vegas4>

For help and discussion concerning Magix's (formerly Sony's) Movie Studio and Vegas Pro editing software.
Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:09 pm

Scintilla wrote: Premiere's Razor does the job with a single mouse click.
But you have to bother to select the razor tool first. then you have to select the regular tool again when your done.
Scintilla wrote: Actually, Premiere's Rate Stretch tool allows you to just drag the edge of a clip to change its speed as well. Also, if you do it the other way (with Speed/Duration), you don't have to guess if you know the duration you want it to fit - you just type that in.
Never heard of that one, but whatever. Adobe's blatant disregard to accept the fact that 23.976 is a standardized framerate is what pissed me off to no end. That, and the constant crashing.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:54 pm

Zarxrax wrote:
Scintilla wrote: Actually, Premiere's Rate Stretch tool allows you to just drag the edge of a clip to change its speed as well. Also, if you do it the other way (with Speed/Duration), you don't have to guess if you know the duration you want it to fit - you just type that in.
Never heard of that one, but whatever.
It might be new to Premiere Pro; if it was in 5.1, I never used it, so I don't know.
Zarxrax wrote:Adobe's blatant disregard to accept the fact that 23.976 is a standardized framerate is what pissed me off to no end.
Yeah, that does get annoying fast. Anyone have any idea why they keep doing that?
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

madbunny
Org Profile

Post by madbunny » Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:48 pm

Sometimes reading these posts really, really pays off.
Namely when the rate resize was mentioned, I started thinking... damm, that would be a really useful tool. Too bad premiere doesn't have that...

THEN... I looked at the help function.

Hotkey [P].
By the way, the tools almost always have hotkeys assigned... Selection is [V], in out is [N], and cut is [C]. I'm sure Vegas uses something similar, probably also keeping close to the standard windows keys.

bum
Org Profile

Post by bum » Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:52 am

ok im not one to dis something without trying it, and i did use premier quite a bit, (my corupting religion amv [which disturbs people :D ] was made in premier 6.5) i just find vegas4 alot more user freindly and its prety much easier and faster do do prety much everything you do in premier. the razor tool is kind of a pain in the ass, esspecialy when you use vegas's hilight and copy>paest method (which everyone has used in windows before they knew what a vid editor was :P ). i also found it easier to work with large amounts of files, esspecialy as changing files takes about 3 buton clicks. and seeing as the files are never cut up like with premier, its just much easier. the whole gui system just works so much beter and its refreshing after using premier for any amount of time. sure it may not contain as much hardcore encoding options as premier, and the avi encoder is slow as fuck, but in the end it comes to video editing, and in that aspect ive found that is clearly beter than premier. and if you cant afford the money for the latest version,you can get version3 which is very similar in most aspects, and alot cheaper

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:20 pm

trythil wrote:
klinky wrote:Oh and I think you're in aussie land, so you'd be using PAL which sucks since it's 50fields per second and there really isn't a proper method for telecining/ivtc. So running a deinterlacing filter on PAL footage may be a better idea in the long run.
There is such a thing as PAL telecine, and there do exist methods for handling it.

Telecide can do it. There's basically two ways to telecine PAL:
A B C D
A B C D

...which you don't need to bother IVTCing, and

B C D E
A B C D

which is pretty easily fixable.

Audio in telecined PAL material is sped up by 4% (1 - (24/25) = .04) and pitch-corrected, so if you inverse telecine such stuff and want to keep the original audio, you'll have to do some audio editing to get it sounding right.

Lol, my bad... :|

Flint the Dwarf
Org Profile

Post by Flint the Dwarf » Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:27 pm

Well... I've rarely had any problems with Premiere and it takes just as long as I feel it should take. I don't care about speed editing. I just have fun with it. So I have no reason to switch. :?
Kusoyaro: We don't need a leader. We need to SHUT UP. Make what you want to make, don't make you what you don't want to make. If neither of those applies to you, then you need to SHUT UP MORE.

mckeed
Org Profile

Post by mckeed » Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:05 pm

I agree flint. If your a professional and time is of the essence or you are doing iron chef then yeah you might want to do stuff quicker. I have never had wierd premire crashing issues that everyone talks about. I had no problem learning anything in premire. In fact everything seemed intuitive to me. Keyboard shortcuts have allways been there. There is this thing called a reference card which you get when you actually buy software legally that tells you all these nice little shortcuts. Along the same line is the actual manual to the program.

Note: in premire if you are selecting clips in the clip window and marking in and out points and then select the section on the timeline with in and out points you want to insert it into, it will automatically figure out the speed change needed. I have never had to guess what speed the clip neeced to be unless i was going for a specific kind of rate slowdown to match the beats of the music.
"People can not gain anything without putting forth any effort. That is the absolute Truth" - Dante, Full Metal Alchemist

bum
Org Profile

Post by bum » Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:13 pm

ah, but thiers the thing, you havent tried using vegas, you never know how much beter making and amv can be unless you've tried it. you cant say "i have no use for anything but vegas" when you havent spent any time with it. ive tried basicaly every vid editor under the sun (well, under windows anyway, eccept premier pro, which a freind seems to hate religiosly, so :P ) and ive found simply that vegas4 is just beter than anything els. its just realy refreshing and a joy to use

mckeed
Org Profile

Post by mckeed » Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:34 pm

i never said "i had no use for vegas." I was only making a point that b/c most people don't pay money for their software they bitch about not being able to do things that the software is able to do and say how this other piece of software can do this. Just my pet peve.
"People can not gain anything without putting forth any effort. That is the absolute Truth" - Dante, Full Metal Alchemist

Flint the Dwarf
Org Profile

Post by Flint the Dwarf » Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:37 pm

bum wrote:ah, but thiers the thing, you havent tried using vegas
You're right, but why fix something that's not broken? I have fun with Premiere and it does everything I need it to do. It's as simple as that.

And mckeed, we all buy our software. Every single one of us. So you can stop bringing that up. :P
Kusoyaro: We don't need a leader. We need to SHUT UP. Make what you want to make, don't make you what you don't want to make. If neither of those applies to you, then you need to SHUT UP MORE.

Return to “Movie Studio & Vegas Pro”