MacOS Software List (Updated 5/5/2017)

For discussion on Mac software and video editing on Mac computers.
Tab.
Org Profile

Re: Macintosh Software List (IN PROGRESS, INCOMPLETE)

Post by Tab. » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:28 pm

post-it wrote:"it lacks the awesome gimmick of lossless mp3/aac editing that Fission has"
Oh heaven's no, both apps are produced by the same company. Why sell one great product with full functionality when you can make more money selling multiple different ones that do very little!
◔ ◡ ◔

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Tue May 10, 2011 9:39 am

Not really my usual hangout and I can see that this topic is somewhat half-hearted but whatever. Is it possible you mac users can give me a rundown of what the most COMMON non-linear editors and effects applications in use are? I have just been informed that some code I'm working on won't actually work on OSX the way it was intended and as such I'm considering writing some custom plugins for a few apps to provide either limited functionality for my code, or possibly semi-global functionality for the framework it is part of.

At the moment I only want to consider Adobe Premiere Pro, After Effects, and POSSIBLY AutoDesk stuff, but if people can tell me what other software is in use and direct me to information on extending the output formats via plugins or whatever else, that would be most helpful.

I will not be offering more information at this stage as I have no idea if I can support OSX at all, but if anyone is really knowledgeable on plugins etc for these apps, please get in touch with me on IRC and I can provide further details.

LantisEscudo
Org Profile

Post by LantisEscudo » Tue May 10, 2011 10:22 am

The Final Cut family (FCE, FCP, Motion) and iMovie are probably the other two common ones you don't have listed there. They're all made by Apple, so they're very tightly tied to Quicktime, so a QT component would probably work there. The only docs I'm aware of on how to write those, though, are Apple's own from the ADC.

TEKnician
Org Profile

Post by TEKnician » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:45 am

Video Editing Software:

Title: SCREENFLOW
Company: Telestream Inc.
System: Mac OSX 10.6.4+
Web link: http://www.telestream.net/screen-flow/overview.htm
Price range: $99.99 via download
Trial version? Yes (website only)

Looks the same as iMovie...not impressive at all. Good thing there's a free trial version.

Image editing software:

Title: PIXELMATOR
Company: Pixelmator Team
System: Mac OSX 10.6+
Web link: http://www.pixelmator.com/
Price range: $29 via Mac App Store ONLY
Trial version? Yes (website only)

I would say that PIXELMATOR is giving Photoshop a run for its money. For $670 less, PIXELMATOR can do just about anything Photoshop can do. From what I can see, there are a lot of the same filters, color adjustments, blending modes, tools, brushes and full-customization of each. Even the layout of the program is similar in regards to windows and tool palettes. Think of this app as the "things most people use photoshop for anyway" program. Its Photoshop with black windows. If you already have Photoshop, I would still reccomend this program.

I did this in about 15 minutes:
Almost as hard as fighting a Holy Paladin.

Bahamut God
Wrong Kind of Special
Org Profile

Post by Bahamut God » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:31 am

Compression Software:

MPEG Streamclip

Greatest program outside of compressor, and free! Really amazing.

http://www.squared5.com/

Get it twice mac editors.
[Visit my Profile, it hates Bush!]
[Feel bad for someone who killed a kid]
"I'm telling you, I want to be a loser."-Khushrenada
I have a titley thing, and you might not. ^_^/

TEKnician
Org Profile

Post by TEKnician » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:02 am

Bahamut God wrote:Compression Software:
MPEG Streamclip
Greatest program outside of compressor, and free! Really amazing.
NOt as useful without the mpeg2 playback component.

I prefer:

Title: HANDBRAKE
Company: (open source)
System: Mac OSX 10.5+
Web link: http://handbrake.fr/downloads.php
Price range: free

Granted, not as much pre-processing filters as most (and it only converts to m4v) but since you're converting from DVDs anyways...the quality is perfect. I ripped countless DVDs so far (720x480 res) with no clarity degradation and no black lines, stuttering, combing, nothing. It even converts other video files to m4v.
Almost as hard as fighting a Holy Paladin.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Re: MacOS Software List (Updated 2017)

Post by Kionon » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:59 am

This list has been brought up-to-date. Several programs have reached obsolescence, either due to age, capability, or compatibility and have been removed from this list. Others no longer exist. Some have more recent versions but been purchased by other companies. Most have had significant price changes, either lowered significantly, or turned into subscription services.

I am currently running and actively using in my projects (yes, I am editing, but we'll see if anything gets finished this year):

MakeMKV
Avidemux
MPEG Streamclip
Premiere CS5
Photoshop CS3 and CS5
AfterEffects CS5

I have access to other programs on this list but have limited interest, at this juncture, in using them, since in my current projects there's no need.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Re: MacOS Software List (Updated 2017)

Post by Kionon » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:07 pm

Currently testing AMVtool Beta 8 for l33tmeatwad on Mac. So far, so good. It has been added to the software list.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

grumpy_karen
Org Profile

Re: MacOS Software List (Updated 5/5/2017)

Post by grumpy_karen » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:05 am

Hey y'all! I literally made account because I wanna start making amvs/mmvs again but I previously used a window 7 and Sony Vegas Pro 11. I'm extremely broke because I'm a college student. :( So I do not want to spend a lot of money on a expensive program so I was wondering is Final Cut Express 4 any good? I mostly want a program I can have multiple layers, use overlays and sparkles, and be able to mask. I was also used to new blue effects so I was wondering if I can zoom and out in this program and also use motion blur? I don't want to waste my money on a program that doesn't have what I want. If someone can recommend better programs or where I can obtain cheap versions of a program, I would really appreciate it. I hope someone can answer some of my questions. Thanks <3

Return to “Mac Software”