Error with AviSynth code, Need Help!

For discussion on Mac software and video editing on Mac computers.
advent87
Org Profile

Post by advent87 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:14 pm

I am having difficulty opening my Avisynth script into VirtualDud. I think I have the code right, but it keeps giving me the error message:

Avisynth open Failure:

Unable to Initialize Quicktime Environment

(C:\users\wmeunier87\Desktop\Test.avs, line 1)

Here is the script for the avs:

QTInput("C:/The_Old_Republic/Users/wmeunier87/Desktop/Upconvert_test.mov", color=2)

I need some help with this asap cause I would like to begin cleaning my videos.

Thanks

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Re: Error with AviSynth code, Need Help!

Post by Qyot27 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:59 pm

Do you have the Windows version of Quicktime installed under Wine? It will not use OS X's native Quicktime.

That aside, and especially if it doesn't work even if you do install the Windows version of Quicktime, just use FFMS2 and avoid using any of those Quicktime-specific formats that libavcodec doesn't support.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

TEKnician
Org Profile

Post by TEKnician » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:06 pm

I don't even think it knows what QuickTime is. I only know it accepts avi, mp4, and mkv. Of course your script would start as mpegsource() or avisource() instead.
Almost as hard as fighting a Holy Paladin.

Qyot27
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:32 pm

The_TEKnician wrote:I don't even think it knows what QuickTime is. I only know it accepts avi, mp4, and mkv. Of course your script would start as mpegsource() or avisource() instead.
All versions of FFmpegSource rely on libavcodec and libavformat (with some other special parsers for a couple formats) to open files and decode them. The MOV container is supported without any issues, since MP4 was based on it. Many, if not most, media programs that deal with parsing containers use a singular component to deal with both MOV and MP4 due to the structural similarities. The only significant difference for the average, non-technical user is that MP4 is used to hold only specific types of compression formats, while MOV is more general-purpose. Not all of those compression formats that MOV can hold necessarily work with libavcodec at the moment, which is why I said to use only those that are known to work if one wants to use MOV files.

QTInput (or more precisely, QTSource) requires AviSynth to interact with an installed version of QuickTime 6 or 7. AviSynth is a Windows program, therefore it needs a Windows version of QuickTime. If someone is on a Mac, this means you have to install QuickTime in Wine if you want any hope of being able to use QTInput, because AviSynth cannot talk to the Mac version of QuickTime (but due to the weirdness that sometimes occurs when trying to get things in Wine to work together, QTInput may fail to find anything even if you do install the Windows version of QuickTime under Wine, hence why FFMS2 is a far safer bet).
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

TEKnician
Org Profile

Post by TEKnician » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:43 pm

Wait a sec, so I could put mov files into Avisynth ALREADY?! Holy shit...WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE?!

advent87
Org Profile

Post by advent87 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:59 pm

Qyot27 wrote: All versions of FFmpegSource rely on libavcodec and libavformat (with some other special parsers for a couple formats) to open files and decode them. The MOV container is supported without any issues, since MP4 was based on it. Many, if not most, media programs that deal with parsing containers use a singular component to deal with both MOV and MP4 due to the structural similarities. The only significant difference for the average, non-technical user is that MP4 is used to hold only specific types of compression formats, while MOV is more general-purpose. Not all of those compression formats that MOV can hold necessarily work with libavcodec at the moment, which is why I said to use only those that are known to work if one wants to use MOV files.

QTInput (or more precisely, QTSource) requires AviSynth to interact with an installed version of QuickTime 6 or 7. AviSynth is a Windows program, therefore it needs a Windows version of QuickTime. If someone is on a Mac, this means you have to install QuickTime in Wine if you want any hope of being able to use QTInput, because AviSynth cannot talk to the Mac version of QuickTime (but due to the weirdness that sometimes occurs when trying to get things in Wine to work together, QTInput may fail to find anything even if you do install the Windows version of QuickTime under Wine, hence why FFMS2 is a far safer bet).
So what would the scripting command be?

advent87
Org Profile

Post by advent87 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:02 pm

Nm I think I know what it is
The_TEKnician wrote:I don't even think it knows what QuickTime is. I only know it accepts avi, mp4, and mkv. Of course your script would start as mpegsource() or avisource() instead.
So anything that isn't a quicktime native format. What codec would you suggest? I think I know what the answer is but I just want to have my bases covered.

TEKnician
Org Profile

Post by TEKnician » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:47 am

Well, this is what I usually do:
Spoiler :
From the dvd, rip a .vob
Index it
THEN Open AVS in textedit and apply the following:

Code: Select all

mpeg2source("C:\users\crossover\Desktop\My Mac Desktop\DURARARA.OP.1.d2v",cpu=6) <--this line should not be modified (with the exception of the "cpu=6" part)
ConvertToYV12()
tfm.tdecimate
crop(8,8,-8,-8)
LanczosResize(856,480)
temporalcleaner()
LSFmod(strength=100)

I try not to over-script my sources (as i do not need to since they are all pretty much newer anime anyways).
IS THIS WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT? Or do you need help creating your own script? I noticed you only said
advent87 wrote:Here is the script for the avs:

QTInput("C:/The_Old_Republic/Users/wmeunier87/Desktop/Upconvert_test.mov", color=2)

I need some help with this asap cause I would like to begin cleaning my videos.
My process is straight from DVD. But it seems you have game footage. You should probably post your immediate circumstances and situation so that other members can actually post helpful replies. I'm still in the "suck" category anyways :book:

Qyot27
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:53 am

advent87 wrote:So what would the scripting command be?
FFVideoSource("filename.mov")
or
FFmpegSource2("filename.mov")

or if you want audio,
FFmpegSource2("filename.mov",atrack=-1)

You may need some trial and error to find a compression format (and by that I mean H.264 Lossless, ProRes, HuffYUV, etc.) that both sides - export program and FFMS2 - can play nice with, though.

advent87
Org Profile

Post by advent87 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:42 pm

Qyot27 wrote:
advent87 wrote:So what would the scripting command be?
FFVideoSource("filename.mov")
or
FFmpegSource2("filename.mov")

or if you want audio,
FFmpegSource2("filename.mov",atrack=-1)

You may need some trial and error to find a compression format (and by that I mean H.264 Lossless, ProRes, HuffYUV, etc.) that both sides - export program and FFMS2 - can play nice with, though.
Ok I will do some experimenting and see what comes out of it.

Thanks for the help

Return to “Mac Software”