hero Academia are the only shows I'm fully invested in. But I am also watching Tsuredure children and Netsuzou TRap since the eps are so short. And lastly, I'm probably gonna continue watching Gamers as well.

Overall, I don't think that this is a particularly string season (at least in comparison to the last 2 seasons), but there are definitely plenty of shows that are entertaining enough.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:24 am

My job is now officially watching anime and reviewing it. So I'm actively watching about 15 to 20 of these series. This isn't sarcasm, btw. It's really one of my paid jobs.

Love and Lies
Made in Abyss
A Centaur's Life

Probably my favorites. NTR is really difficult to watch. Kakegurui is growing on me. Just started catching up on Tsurdure children for a piece on Hotaru. Aho Girl is pretty funny, but Noratoto is even better for stupid funny in short doses...
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Jasta85
Org Profile

Post by Jasta85 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:31 pm

tell me how to get your job lol, I'm actually going to be leaving my current job next year and honestly I wouldn't mind taking a pay cut for something more entertaining.

for me, so far this season:
Kakeguri - really enjoying it, if you enjoyed prison school, you'll love this. gambling + extreme reactions from everyone, I don't even know what kind of character type the main character is, like a yandere whose obsession is gambling rather than a person.

Tsurdure children - amazing series, focuses on several high school couples and is a fantastic mix of comedy, romance, relatable situations, with a dump truck of sugary feels on top.

A Centaur's life - great manga, and the anime is doing a pretty good job so far. Basically think of sort of a slice of life series just in a world made up entirely of demi-humans, with some political commentary and parallels to our world.

Gamers - I didn't think I would like it but after seeing a lot of positive stuff about it I tried it out and marathoned all the eps last weekend. Plot sounds cliche when you look at it but it's got some really funny moments and should basically be re-named "misunderstanding, the anime". Worth checking out if your looking for a romantic comedy with well done characters and interactions between them.

Knights and Magic - It's super predictable and the main character is a one track person whose personality could be summed up as "super genius who is only interested in mechas". Main problem I have with the series is that there is no tension, the MC dominates every fight he goes into and doesn't even feel any pressure, everything is a game to him, and with his rather boring personality, and all the side characters basically just cheerleaders who talk about how cool he is all the time, it's basically a wish fufilment series. Granted I am still watching it so it's not terrible, but definitely not an amazing series. Does have some decent action scenes now and then.

Isekai wa Smartphone to Tomo ni - It's almost the same as knights and magic, just there are no mechas anywhere, you just have an OP MC who is basically Jesus and can do absolutely anything. He literally has god on speed dial. Another wish fulfillment series if you want to see an MC solve all the problems that come his way while building up a harem (at least this guy is interested in girls, where as the knights and magic MC only gets boners for robots).

For some reason I still have yet to watch made in abyss although I'm taking a vacation next week so it will be the perfect time to blow through it. I Also need to catch back up on Re: Creators as I took a break from it halfway through the first season.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:20 am

How did I get my job? I'm a professional journalist (as well as a teacher in the Japanese school system), and my new managing editor used to work with me elsewhere. I applied for a regular position, but my Japanese wasn't good enough. He contacted me a bit later though when he had another opening. Unfortunately, there aren't any open positions, I think. And you also have to live in Tokyo, so...

I was supposed to be at the Japanese premiere preview of Smartphone, but they never got back to my press request.

As a social studies teacher, nearly all of my articles about Love and Lies and A Centaur's Life are about politics. I'd say with Centaur the political commentary is the main dish, the cute mythical creature girls doing cute things is the veneer. For many other series (like Classroom of the Elite) I talk a lot about the Japanese school system. I like Gamers but dislike video games. Why? Because the characters are pretty hilariously inept.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

DJ_Izumi
Org Profile

Post by DJ_Izumi » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:56 pm

Kionon wrote:Love and Lies
Oh god that show is so bad. It's just your typical indecisive protagonist trapped in the universes most polite version of A Handmaid's Tale. The show would be better if it was from Nisaka's POV. LGBT in a Japan that is primarily focused on making Baby's? Good luck with your government issued beard, Nisaka. D:
Kionon wrote:NTR is really difficult to watch.
Skirt no Naka wa Kedamono Deshita,now THAT'S hard to watch.

...And ReCreators is hands down anime of 2017. D:

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:12 pm

I was assigned Skirt. I watched the first two episodes, then I told my editor, no. Haven't seen any more, haven't written about it. For obvious reasons you will understand better than most.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

DJ_Izumi
Org Profile

Post by DJ_Izumi » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:39 am

Kionon wrote:I was assigned Skirt. I watched the first two episodes, then I told my editor, no. Haven't seen any more, haven't written about it. For obvious reasons you will understand better than most.
...I don't SHARE those reasons but I can guess. Since it's actually the reason WHY I wanted to watch. And then I was like 'This is way to rapey for me and I'm a fujoshi. :O'

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:55 am

Oh, I never said you did share them. I'm very aware of our differences in conceptualisations of gender identity. I said I think you understand them better than most. And I think that's true. And yes, it's super rapey, and I told my editor I couldn't watch it. Considering my own issues around things that happened to me.

No. No. No. No.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Return to “General Anime”