FCP X

For discussion on Mac software and video editing on Mac computers.
McDirty
Org Profile

Re: FCP X

Post by McDirty » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:11 pm

Kira_Douji wrote:Does this apply to things other than Cineform? (Considering where the source is from)
I've been editing straight from h264 recently, although I can't guarantee the support of other codecs and containers. But it still beats having gigs of rendered events take up your HDD.

Kira_Douji
Org Profile

Post by Kira_Douji » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:25 pm

I've taken to using optimized clips, actually, and if you have the space, it's much nicer than the h264 codecs I've been dealing with.
ImageImage

TEKnician
Org Profile

Post by TEKnician » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:44 am

Freeze frames? Hello? Are you in here? Freeeeeeze fraaaaaaammmes!
Almost as hard as fighting a Holy Paladin.

McDirty
Org Profile

Post by McDirty » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:35 pm

If you want to just save a simple freeze frame, scroll up to share and select 'Save Current Frame'.

There's also a very neat feature called 'Hold.' This feature allows the video to play at normal speed, then freeze at a certain frame for certain period of time, and then continue playing at normal speed. It can be found in the top right corner of the timeline. It's next to the icon with a magic wand.

TEKnician
Org Profile

Post by TEKnician » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:04 pm

McDirty wrote:If you want to just save a simple freeze frame, scroll up to share and select 'Save Current Frame'.
Okay, Thats fine and dandy...but in the previous versions, i could do everything "in house"". I didn't have to EXPORT the frame and then re-import it afterwards to use in the same video. I mean that "hold" thing is pretty cool, but its not really the method i need.

gotenks794
Org Profile

Post by gotenks794 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:44 pm

I just get the clip in the timeline, cut everything but the single frame I need, copy and paste to desired length and then create a compound clip
MAC is a cosmetics brand. Mac is the superior computing platform. It's not an acronym.

TEKnician
Org Profile

Post by TEKnician » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:13 pm

I just realized something...

I have footage thats 853x480 (yes, 853x480) and i tried to import to FCPX, but it keeps converting to DV 720x480 anamorphic and aliasing it and adding black borders on the sides. The when i tried to use the 720HD 960x720 setting, it was perfect.

SMILE, NIRVASH!

DV 720x480:

720HD 960x720:

/frustration

McDirty
Org Profile

Post by McDirty » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:06 pm

This just in, brand new update for FCPX.

I've played around a little bit with the update, but not much. So far so good. The support for XMLs is back and hopefully EDLs would be integrated later on. The fullscreen Lion mode is pretty neat, but is slow at first. Apple is also integrating media stems into their Exporting which is kind of interesting. Would still prefer the ability to have custom settings.

Apple also announced multi-cam editing to be released in early 2012, along with video monitoring so this is great news. Still waiting for that multi-monitor utilization though.

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/software-update.html

Return to “Mac Software”