Avisynth Use on Intel Macs

For discussion on Mac software and video editing on Mac computers.
Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Avisynth Use on Intel Macs

Post by Kionon » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:41 pm

i. This assumes you already know the basics of editing and the concepts behind preparing footage. If you do not, please read the entire sticky in General AMV.

A. Getting Ready

Download and install Crossover Mac Pro or a WINE binary for Macintosh.

Download and install AMVapp inside of Crossover or WINE. The tests won't work, but AMVapp will.

Download and install SimpleMovieX or MPEGStreamClip. The choice is yours.

Download and install MacTheRipper (Mirror).

Download and install Perian.

B. Ripping

Go to MacTheRipper.

The disc should be automatically detected. Go to File > Save To.. and select the destination folder. Choose mode. Choose to De-Macrovision. Choose change region to all. Press Go.

C. Indexing

Go to Crossover > Programs > AMVapp > DGMPEGDEC and open DGIndex

Select File > Open > VOB DESTINATION FOLDER and select all VOB files you want included. Confirm that all the VOB files you want are included. Choose OK. Select File > Save Project to index your VOB files. When you are finished, you will have produced three files: a d2v file, an avs file, and an audio file of some sort.

D. Cleaning via Avisynth

Take the AVS file and open it with textedit(or whatever basic text editor you want). In order to clean footage via Avisynth you need to issue it commands by writing them in the file you just opened. These commands vary according to the specific source you are using and what you specifically want from the source. AVS files are as individual as the editors writing them and debate abounds over which commands to use.

As an example, this is an AVS file for Kujibiki Unbalance:

Code: Select all

mpeg2source("C:\windows\profiles\crossover\Desktop\My Mac Desktop\AMV stuff\kewp\kewp.d2v")
ConvertToYV12()
TComb()
TDecimate()
KernelBob(order=1,sharp=true,threshold=8)
BlendBob(badFrames=0)
SDDeRainbow()
deen("a3d",4)
aWarpSharp()
Crop(32,16,-32,-16)
LanczosResize(640,480)
The above commands remove telecining, interlacing, and crop the edges of the footage, as well as remove noise, sharpen edges, and output to a suitable resolution for the original video's aspect ratio.

E. Clipping

Go to Crossover > Programs > AMVapp > VirtualDubMod and open VirtualDubMod.

Select File > Open Video File and select your AVS file.

You can now “scrub” (that is, move) through all of the video you have indexed with the Avisynth commands applied. The more commands, the slower this “scrubbing” will be, so be prepared. At the bottom of the VirtualDubMod window, you will have a row of buttons. The last two on the far right are Inset and Outset buttons. These allow you to choose what part of the video you want to export out for use in your editor. The chosen segment will be shown with band of color going from the selected Inset to the selected Outset. To export select File > Save As and choose file name and file type. Remember to choose huffyuv ONLY. Lagarith is not supported outside of the Crossover environment.

You may find your editor will not take the huffyuv in AVI. Have SimpleMovieX or MPEGStreamClip save the file as a MOV. This does not reencode. It simply moves the encoded video to a container your editor probably likes better.

You may now begin to edit.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

hasteroth
lost the bet
Org Profile

Re: Avisynth Use on Intel Macs

Post by hasteroth » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:54 pm

OR you could be a tool like me and run AMVapp in Parallels.
:awesome:
<Hacchinya> Stirspeare: ambassador of gaysex
<Stirspeare> Hacchinya: God's own ambassador.

Enigma
That jolly ol' bastid
Org Profile

Post by Enigma » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:12 pm

Really helpfull,I'm getting a MAC soon so thank you ALOT <3.Sticky this sheet up n0w :awesome:

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:08 am

Soup wrote:Really helpfull,I'm getting a MAC soon so thank you ALOT <3.Sticky this sheet up n0w :awesome:
It is stickied.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Bauzi
Location: Austria (uhm the other country without kangaroos^^)
Org Profile

Post by Bauzi » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:00 pm

Great. I'll get a Mac soon and I'm happy that I can still use Avisynth for processing my DVDs :up:
You can find me on YT under "Bauzi514". Subscribe to never miss my AMV releases. :amv:

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:04 pm

Wait. AVISynth works under WINE now?

If Premiere Pro, FL Studio, and my many many games (like Melty Blood) can work that way as well, I may no longer have a reason to stick with Windows...
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:56 pm

Scintilla wrote:Wait. AVISynth works under WINE now?

If Premiere Pro, FL Studio, and my many many games (like Melty Blood) can work that way as well, I may no longer have a reason to stick with Windows...
It really depends. I've not done extensive testing, but I don't believe AVISource nor DirectShowSource work, due to the lack of those parts being well-ported yet* (although it probably will eventually get there as the feature completeness of Wine and ReactOS fill what 2000 and XP can accomplish). FFmpegSource and DGDecode/MPEG2Source should work fine, though. Heck, FFmpegSource2 can be natively compiled as a Linux binary for use with Aegisub, and I figure that probably also applies to OS X.

*Maybe there's a solution via WineTricks, though. Most DirectShow-based stuff fails miserably for me for whatever reason, but that may be due to my not using those things to install extra components. If only there was an easier way to copy the relevant DLLs from an authorized Windows disc.

Granted, I'm speaking from how it works on Ubuntu with the official Wine repos; I could never get Tiger to work well with Wine, which is the only OS X setup I've got access to. Obviously I'd be easier for those without that version restriction.

It does help to check the Wine AppDB, although there's a lot of stuff on there that doesn't get updated for X or Y distribution or Wine version.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:28 am

I haven't actually tried WINE recently. Crossover is good enough for me, as I pretty much only use MPEG2Source when working off DVDs. No need for anything else. I don't think DirectShowSource would work, but it hasn't been necessary to try.

Premiere Pro runs natively on Mac now as of CS3. That's what I edit with. I am unfamiliar with FL Studio, and I do not play video games of any sort period.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:59 am

Kionon wrote:Premiere Pro runs natively on Mac now as of CS3. That's what I edit with.
I meant the original Premiere Pro -- I don't want to have to buy a whole new version if I can avoid it. :P
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:30 pm

Premiere 6.5 sorta runs, but I haven't really messed with it recently. Maybe Premiere Pro 1 will run. You'd just have to try it.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Return to “Mac Software”