Vegas Masking Issue

For help and discussion concerning Magix's (formerly Sony's) Movie Studio and Vegas Pro editing software.
Pikapwn
Getting Pikapwn'd
Org Profile

Vegas Masking Issue

Post by Pikapwn » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:40 am

In Vegas my masks seem to be off in certain portions of clips.

The mask in the left window is for the middle finger of his right hand. Where the mask is clearly past the edge of his finger in the masking window, in the preview it appears to be right on the edge. When I make the mask right on the edge, it cuts into his finger.
Does anyone know why this is happening?

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Re: Vegas Masking Issue

Post by Nya-chan Production » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:19 pm

You seem to be using the Best (Full) preview option, so it's not caused by that.

My two guesses:
- you have a source of some framerate and your project has a different framerate. The differences in rounding cause it to display different frames at same spot. Check source FPS and project FPS for this and if they are not equal, change one of them (project is easier, usually)
- you played with the speed of the clip and - again - the interpolation of resampling is messing up with the clip. If you sped up or slowed down the clip, right click it, select Properties... and in the first tab choose Disable resample instead of Smart resample and check Reduce interlace flicker.

If neither of this is your case or the issue stays, feel free to say so, might need more info in that case, though~

Pikapwn
Getting Pikapwn'd
Org Profile

Post by Pikapwn » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:49 pm

I checked the framerates, and both the project and the clips are at 23.976 FPS. And I did not change the speed of the clip.

For this AMV I have two SD DVD sources and two HD "non-DVD :uhoh: " sources. I noticed that this issue is occurring only for the DVD sources. For the DVD sources I did have the line FastLineDarkenMOD() in the avs script which was not in the scripts for the HD sources, but I'm not sure if that would be affecting anything.

If you need any more information, let me know.
Thanks for the help.

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:23 pm

Hmmm... could you post the code for the SD source? It's weird but it really could be it, I guess... will let mirkosp know too, since I don't use extra filters much these days~

Pikapwn
Getting Pikapwn'd
Org Profile

Post by Pikapwn » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:00 pm

Yeah, here is the code for the SD sources

Code: Select all

MPEG2Source("H:\AMV\AMV\FMA1.d2v")
tfm()
tdecimate(mode=1)
Spline36Resize(848,480)

FastLineDarkenMOD()

The code for the HD sources looks like this

Code: Select all

FFVideoSource("H:\AMV\Hunter_X_Hunter\Hunter_X_Hunter_-_01.mkv")
Spline36Resize(848,480)
AssumeFPS(23.976)
It's not too big a problem at this point, since I can just adjust the masks until they look right. But it would be great to understand what is going on for future reference, since this problem makes masking take a bit longer than it already does. Thanks

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:12 pm

Usual Vegas issue with framerate mismatches. Even different roundings could cause issues. Pick one of the following depending on your sources and on what vegas offers you and stick to it.
24/1.001
30/1.001
Just see what works best for you and make sure everything matches. Perfect rounded framerates aren't exactly common outside of pc environments, the others are just a matter of rounding after a few decimals or keeping the exact slowdown framerate.

Specifically, tfm.tdecimate will give you 24/1.001 (which is shown rounded to 23.976 most of the time). Now I'm not sure if this small rounding difference REALLY could be causing issues with vegas, but one never knows and seeing how FMA's apparently the one giving you headaches, it's not outright impossible...

Pikapwn
Getting Pikapwn'd
Org Profile

Post by Pikapwn » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:37 pm

The project is currently set to 23.976, so does that mean the issue is with the numbers after the third decimal place, or that 24/1.001 did not round to 23.976?

And are you saying I should try changing the framerate of the FMA source? For example, by using AssumeFPS(23.976) in the FMA avs file?

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:54 am

Pikapwn wrote:The project is currently set to 23.976, so does that mean the issue is with the numbers after the third decimal place, or that 24/1.001 did not round to 23.976?

And are you saying I should try changing the framerate of the FMA source? For example, by using AssumeFPS(23.976) in the FMA avs file?
I'd say you should give that assumefps on fma a shot, yes. It's worth trying. Worst case the issue lies elsewhere and it was useless, best case you actually solve the problem.

Pikapwn
Getting Pikapwn'd
Org Profile

Post by Pikapwn » Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:35 pm

I went ahead and tried doing AssumeFPS(23.976) on the clip and it still did not work. I've already done most of the masks by adjusting them though, so at this point it would probably be better to leave things as they are instead of solving the issue and then redoing all the masks again.

But it would be nice to know exactly what is going on, so if you have any other ideas, it would still be great to hear them. Thanks for your help.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:21 am

I'm not a vegas user myself, but I had seen this issue reported quite a few times throughout the years, and every occurrence I had seen so far was related to framerate mismatches, but since that isn't so with the case at hand I'm at a loss. :uhoh:

Return to “Movie Studio & Vegas Pro”