Final Cut Pro is the evil doom Dx

For discussion on Mac software and video editing on Mac computers.
Shazzy
Org Profile

Post by Shazzy » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:04 am

Y'know what? Considering all the stuff you still cannot do (properly) on a Mac for video, I'm surprised at why many professionals still use it. :|
Probably because they're hardcore creatives and can't stand to look at the Windows OS. Take that as you will! :wink:

And yeah, the guide's server is down, should be up by next week, though.
AMV guides for Mac users
DOWNLOAD THIS AMV
Quarter-life crisis: a sense that everyone is, somehow, doing better than you.

dokool
Sir Gaijin Smash
Org Profile

Post by dokool » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:31 pm

Willen wrote:Y'know what? Considering all the stuff you still cannot do (properly) on a Mac for video, I'm surprised at why many professionals still use it. :|
I don't really think that what we do (viz. ripping DVDs, filtering them, and editing them) has anything to do with what professionals use Macs and FCP for. The NLE AMVing scene really evolved with Wintel/Premiere (because it's cheaper) and so that's why a majority of support is based around Windows.

I'm not at all trashing my MBP as an editing system - I've done some WONDERFUL things in Motion and I look forward to really rolling on editing this video, but unless the likes of trythil, Zarxrax, etc decide to suddenly focus intently on making apps for Universal (the odds of which are somewhere between slim and none) that will help the few AMVers using the OS out, you're better off using each system for its strengths.

elvirasweeney
Org Profile

Post by elvirasweeney » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:18 am

I use DVDxDV for selecting clips from a ripped VOB file. The quality can be pretty good. Now, I'm a newbie so I'm sure I'm getting all sorts of things wrong, but it seems pretty okay to me. I've tried importing uncompressed MOV files converted from the VOB, and I really couldn't see much difference in quality.

JudgeHolden
Org Profile

Post by JudgeHolden » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:47 pm

dokool wrote:
Willen wrote:Y'know what? Considering all the stuff you still cannot do (properly) on a Mac for video, I'm surprised at why many professionals still use it. :|
I don't really think that what we do (viz. ripping DVDs, filtering them, and editing them) has anything to do with what professionals use Macs and FCP for. The NLE AMVing scene really evolved with Wintel/Premiere (because it's cheaper) and so that's why a majority of support is based around Windows.

I'm not at all trashing my MBP as an editing system - I've done some WONDERFUL things in Motion and I look forward to really rolling on editing this video, but unless the likes of trythil, Zarxrax, etc decide to suddenly focus intently on making apps for Universal (the odds of which are somewhere between slim and none) that will help the few AMVers using the OS out, you're better off using each system for its strengths.
I concure ... I use a Final Cut Studio (I LOVE motion), but I would never suggest someone use it to edit amvs (at least at first). You have to do alot of experimenting just to get started (damn learning curve).

dokool
Sir Gaijin Smash
Org Profile

Post by dokool » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:07 am

elvirasweeney wrote:I use DVDxDV for selecting clips from a ripped VOB file. The quality can be pretty good. Now, I'm a newbie so I'm sure I'm getting all sorts of things wrong, but it seems pretty okay to me. I've tried importing uncompressed MOV files converted from the VOB, and I really couldn't see much difference in quality.
Yeah, and for all I know you're right, but that's an $80 program according to the website for all the functionality you need (including 3:2 pulldown removal). My point is that all of the pre-processing/post-processing stuff that works wonderfully in Windows, all (or most) open-source freeware, either costs money on OSX, doesn't work well if it's freeware, or just doesn't exist period.

JudgeHolden
Org Profile

Post by JudgeHolden » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:58 am

dokool wrote:
elvirasweeney wrote:I use DVDxDV for selecting clips from a ripped VOB file. The quality can be pretty good. Now, I'm a newbie so I'm sure I'm getting all sorts of things wrong, but it seems pretty okay to me. I've tried importing uncompressed MOV files converted from the VOB, and I really couldn't see much difference in quality.
Yeah, and for all I know you're right, but that's an $80 program according to the website for all the functionality you need (including 3:2 pulldown removal). My point is that all of the pre-processing/post-processing stuff that works wonderfully in Windows, all (or most) open-source freeware, either costs money on OSX, doesn't work well if it's freeware, or just doesn't exist period.
The problem with that program is it doesn't deinterlace, meaning that you will need to send it through a deinterlacing program (Like the ones on Shazzy's site) ... or deinterlace in your timeline ... but to do this you will need to by a filter package like Nattress Film Effects (which I like alot) http://www.nattress.com/ for the native deinterlacing filter in FCP and Motion suxs.

JH

ReXMaster
Org Profile

Re: Final Cut Pro is the evil doom Dx

Post by ReXMaster » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:04 am

kittehpawz wrote:I jsut got a mac form my dad its a g4 and its like not the newest version of osx so nothign seems to work right wiht it x.x; Anyways i got final cut pro 4 but for some reason after i import anythign its like "unrendered" when i try to play it >> Then when i try to render it it says like 13 hours remaining Dx; Is there any way I can fix this? D:
for one thing why a mac.........

Shazzy
Org Profile

Post by Shazzy » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:35 pm

If you're really missing the free Avisynth deinterlace filters, we're halfway there with Avidemux. As you can see:

I also wrote a little how-to for Avidemux.

The biggest problem is there's no lossless conversion. It only supports ffmpeg's codecs, and the only lossless one on that list is Huffyuv. So until the Huffyuv Quicktime component is finished, don't expect to edit any Huffy files in Final Cut.

In other words, if you're really dying to use TDeint, you can run it via a Mjpeg conversion then convert that to something lossless for editing.
AMV guides for Mac users
DOWNLOAD THIS AMV

Shazzy
Org Profile

Post by Shazzy » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:43 pm

And speaking of Nattress Film Effects (there's also a deinterlacing plug-in that comes with Final Cut), the easiest way to deinterlace DURING editing is sequence nesting. Do not kill yourself by applying the deinterlace filter to each clip. Edit your whole thing, then nest that sequence in "deinterlace" sequence. That will apply the filter to all your clips at once. I can show you how to do that if you need me to.
AMV guides for Mac users
DOWNLOAD THIS AMV

JudgeHolden
Org Profile

Post by JudgeHolden » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:41 am

I just found this page ...

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/fc ... index.html

Some interesting stuff there ...

As for Nattress .... I would only nest if you are using one source ... multi source anime needs a different approach. :wink:

Return to “Mac Software”