Need help getting all raw anime to work with Final Cut/Adobe

For discussion on Mac software and video editing on Mac computers.
Bakuryu42
Org Profile

Need help getting all raw anime to work with Final Cut/Adobe

Post by Bakuryu42 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:09 pm

I have alot of raw Soul Eater episodes some are in avi and others are in mp4. For the avi ones only the first few episodes will load which is really strange. The mp4 ones will load in Final Cut, but they are slow and need to be rendered and even on a beefed up Mac it says around 6 to 12 hours. So what can I convert them to so that they are in the roughly the same quality and and maybe smaller size, and work with Final Cut and or Adobe Premier? I tried converting some of the mp4 to avi using SUPER encoder by eRightsoft, but I keep getting crappy quality not matter what settings I put it on even after its rendered.

Vivaldi
Polemic Apologist
Org Profile

Post by Vivaldi » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:00 pm

There's lots of guides for this stuff around, lurk more. Also you problem is that your codec for the avi files is probably DivX\Xvid, and the MP4 files are probably h264, neither of you should be edited with, you'll need to convert to an editing codec like lagarith or huffYUV. The quality will be exactly the same because it's lossless, but there's no way you'll get a smaller file size. You are going to be looking at 50+ megs at best for a 15 second clip, so you should convert in sections.

Other than that, read the guides and stickies for details

Also, please read the forum rules
<Kenzichu> HAHAHA!!
<Kenzichu> everyone died!

Bakuryu42
Org Profile

Post by Bakuryu42 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:40 am

What would I search for, for these guides? Also SUPER convert cant seem to convert it right im not sure what, any suggestions on a better converter? So you suggest cutting the footage ahead of time instead of in the program (Adobe Premier/Final Cut)? Once converted I guess I could use VirtualDub for that right? I don't see any stickies, not sure where the guides are, are they just mixed up in this whole section? What would I search for "Converting to editing codecs"?

Bakuryu42
Org Profile

Post by Bakuryu42 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:51 am

Ok so I figured out what SUPER converter is doing, it is doing it, but the file is so large its taking forever, and it doing multiple passes for some reason, the file got up to 19gb which is ridiculous. But I don't see a way to cut these clips before converting them, not seems to open them correctly. Also my last post came off demanding so I apologize, I'm just trying to find some kind of direction so I am not constantly asking people stuff.

Vivaldi
Polemic Apologist
Org Profile

Post by Vivaldi » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:21 pm

Well, here's a very nice step by step quick start guide with a section for macs, including download links for anything you'll need.

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/phpBB/v ... hp?t=69573

And here's a more in depth theory\technical guide based on windows, but the concepts and explanations will help anyway:

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/avtechbeta/

I'd recommend the first guide for now since you're in the middle of a project, but you should read them both at some point or another.

And here's a list of pretty much *most* of the guides on this site, it's to the left on the main page:

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/
<Kenzichu> HAHAHA!!
<Kenzichu> everyone died!

Bakuryu42
Org Profile

Post by Bakuryu42 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:39 pm

Thank you so much you have been very helpful. I am looking through them right now, I haven't spotted much on converting yet, but I haven't check it all completely either, also I installed the lagarith codec, but it wont show up in Super Converter, Im going to try huffYUV again on a lower bitrate it was at the highest before, probably my problem. If not im not sure what to do I just want to convert them to something Adobe and Final Cut can read for right now, when I am finished I use a different codec to make it small and nice looking right now I want the best quality, and hopefully not 200gb for a clip.

Return to “Mac Software”