From the Mac to the Org?

For discussion on Mac software and video editing on Mac computers.
LantisEscudo
Org Profile

Post by LantisEscudo » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:53 pm

I'm on a G4, so a PPC build would certainly be welcomed by me.

Tab.
Org Profile

Post by Tab. » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:42 am

Working with MacPorts to reinvigorate the consistently broken and outdated video Ports (GStreamer, FFMPEG, MPlayer, x264, Xvid, etc) so we can avoid having to compile our own binaries.
Open source video on Mac needs more love, fast.
◔ ◡ ◔

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:26 am

I too am on a G4, so I second the PPC builds.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:20 pm

kmv wrote:
Qyot27 wrote:I think the two most integral would be getting recent revisions of both x264 and MP4Box built. The others are already well- or fairly well-covered on OS X (although MKVToolNix OS X builds are still at 2.0 rather than 2.1).
shell wrote:$ x264 --version
x264 0.57.709
That's what I have built right now, it is an intel build but without mp4 output support. Will that do, or do you want PPC and/or mp4 support as well? Also, are you only interested in the binary or you need the library and header as well (they are NOT needed to run the binary).
If the library and header is just the source code and provides no other purpose, then I don't need it, but I won't object if it's there.

MP4 support would be helpful, though - that way I'm pretty sure you don't have to declare the framerate value at any point (or would only have to do so once during the encoding phase itself, as MP4Box automatically detects fps within MP4 during any sort of muxing - if it were a raw h264 file then you'd need to tell it what fps to mux at).

Others have requested the PPC build, the ones I'd be more likely to work on are the Intel Macs, though.

kmv
Org Profile

Post by kmv » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:47 pm

Sorry for the delay in getting this lot online, but I have spent the last few days in bed with the flu and haven't wanted to do much of anything.

In any case, I have decided that since there is an interest I will start making my builds available in general, and attempt to keep them up to date on an onging basis. To this end I have created a download/distribution area on my website.

I haven't created 'proper' distribution packages for these, or built PPC versions yet, but I will get onto these next.

In the mean time I have simply arranged the zip contents into a reasonable directory structure which you can then copy into your chosen locations. Personally, I recommend: /usr/local/

If you note any problems, let me know.

Qyot27
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:26 pm

Much appreciated.

Is it possible to compile in AVI input support for the x264 builds? That way it can autodetect both the resolution and framerate (thus completely removing the need to declare framerate at any point of the encoding process if MP4 output support is also enabled), and doesn't switch or mangle the planes of Uncompressed YV12 as opposed to I420*.

*Encoded with ffdshow's VFW interface - maybe it is splitting hairs because it supports encoding to either one, but dumping the YV12-marked file to raw with avi2raw and attempting to encode it turned everything blue; the I420 option retained all the proper colors. Giving it the YV12 file, except in AVI, also resulted in proper color retention. It just seems to be an issue when giving it a raw YV12 file. Note: these are behaviours I noticed on the Windows rev.709 build by Cef, but I have no reason to believe that part would be different under another OS - I'll be able to test it on the Mac tomorrow.

Does it also have to be run with sudo as well? That seemed to be the only way I could get it to do anything, but maybe I was doing something wrong (I was running it from a flash drive, which is my guess if it isn't normally required).

kmv
Org Profile

Post by kmv » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:38 pm

Qyot27 wrote:Is it possible to compile in AVI input support for the x264 builds?
I'll check the latest SVN but as of the version I currently have, no. "--enable-avis-input" seems to be a WIN32 option only.
Qyot27 wrote:if MP4 output support is also enabled
I will build this in.
Qyot27 wrote:Does it also have to be run with sudo as well?
<facepalm> No, it doesn't, that is my fault. I screwed up the uid's and permissions in the zip. I will fix this in the next release too as I will be releasing .pkg's

kmv
Org Profile

Post by kmv » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:42 pm

Could I please have a willing PPC guinea pig contact me? (PM, email, feedback on my site, etc.)

I don't have a PPC machine and want someone to test my universal builds. Thanks.

Qyot27
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:46 pm

kmv wrote:
Qyot27 wrote:Is it possible to compile in AVI input support for the x264 builds?
I'll check the latest SVN but as of the version I currently have, no. "--enable-avis-input" seems to be a WIN32 option only.
I was afraid of that, but considering the AVI support is paired into AviSynth support, it doesn't surprise me. I wonder how it would be possible to give it something where the framerate and resolution is autodetected, then. The only thing I could think of is piping ffmpeg's output to x264, but I'm not sure that would do it.
kmv wrote:Could I please have a willing PPC guinea pig contact me? (PM, email, feedback on my site, etc.)

I don't have a PPC machine and want someone to test my universal builds. Thanks.
How old, exactly? I'm not sure what x264 (or Universal Binary) basic requirements are on OS X, but we've got an old iBook that runs Jaguar.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:07 am

I volunteered. My mac is a testbed already, anyhow.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Return to “Mac Software”