FCP X

For discussion on Mac software and video editing on Mac computers.
Kira_Douji
Org Profile

Re: FCP X

Post by Kira_Douji » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:53 pm

MKVTools or MPEGStreamClip converts pretty much everything I have that it's unhappy with. Have you tried either? :x
ImageImage

gotenks794
Org Profile

Post by gotenks794 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:59 pm

Well I didn't want to since it's supposed to be able to work with h.264 from DSLR cameras, but I'll give it a go.
MAC is a cosmetics brand. Mac is the superior computing platform. It's not an acronym.

Kira_Douji
Org Profile

Post by Kira_Douji » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:01 pm

I heard there's cameras/company specific formats/etc... that are still being added in. Unfortunately, I've only been looking at it insofar as it's capabilities for AMV editing. :sweat:
ImageImage

gotenks794
Org Profile

Post by gotenks794 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:06 pm

Ah, I suppose that would make sense. What is the container and codec of the Code Geass clips you were using in the screenshot?
MAC is a cosmetics brand. Mac is the superior computing platform. It's not an acronym.

Kira_Douji
Org Profile

Post by Kira_Douji » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:08 pm

They were originally MKV enclosed 264 clips that I used MKVtools to passthru into an MP4. Haven't had an issue yet.

I also had some avi clips that were 264 encoded and I used MPEGStreamClip to pass them through to MOV. One of the clips had a band of artifacts at the bottom of the clips after this. 1 out of 6.

- Kira
ImageImage

McDirty
Org Profile

Post by McDirty » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:33 pm

I pretty much agree with Kira_douji. Been playing around with FCPX for 4 days now myself. I have to say, I don't think it's as bad as everyone who's reviewing it says, the new interface just needs some time getting used to. Ironically, I'm personally liking the magnetic timeline actually. It's definitely something that can cause obstacles later on in editing, but nothing too big. The magnetic timeline certainly has it's benefits.
However, I went through 1 hour trying to figure out how to properly 'save' 'load' and 'delete' a simple project, both manually and within the interface. Because there is no save feature in this application. Projects are no longer created as files, instead they're created within something called events. :?

This is definitely a lot stabler than Premiere and FCP7 though. If there's one thing that I'm impressed about this program, it's FAST!

Trimming clips also took me a while to understand and while I like the skim feature while trimming, I definitely don't like the fact there is no longer a timeline for the trimming. It doesn't make precise frame by frame trimming easy, you kind of have to guess where to set your in and out points. I haven't been able to find a feature to turn the audio preview off either while skimming either, so the audio preview definitely gets annoying after a while, especially when listening to the sound of sped up footage.

I'm happy that the program treats h264 with ease, but not happy that it's very limited on containers that it accepts. But then again, it was the same thing with previous versions of FCP.

I would say that this application is definitely NOT up to par for professional video editing, especially in an team environment. However, I would actually say that editing an AMV on this is very doable and I can see someone editing an AMV very very fast on this if they get good with the workflow.

Here's also a sequence of what I've been experimenting with:
Screenshot

Kira_Douji
Org Profile

Post by Kira_Douji » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:54 pm

McDirty wrote:I pretty much agree with Kira_douji. Been playing around with FCPX for 4 days now myself. I have to say, I don't think it's as bad as everyone who's reviewing it says, the new interface just needs some time getting used to. Ironically, I'm personally liking the magnetic timeline actually. It's definitely something that can cause obstacles later on in editing, but nothing too big. The magnetic timeline certainly has it's benefits.
Yeah, I think it took me a bit to get used too at first, but I definitely agree now. Liking the magnetic timeline - although still learning to deal with storylines!
McDirty wrote:However, I went through 1 hour trying to figure out how to properly 'save' 'load' and 'delete' a simple project, both manually and within the interface. Because there is no save feature in this application. Projects are no longer created as files, instead they're created within something called events. :?
Yeah it basically works like iPhoto - love it or hate it. I can't TELL YOU how many times I catch myself spastically hitting cmd+s - it's ingrained! lol.
McDirty wrote:This is definitely a lot stabler than Premiere and FCP7 though. If there's one thing that I'm impressed about this program, it's FAST!
ZOOM! :awesome:
McDirty wrote:Trimming clips also took me a while to understand and while I like the skim feature while trimming, I definitely don't like the fact there is no longer a timeline for the trimming. It doesn't make precise frame by frame trimming easy, you kind of have to guess where to set your in and out points.
I've found it easier to clip exactly where I want before I hit the timeline. Select the clip, then use the left and right arrow to move frame by frame (shift+arrow goes faster!), hit "i" for the beginning, "o" for the end and drag it on down. Frame perfect grabs ;)

Also, you can tell FCPX not to both with the audio in the clips too - in your screenshot the buttons are right above your marker! Just hit the "Give me more options" triangle on the right of that group of three buttons and you'll be about to select "video only". (This button is also just to the left of your blue arrow "tools" button).
McDirty wrote:I haven't been able to find a feature to turn the audio preview off either while skimming either, so the audio preview definitely gets annoying after a while, especially when listening to the sound of sped up footage.
Using your picture: The first two blue highlighted buttons to the left of the "transitions" box are audio and video skimming. I nixed audio right away! ;P
McDirty wrote:I would actually say that editing an AMV on this is very doable and I can see someone editing an AMV very very fast on this if they get good with the workflow.
Seconded! :up:
ImageImage

McDirty
Org Profile

Post by McDirty » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:42 pm

Kira_Douji wrote:Using your picture: The first two blue highlighted buttons to the left of the "transitions" box are audio and video skimming. I nixed audio right away! ;P
LOL! Now I feel like a total retard, it's right there in broad daylight. :rofl:

McDirty
Org Profile

Post by McDirty » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:21 am

Hmmm...apparently something weird is going on, I don't know if it's a bug or intentional. But there's a certain clip that I add to the timeline, which causes the entire sequence to just blackout in playback. When I remove this clip from the timeline, the visuals in the entire sequence comes back to view. Maybe it's a corrupted vid file, or maybe FCPX doesn't like the compression of this one file, but I find it quite peculiar that the entire sequence would just blackout on visuals because of this one clip.

Kira_Douji
Org Profile

Post by Kira_Douji » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:28 am

I'm curious what happens when you recode it and reimport... :?:
ImageImage

Return to “Mac Software”