Ripping blurays onto a diskdriveless iMac

For discussion on Mac software and video editing on Mac computers.
yKazari
Org Profile

Re: Ripping blurays onto a diskdriveless iMac

Post by yKazari » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:29 pm

I usually was "fine" with MakeMKV until I wanted the OP/ED (the whole reason I bought the Blood-C complete series) but It only seems to detect the main episodes and the continuous version of all episodes. The only way I have found to get better selection and control is to Backup the entire disk to my server, search trough the streams and find the one I need, and re-encode them with ffmpeg.

I know there really is not much good software out there for BluRay. I use Mac DVDRipper Pro and thats a great example of what I like to see, just enough control and looks nice.
Yukimi Kazari "Kazari da Editor"
Studio Setup: MacBook Pro 2017 (i7 3.1GHz), HP 32q, CalDigit TS3+, Apple Magic Keyboard/Mouse/Trackpad

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:56 pm

Well, it is at least possible to cut out the backup step. As long as you have the timecode information for whatever chapter it is in the corresponding playlist (mediainfo can do this if you know which playlist you need to query), you can have mpv convert it to [insert format here] straight from the disc using --start and --end to specify the in/out points. Just so long as you can play the disc with mpv in the first place - and for that there are two options: libaacs+the disc's keys being in KEYDB.cfg, or MakeMKV's libmmbd symlinked to libaacs so it gets used in libaacs compatibility mode (no keys get backed up this way, which is unfortunate, but it supports newer discs than the plain libaacs method currently can).

The only downside is that you'll have to actually convert; it won't do direct stream copy (even when I tried FFmpeg, it was able to convert when using the bluray: protocol, but couldn't direct stream copy).
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Post by SQ » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:11 pm

yKazari wrote:I usually was "fine" with MakeMKV until I wanted the OP/ED (the whole reason I bought the Blood-C complete series) but It only seems to detect the main episodes and the continuous version of all episodes.
There is a setting in MakeMKV you need to change.
Under the "video" tab, at the bottom is an "options" area.
It says "minimum title length (seconds)". Change this to something smaller than 60.

I am not sure why this isn't in any guides (especially the AMV-related ones). But this option's default is 120, which obviously skips anything under 2 minutes. I suspect it was originally created to skip all the FBI warnings and stuff, but this is obviously detrimental if you want clean OP/EDs.
StandardQuip
Discord: @standardquip
BentoVid (previously AMV Sashimi) Discord Server

yKazari
Org Profile

Post by yKazari » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:11 pm

WOW how did I not see that (or I guess I didn't understand it)
Thanks for that
Studio Setup: MacBook Pro 2017 (i7 3.1GHz), HP 32q, CalDigit TS3+, Apple Magic Keyboard/Mouse/Trackpad

TreasonsBeta
Org Profile

Post by TreasonsBeta » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:30 am

Qyot27 I see the SATA-to-USB adapter cables now that you pointed it out. My bad, I've never heard or used anything like that so I glanced over it. :sweat: I'm glad to hear it will work on both operating systems. It would really suck if I bought it only to not have it work. I have had issues dealing with software compatibility with macs over the years and I didn't realize the bluray it'self would be running off a driver like a flash drive. A while back, I had to reformat old external hard drives from windows to mac to be able to transfer files so I didn't know exactly how that process would translate to the USB bluray. :|

:up: I'd like to second yKazari's statement about control over which chapters to rip so you can do pieces instead of a whole. I haven't had a chance to use it but I noticed other people had the same issues here.
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17343
It was suggested that after a whole file rip, to use MKVtoolnix or Handbrake. This seems like a lot of time wasted just to make segments that won't crash your editing software. I personally had to use FLV Crunch for my old files.

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:51 pm

TreasonsBeta wrote:A while back, I had to reformat old external hard drives from windows to mac to be able to transfer files so I didn't know exactly how that process would translate to the USB bluray. :|
More than likely that was just a filesystem issue, since NTFS support on OS X/macOS has been either third-party-only (Paragon NTFS or something like that) or in the more recent versions of macOS itself, read-only. I'm not sure if write support has been added in the newest iterations, but FAT32 should have been cross-compatible all the way back to Tiger, at least.
:up: I'd like to second yKazari's statement about control over which chapters to rip so you can do pieces instead of a whole. I haven't had a chance to use it but I noticed other people had the same issues here.
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17343
It was suggested that after a whole file rip, to use MKVtoolnix or Handbrake. This seems like a lot of time wasted just to make segments that won't crash your editing software. I personally had to use FLV Crunch for my old files.
To be honest, I'm far more likely to either:

A) Rip using MakeMKV's Backup option (which preserves the entire disc structure as-is, it just removes the AACS and BD+), and then burn that to a BD-R for future use and reduce any potential wear on the original disc. The Backup on the hard drive can also be used as input for MKVtoolNix to parse chapters out, and if I wanted to edit with it, it would only be a simple copy operation, and/or far faster than having to rip first if I wanted to use MKVtoolNix.

or

B) If I want to use it to edit, I'd want to be able to scrub the entire episode/series/etc., and doing that from an optical drive is painful (only 4x read speed level painful). You have to really know which parts you want ahead of time. If you've got the whole thing ripped to the hard drive first, then having to go back in and look for something else is essentially painless.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

yKazari
Org Profile

Post by yKazari » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:26 pm

I would use exfat as thats cross compatible and does not have the file size or disk size limit of FAT32. But ya stay away from NTFS if you plan on touching anything related to a Mac. Or just connect to the disk remotely via the windows machine over smb from the Mac (just make sure your on ethernet)

Return to “Mac Software”