Avisynth Use on Intel Macs

For discussion on Mac software and video editing on Mac computers.
Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Re: Avisynth Use on Intel Macs

Post by Qyot27 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:54 pm

Kionon wrote:DO NOT USE LAGARITH, ONLY USE HUFFYUV. The former does not work with Mac, and so your Mac programs outside of the Crossover environment will not be able to read a lagarith file. Do not even consider the other options, and there should be a few. Only those two are lossless, and only HUFFYUV is what you need.
As kind of a heads-up on this front, there is actually a Lagarith decoding patch (and possibly even Lagarith encoding, if I'm interpreting the references to lagarith-rangecoder correctly) being run through its trials on the FFmpeg mailing list. No idea when it'll be completed and committed, nor when or if that addition would make its way into Perian, though.

My own attempts to patch and compile FFmpeg with that in there failed, so I can't tell you how well it works, unfortunately. But after it's committed that'll be resolved anyway.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:22 am

I want to confirm here that AVS files work in windows Premiere 6.5 run under crossover. Normal AVIs don't. Why, I haven't got a clue. MPG files also crash the program, but mp3 and wav audio work. If you want to make AVISource AVS files for your clips, or just edit with AVS files, this is good news.

I can finally go back to Iron Cheffing. It's a lot easier and faster if I can do it with AVS files.

Scintilla, I'll look into Pro 1.0 and see if this runs. What clipping method do you usually use?
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:58 am

Kionon wrote:Scintilla, I'll look into Pro 1.0 and see if this runs. What clipping method do you usually use?
Thanks! And none -- I nearly always edit with scripts.

(Only exception so far is the three-years-unfinished multi-anime video I've got where I only needed very specific clips from certain series; in that case I saved them as HuffYUV.)
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:19 am

I'll get to it after the AAC deadline.

I gotsta finish the goddamn Minmay. :down:
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:57 am

Additional info on the Premiere 6.5 front. PSD files also work.

However, once you render, because rendering is pulling from an actual AVI file, you can no longer watch it. I had to physically replace the clips on this timeline with copies of the rendered preview files to continue the editing process. This seriously negates the convenience of using even the so far allowed AVS files.

There must be something that Premiere is using to display avi files that does not display properly through the monitor window that does not affect its ability to properly render, nor affects other programs that use avi files, such as vdubmod or avisynth itself.

I is confuzzled. :?
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Qyot27
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:45 am

Kionon wrote:There must be something that Premiere is using to display avi files that does not display properly through the monitor window that does not affect its ability to properly render, nor affects other programs that use avi files, such as vdubmod or avisynth itself.
DirectShow, probably. There have certainly been times I'd installed ffdshow and the familiar 'do you want ffdshow to decode this?' dialog sprang up after Premiere was finished exporting and the preview window appeared. That dialog only shows up for the DirectShow part of ffdshow's interface, as it and the audio decoder are the only ones to have the blacklist/whitelist that dialog is facilitate.

Although if this is more haphazard and not regular at all, then I'm out of ideas.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:16 pm

Well, I can't run the VFW Configuration for ffdshow on Crossover. It crashes before even opening, although the icon appears on the dock for a few seconds.

Knowing what I know, which is that Crossover does not appear to have DirectShow, I can only conclude that must be the issue. I don't suppose there is a way to tell premiere NOT to use directshow, and to use instead whatever it is vdubmod avisynth use, or even better, install directshow to the crossover framework?

I don't think I ever tried installing directshow as a standalone in windows...
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:57 pm

Kionon wrote:Knowing what I know, which is that Crossover does not appear to have DirectShow, I can only conclude that must be the issue. I don't suppose there is a way to tell premiere NOT to use directshow, and to use instead whatever it is vdubmod avisynth use...
VFW (Video For Windows) -- but I thought WMM was the only major editing program that used DirectShow (because DivX logos aren't a problem in other editors)?
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:31 pm

My windows knowledge is arcane- how does one access control of VFW?
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Qyot27
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:35 am

Scintilla wrote:
Kionon wrote:Knowing what I know, which is that Crossover does not appear to have DirectShow, I can only conclude that must be the issue. I don't suppose there is a way to tell premiere NOT to use directshow, and to use instead whatever it is vdubmod avisynth use...
VFW (Video For Windows) -- but I thought WMM was the only major editing program that used DirectShow (because DivX logos aren't a problem in other editors)?
It strongly seems that Premiere isn't fully committed to one framework or the other - VFW might be used for the actual editing process, but DirectShow would launch for preview playback and so on. I am speaking of Premiere 6.5 here, so I have no clue if any of the Pro versions do it differently.
Kionon wrote:Well, I can't run the VFW Configuration for ffdshow on Crossover. It crashes before even opening, although the icon appears on the dock for a few seconds.

Knowing what I know, which is that Crossover does not appear to have DirectShow, I can only conclude that must be the issue. I don't suppose there is a way to tell premiere NOT to use directshow, and to use instead whatever it is vdubmod avisynth use, or even better, install directshow to the crossover framework?

I don't think I ever tried installing directshow as a standalone in windows...
Hmm, maybe it has to do with the version of Crossover compared to Wine. I can access the VFW configuration without issues using the stock WineHQ version (although the format selection dialog isn't clickable at all), but that also wasn't under OS X. If Crossover maintains the file registry Wine also ships with (it's just regedit) you should be able to load in a .reg containing all the proper configuration, like this one (most useful with a new build of ffdshow-tryouts, although I made that .reg file back in June of this year).

I have no idea if winetricks will even work under Crossover, but if it does it might be able to get DirectShow kind of working (supposedly there is an OS X frontend for winetricks, TRiX, but it didn't mention anything about Crossover). To get DirectShow to work, Crossover or winetricks or whatever method needs to be able to install and run the Windows SDK. According to the list on the winetricks page, it can install the Windows Server 2003 Platform SDK, which should work. Whether it nets reliable DirectShow coverage, on the other hand...

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibilit ... pp_id=1137

Return to “Mac Software”