Screenshots taken in project turning out darker than source.

For help and discussion concerning Magix's (formerly Sony's) Movie Studio and Vegas Pro editing software.
Sayoria [Inactive]
Org Profile

Screenshots taken in project turning out darker than source.

Post by Sayoria [Inactive] » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:44 pm

I take a screenshot and line it up with the video footage. The screenshot comes out darker than the source footage. I want it to be the same, not darker. How to I default the screenshotting to keep the lighting matching the source footage?

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Re: Screenshots taken in project turning out darker than sou

Post by Scintilla » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:28 pm

You're not taking a screenshot from a media player are you? Export the frame from your video editor itself, or copy the frame to the clipboard from VirtualDub and save it in a lossless format (.BMP, .TIF, etc.), and it should match.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Sayoria [Inactive]
Org Profile

Post by Sayoria [Inactive] » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:48 am

Scintilla wrote:You're not taking a screenshot from a media player are you? Export the frame from your video editor itself, or copy the frame to the clipboard from VirtualDub and save it in a lossless format (.BMP, .TIF, etc.), and it should match.

Nope, I am taking it from Vegas itself with the floppy icon above the preview. I tried saving as a .BMP and it still comes out a few shades darker. Idgi.

I made a video (of not-so-great quality) showing what's going on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aibWK43 ... e=youtu.be

(Brother walked in on me and he was watching wrestling. Ignore that, haha.)

Anywho, in the video, you can clearly see it's coming out darker by simply shotting, importing, and placing. It never did this before.

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:27 am

Try setting preview quality to Best (though it likely shouldn't matter) and project settings => rendering quality to best. And save to png, as it's lossless. "Might" help.

Sayoria [Inactive]
Org Profile

Post by Sayoria [Inactive] » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:07 am

Nya-chan Production wrote:Try setting preview quality to Best (though it likely shouldn't matter) and project settings => rendering quality to best. And save to png, as it's lossless. "Might" help.

No avail. This is disappointing me. I'm about to say screw it. I almost didn't even want to do a video this year. If I can't figure it out soon enough, I am just going to quit editing. I'm having arm surgery in a few weeks too. If I miss the contest cutoff because of this problem, then I think I'm throwing in the towel. I was hoping this year to be my last year probably, and well. It seems I might be done now. I can't deal with the stress of something so stupid like this.

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:25 am

Don't know, then. What I can think of is some effect darkening your footage (but that should show up in both) or codec issue that makes the footage show up slightly wrong, but it would probably need more tweaking. Sorry to hear about your troubles ^^;

Return to “Movie Studio & Vegas Pro”