Mac User with Deinterlacing Issues

For discussion on Mac software and video editing on Mac computers.
k8fin
Org Profile

Mac User with Deinterlacing Issues

Post by k8fin » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:30 am

Ok, so I am using iMovie (HD 6), Handbrake (0.9.3) and Mac the Ripper (2.6.6) to make my AMV. When I select deinterlacing speeds for my video files, no matter what speed it is, many of the objects/characters in the show will have dotted outlines. I have tried running the video through JES Deinterlacer after encoding, and it makes absolutely no difference. When I submitted the footage as interlaced and told JES to deinterlace it (from top down), it would still be interlaced and not look any better at all. Likewise when I selected the "remove jaggies" and "remove noise" options on JES. So, again, JES is doing absolutely nothing for me. And with Handbrake, it's either interlaced with no dotted outlines or it's deinterlaced with the dotted outlines. I can never get rid of both.

Handbrake has worked just fine for the two other videos that I have made/started using the same settings, so I don't know what in the world I'm doing wrong. I hear avisynth is a good program to download for cleaning up footage just going by some of the technical guides, but I haven't been able to find it for mac, probably because it doesn't exist.

Quicktime is the format I chose for my video.

The deadline for the contest I wanted to submit this to is coming up in 2 weeks, so help is greatly appreciated :D
CTCON 2009 FMV Finalist -- Romace: "Sousuke Sagara is Everywhere"
CTCON 2010 FMV Winner -- Best Drama: "Evangelion.0: You (Mustn't) Run Away"

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Re: Mac User with Deinterlacing Issues

Post by Kionon » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:29 pm

Did you read any of the stickies at the top of this forum, including Avisynth on Intel Macs?

Do not use Handbrake. The staff is well aware of my complaints regarding the lack of adaptive processing. However, at this point, they are still evaluating several filter combinations from doom9 to integrate by porting from Avisynth. In the mean time, we are not their demographic, and we never have been. Handbrake is designed for quick (and "dirty") encodes for people who want to watch their media on the go, usually on a laptop or portable device.

If you use Handbrake, at the very least, it will have trouble with the telecining. At the worst, you will all the awful problems you mention above. Do not use JES Deinterlacer, it is intended for live action footage shot by digital cameras and hard-encoded directly in an interlaced format. It is simply not designed to deal with the way anime is placed on DVDs.

I was the one who discovered how to get Avisynth working on Macs (at least, in as far as this community, I am sure others have discovered it independently, possibly at Doom9) so, it definitely exists. I am surprised you missed the sticky at the top of the page.

Quicktime, if you mean, MOV, is a container NOT a codec. Plenty of the compression codecs you would be used to in AVI are compatible with MOV, and the end result is no different.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

k8fin
Org Profile

Re: Mac User with Deinterlacing Issues

Post by k8fin » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:42 am

Wow...I feel silly now =P
I didn't even pay attention to the stickies at the top. Guess you can tell I really don't use forums very much at all. Not to mention that I'm fairly new to the finer technical aspects of video production.

Nonetheless, thanks for pointing it out to me and responding to my thread! Much appreciated!! I'll give the avisynth port a try this afternoon. :D
CTCON 2009 FMV Finalist -- Romace: "Sousuke Sagara is Everywhere"
CTCON 2010 FMV Winner -- Best Drama: "Evangelion.0: You (Mustn't) Run Away"

Return to “Mac Software”