How to Spot a Bootleg

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:09 pm

Heh, and also, if you check the description, the #1 clue comes up near the bottom - "region-free". Taken with all the other nuances, that's a sure guarantee.

That said... man, those bootleggers do pretty professional design jobs sometimes. It's very convincing, with the box art, toy and all...
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Animerocker64
Org Profile

Post by Animerocker64 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:37 am

Otohiko wrote:Heh, and also, if you check the description, the #1 clue comes up near the bottom - "region-free". Taken with all the other nuances, that's a sure guarantee.

That said... man, those bootleggers do pretty professional design jobs sometimes. It's very convincing, with the box art, toy and all...
That you have to admit is true... sometimes a bootleggers artwork on some dvd covers are convincing. This was the case for me, I was at a con, then at the dealer's room, there was a guy selling evanglion platinum 6, which i wanted, so I was eager to buy. It looked like the general article, except one flaw... at the corner, the artwork started to peel off it's glue, then under was a cardboard box that said " Tomotoes" ... a real low

ivy801
Org Profile

Post by ivy801 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:25 pm

My fiance was excited when he got me the last sailor moon season in japanese only to find out that the subtitles sucked and the color of the characters started to get blurry and the last cd didn't work. I told him that if it's 60 bucks then it's not official. I mean I spent 150 for the uncut first season of Sailor Moon and I thought it was worth it.
"I'll decorate my sword with the color of your
blood."

mangahero
Org Profile

Post by mangahero » Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:11 pm

i found a box set of naruto at a store called too cool and im wondering if its import or pirated. im sorry but i dont have a picture of it the print on the box is all in japanese if that helps at all. its on three dvds and im not sure about it, could someone help me out i'd really appreciate it.

narcted
Org Profile

Post by narcted » Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:47 am

mangahero wrote:i found a box set of naruto at a store called too cool and im wondering if its import or pirated. im sorry but i dont have a picture of it the print on the box is all in japanese if that helps at all. its on three dvds and im not sure about it, could someone help me out i'd really appreciate it.
If it is region 2, then it is region encoded for Japan. (And probably won't play in your DVD player anyways.) It should also probably cost at least twice as much as you would pay for a legitimate import DVD.

mangahero
Org Profile

Post by mangahero » Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:22 pm

ok thank you the cost is about 150 dollars. i appreciate it

pole vaulter
Org Profile

Post by pole vaulter » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:31 pm

ok. so i bought the first 2 parts of one piece on DVD.from D*******A****D**.com 4 29.99
is this fake?
can some 1 check it out to see im im getting totally ripped off

and also is the one from toys and joys.com real???
i like to pole vault but i hate chemistry

dokool
Sir Gaijin Smash
Org Profile

Post by dokool » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:32 pm

pole vaulter wrote:ok. so i bought the first 2 parts of one piece on DVD.from D*******A****D**.com 4 29.99
is this fake?
can some 1 check it out to see im im getting totally ripped off

and also is the one from toys and joys.com real???
One Piece has not yet been released on DVD in America yet. So, yes, they're bootlegs.

shiroi_tsuki
Org Profile

Post by shiroi_tsuki » Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:59 pm

Hm...it never accured to me that my Shaman King DVD Boxset may be a bootleg. o-o I never even thought it once, I was just happy to get it. But now that I read that, I know now that it's one. -_- Now i want an original...Damn. But thanks for posting that, I'm glad now I know. Stupid chinese mafia and your bootlegs! No wonder my subtitles always made me mad for being illiterate! >>

mangahero
Org Profile

Post by mangahero » Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:53 pm

i think i accidentally bought a bootlegged dvd please forgive me im returning it tomorrow. id like to know where you all get your dvds from so i dont make the same mistake again

Return to “General Anime”