MacOS Sierra Issues Here

For discussion on Mac software and video editing on Mac computers.
Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

MacOS Sierra Issues Here

Post by Kionon » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:05 am

I upgraded to MacOS Sierra today, and I assume other people will be doing so soon.

- KeyRemap4MacBook/Karabiner is dead (this is allows you to swap keys, customise your keyboard layout, or use an alternate layout, I was using JIS on a US ANSI MacBook), Tekezo says it might take a while to fix, because Sierra maps keys completely differently. I've reached out and asked what this means.

Update: I've now been able to move four keys via Karabiner-Elements, I have used the pay app Key Maestro on Trial to move the others. I'll pay for Key Maestro if Tekezo hasn't managed to set up key combination changes in Karabiner-Elements.

- Apple claimed it was dropping legacy support for Java SE 6 (which is still needed for Premiere CS5, which I only even started using grudgingly when Premiere 6.5 finally stopped being supported a few OS X versions back), but that's not true, it installed just fine, and Premiere CS5 launches okay. I haven't gotten around to actually opening up my projects yet and working with them.

As I monkey around, I'll add the issues as well as positive surprises. It'd be helpful if other Mac users did the same.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Re: MacOS Sierra Issues Here

Post by Kionon » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:34 pm

Just some screenshots of my current set up on the MacBook Pro, I'll hook it up to all the peripherals and do full desktop set up/multi-monitor set up. I'm currently at work, and not at home, so I can't open up one of my project files. If the images don't work, let me know, and I can see about modifying their permissions.

So far I'm really impressed. My 2012 MacBook Pro only has a 2.5 Ghz Intel Core i5 with 4 GB of ram (upgradeable to 16 GBs). Even with an SSD, under Yosemite and El Capitan, it had gotten really slow and difficult to work with, but as I bought it with AppleCare, which it still has, and don't plan to get something else anytime soon (as the 2012 Non-Retina MacBook Pro is the last truly upgradeable/customisable MacBook), I wasn't looking forward to getting anything newer for a while. But under Sierra, animations and launches are snappy, video seems to run a lot better, websites load and scroll faster, and it's just a generally better experience. It feels like I just made a hardware upgrade, honestly. Photoshop CS3, which I am still using, runs super fast. Much faster than it did under Yosemite or El Capitan, and likely better than when it was running under Mavericks, if my memory serves.

My one complaint so far (and we'll see what happens when I start running complex, resources heavy programs like Premiere or combinations of things like WINE/Avisynth with loads of filters) seems to be that there is a significant slow down in boot time. There's a very noticeable delay before I even get from the black screen to the gray Apple screen and loading bar, then the loading bar loads much slower than I remember, but then as soon as the bar is done, everything *snaps* forward and is ready to go. Maybe Apple's under the hood tinkering merely has hidden some of that processing to make it visually more appealing? Dunno.

More updates to follow.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Re: MacOS Sierra Issues Here

Post by Kionon » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:49 am

Derp, macOS Sierra 10.12.4 borked my macOS storage info. It says I have 42GB of iTunes, never mind I keep my iTunes on my Time Capsule and not on my SSD anyway.

I recently upgraded my MacBook Pro with a 250Gb SSD to replace the optical drive (I'll use an external for ripping, I don't require one any time I am not editing) in addition to my 64GB SSD in the main slot. I also went up to 16GB of RAM. That made a big difference inside of Premiere Pro.

Also, TamperMonkey Script for A-M-V.org Avatar Left no longer working. That's annoying.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Return to “Mac Software”