Sony Movie Primium 12 vs pro-5 thru 13 - HeLp!

For help and discussion concerning Magix's (formerly Sony's) Movie Studio and Vegas Pro editing software.
post-it
Org Profile

Sony Movie Primium 12 vs pro-5 thru 13 - HeLp!

Post by post-it » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:44 pm

:shrug: I'm tired of Movie Studio 11 and have purchased Studio Primium 12. A 13th Premium Studio has arrived but it's features factually don't seem to be of any real use in Editing.
All of the hope between 12 & 13 seem to be clouded by Price. wtf: if I wanted my Rolls Royce to be powered by a snow mobile engine, then I would have bought an Mini-Cooper. How Can Anybody confirm ANYTHING that looks like it's being discribed by ISIS?
What are the pluses and minuses of 12 vs 13?

signed Genuinely Confused By Liberals.

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Re: Sony Movie Primium 12 vs pro-5 thru 13 - HeLp!

Post by Kireblue » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:11 am

Honestly, the tools and feature that are added in between Sony Vegas Pro versions are rarely useful for AMV editing. This is even more true for the Movie Studio versions. If you really want to expand the capabilities of what your program can do, you'd have to upgrade to a Pro version. This will allow you to do things like running scripts (like FlickerBuddy), nesting projects (loading a project into another project), masking, and adding velocity envelops (a feature that gives greater control of the speed of your clips). But of course, even with a student discount, there is a MASSIVE price jump between Movie Studio and Vegas Pro.

But if you're just considering upgrading to another Movie Studio version, I can't really say that its worth it.

GloryQuestor
Moderation Hero
Org Profile

Post by GloryQuestor » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:21 am

Something else to consider when jumping from Platinum 12 to Platinum 13 is the huge change in the GUI:

Movie Studio 12 Platinum

Movie Studio 13 Platinum

As you can see here, the Basic and Platinum versions of SMS 13 are redesigned to take advantage of being used on tablet and touchscreen PCs, but has no option to switch the GUI into the more desktop-friendly look that 12 and before gave. This decision alone is one of the negatives of Platinum 13 -- I do not mind the icons and toggles being bigger, but I keep clicking on the oversized Video FX and Pan/Crop buttons way too often. Also, if you see screenshots of Vegas Pro 13, you will realize that it looks more like 12 -- so why the change of GUI in SMS 13? Not sure.

The one thing I found most annoying is that in Basic/Platinum 13 the editor no longer have access to all of the pointer modes, only the most common three (Normal, Envelope, and Fade). This confused me initially because I make good use of the selection box tool in older version, but the option is no longer visible on the interface and you cannot add it. You have to learn that the "D" key switches between the pointer modes, or go to the menu and select it there.

So, can I recommend it if you already have SMS 12 Platinum? Not unless you really need to, like I did (my last one was Vegas 9 HD, and it hates Win10, so had to upgrade to 13 Platinum). If you have the option, stick with Platinum 12 until you can afford Vegas Pro 13, which looks just like 12 does and has more options. Just avoid geting SMS 13 Basic, that version is so barebones and is crap for AMV editing.
Website Administrator, AnimeMusicVideos.Org
Samurai Warriors Productions
Pittsburgh Japanese Culture Society Events - AMV Department Head
Middle Tennessee Anime Convention - Main Events Operations Manager
Anime Weekend Atlanta - Senior Manager of Programming - Video Art Track

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:39 pm

"Also, if you see screenshots of Vegas Pro 13, you will realize that it looks more like 12 -- so why the change of GUI in SMS 13? Not sure."

Because SMS is for easy editing (and thus is tablet friendly, probably has less HW requirements, etc), while Pro is meant for stuff you can't edit on tablets anyway (HD and bigger videos, effects, etc), so giving it a touchscreen controls makes no sense.

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:35 pm

post-it wrote:THx
post-it wrote:still seem to be blocked from replying to my own questions.
subject: sms 12 vs 13.
[User asked this to be posted for him]

Return to “Movie Studio & Vegas Pro”