Best Collaborative Video

Begi
Org Profile

Re: Best Collaborative Video

Post by Begi » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:53 pm

i think most people are overlookin something so simple. a MEP = multi editor project. the fact that multiple songs or multiple sources were used to create a video does not make a video a mep. a mep is strictly a MULTI EDITOR PROJECT...not a multi source project. at the same time a collab is a mep for the reason that more than one person (multiple) created it, so a collaboration being posted in an mep section is perfectly fine.
collab = 2 editos
mep = more than one editor

a collab has a specified amount of editors (2) where mep is an abbreviation for a video created by more than one editor. the fact that multiple songs or sources where used to create a video has nothing to do with it being a mep or collab

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:38 pm

Begi wrote:i think most people are overlookin something so simple. a MEP = multi editor project. the fact that multiple songs or multiple sources were used to create a video does not make a video a mep. a mep is strictly a MULTI EDITOR PROJECT...not a multi source project. at the same time a collab is a mep for the reason that more than one person (multiple) created it, so a collaboration being posted in an mep section is perfectly fine.
collab = 2 editos

a collab has a specified amount of editors (2) where mep is an abbreviation for a video created by more than one editor. the fact that multiple songs or sources where used to create a video has nothing to do with it being a mep or collab
Except, y'know, for the fact that two categories were created to differentiate between the two in just that way from debate that, IIRC, predate your join date here. Don't let that stop you from soap-boxing though. You clearly know more than the mod and former admin you're responding to.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Begi
Org Profile

Post by Begi » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:53 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:
Begi wrote:i think most people are overlookin something so simple. a MEP = multi editor project. the fact that multiple songs or multiple sources were used to create a video does not make a video a mep. a mep is strictly a MULTI EDITOR PROJECT...not a multi source project. at the same time a collab is a mep for the reason that more than one person (multiple) created it, so a collaboration being posted in an mep section is perfectly fine.
collab = 2 editos

Except, y'know, for the fact that two categories were created to differentiate between the two in just that way from conversations that, IIRC, predate your join date here. Don't let that stop you from soap-boxing though.
i dont understand wat my join date has anything to do with anything (or wat w.e u said means)...but w.e. i dont think u can say that there are 2 different categories becuz like i said...a collab is infact a mep becuz it contains more than one editor (and everyone can come to agree with that) BUT a mep is not ALWAYS a collab. one term just specifies more than the other.

Begi
Org Profile

Post by Begi » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:22 am

dreamawake
Prodigal Pen-Throttle
Org Profile

Post by dreamawake » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:15 pm

Corran wrote:Why was it decided that collab meant "single song" and MEP was "multi-song"? I don't recall anyone calling for this change to be made in the past. The terms Multi Editor Project and Collaboration do not imply any characteristic other than that multiple people contributed to the video's production.

Now we have two person videos that are billed as collabs in the MEP category, and videos with as many as 46 editors that bill their video as a MEP in the collab category. How are two person collaborations supposed to compete with 46-editor videos...? If we assume that only half of the participants will vote for their own video, that still puts small collabs at a huge vote disadvantage.

(And yes I realize that means the vid I participated would be defined as a MEP under the old rules, but IMO, it is a MEP.)
100% agree.

NS
I like pants
Org Profile

Post by NS » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:16 pm

I also agree with corran in every way. When I saw that changes were made to what collab and MEP meant I just facepalmed.

GloryQuestor
Moderation Hero
Org Profile

Post by GloryQuestor » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:43 am

Corran wrote:Why was it decided that collab meant "single song" and MEP was "multi-song"? I don't recall anyone calling for this change to be made in the past. The terms Multi Editor Project and Collaboration do not imply any characteristic other than that multiple people contributed to the video's production.

Now we have two person videos that are billed as collabs in the MEP category, and videos with as many as 46 editors that bill their video as a MEP in the collab category. How are two person collaborations supposed to compete with 46-editor videos...? If we assume that only half of the participants will vote for their own video, that still puts small collabs at a huge vote disadvantage.
First, the problem here is that the site cannot differentiate between the two types of videos. In the context of the site database, any video that had more than one editor would have been classified a "Multi-Editor Project". There had to be a way to differentiate the two terms for the two separate categories, and this was it.

Second, all videos are still subject to the viewer's eye, regardless of the size of the persons involved in the creation of the video. A video made by 2 might actually be better in viewers' eyes than a video made by 46 and get more votes if the video is popular to enough viewers to obtain them.

Lastly, if you feel that the numbers are a disadvantage based on friend or inter-studio voting, then you should know that this is how viewer voting is all over--anyone who has a group of friends sitting in the audience of a convention contest could have them vote for their video and tilt the voting in their favor. There's no way to control that. The best that can be done is to provide a counterpoint: the judges' votes (which in this case is the JCAs).
Website Administrator, AnimeMusicVideos.Org
Samurai Warriors Productions
Pittsburgh Japanese Culture Society Events - AMV Department Head
Middle Tennessee Anime Convention - Main Events Operations Manager
Anime Weekend Atlanta - Senior Manager of Programming - Video Art Track

Kitsuner
Maximum Hotness
Org Profile

Post by Kitsuner » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:14 am

How were MEPs and collaborations separated in last year's VCAs?
OtakuGray wrote:Sometimes anime can branch out to a younger audience and this is one of those times where you wish children would just go die.
Stirspeare wrote:<Stirspeare> Lopez: Vanquish my virginity and flood me with kit. ["Ladies..."]

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:04 am

Kitsuner wrote:How were MEPs and collaborations separated in last year's VCAs?
X = inputbox("Any given number. It doesn't matter since people will dramafest about it being too low or too high anyway.")
If membercount > X Then
MEP
Elif membercount = 1 Then
LOLOLOLSOLOVIDLOLOLOL
Else
Collab
Endif

Something along those lines I think. This year collabs count as solo vids too, tho, since I see them participating in the other categories too. Last year they just had the collab category, iirc.

NS
I like pants
Org Profile

Post by NS » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:33 am

But it's so simple, and I think pretty widely agreed on that collab means 2 editors. A collaboration between 2 people. Any more and it's MULTIPLE editors, or a Multiple editor project if you will...

Return to “2010 AnimeMusicVideos.org Viewers' Choice Awards”