I have Fianl Cut Express.

For discussion on Mac software and video editing on Mac computers.
Saberstrike
Org Profile

I have Fianl Cut Express.

Post by Saberstrike » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:07 am

Hey guys i been on this site along time and you guys are awesoe. I've been making music vids for about 4 years now. Never posted them here cause i never felt they were good enough. But on with my question. I just got my mac, And i purshaced Final cut express with it. I DL'd the program Handbrake to be able to rip movies to the harddrive to make vids from. My problem is, Im not relaly sure which formate I have to to rip them as for them to be compatable with final cut express. So im asking all you wizards for help. im new to Macs. I'm use to working with vegas Video or Adobe but now im completly lost in the word of APPLE. Thank you for your time and for reading this.

Saberstrike

Shazzy
Org Profile

Post by Shazzy » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:24 pm

You'll need to encode it as DV to work with FCE. And for your reference, here is a list of differences between FCE and FCP.

* Express is DV only (NTSC and PAL frame rates only, no 24fps support).
* Pro supports 3rd party capture cards.
* Pro supports timecode, Final Cut Express does not present timecode information to the user.
* Pro allows you to LOG and capture.
* Pro includes support for RS-422 control.
* Pro users can use OfflineRT, Express can not.
* Pro includes three-way color correction and other advanced tools that Express does not.
* The keyframing model is substantially different in Express. Only Motion tab items can be keyframed. Filters cannot.
* Pro has a Media Manager, Express does not.
* Pro supports EDL I/O.
* Pro can be extended with Cinema Tools.
* Pro includes Audio OMF export.
* Pro supports Edit To Tape and Insert editing.
* Pro can do a Batch Export.
* FXScript is not in Express.
* AE plug-ins are not in Express.
* Levels of undo: FCP = 99, FCE = 32.
AMV guides for Mac users
DOWNLOAD THIS AMV
Quarter-life crisis: a sense that everyone is, somehow, doing better than you.

Shazzy
Org Profile

Post by Shazzy » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:24 pm

Also, check out the Mac AMV Guides. Handbrake isn't the ideal program for ripping if you want to edit your files.
AMV guides for Mac users
DOWNLOAD THIS AMV
Quarter-life crisis: a sense that everyone is, somehow, doing better than you.

Saberstrike
Org Profile

Post by Saberstrike » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:23 pm

Thanks soo much for your response. I'm checking into it

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:33 am

Kionon wrote: Ripping

Mac users will use a program called "mac the ripper." It is free. It functions exactly the same way as DVD Decryptor, except it has a cute little bomberman like cartoon mascot that pops up when you have succesfully ripped.

Converting

You will not need to use AVS or the like to convert your files. A program called Diva does it all for you. It comes with a wide range of codecs to choose from. I chose DV NTSC, for instance, in order to edit with. You can crop, deinterlace, etc just like in AVS/VirtualDobMod. You can then drop these files into iMovie or Final Cut Pro, and the steps are very much the same. Unlike VirtualDubMod, Diva only converts from Vob files, it will not convert from other formats to other formats.
I do not have FCE, but I assume the process is much the same. I will note, you CAN work edit directly from Vobs in FCP, but I don't recommend it.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Return to “Mac Software”