Can we please get some elaboration in here?

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Re: Can we please get some elaboration in here?

Post by godix » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:38 pm

Brad wrote:
godix wrote:My guess is that godix and tim split the vote, and I happened to be in 3rd.
I'm betting it was zarx and tim who split the vote. I've never seen the voting numbers but I really doubt I'm even in the running on the final vote. My name isn't on a guide that every noob is pointed to.

Brad
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:44 pm

And in completely unrelated news, whatever happened to last year's JCA thread(s)? I was curious about last years winners vs. last year's VCA winners.
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

CorpseGoddess
Org Profile

Post by CorpseGoddess » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:54 pm

Interesting post, dw. And I agree with most of it, except the "whoring" part. I personally see no problem in self-promotion, or PR of any kind, for that matter. Yes, it might be more surprising (and personally satisfying) to have a "come out of nowhere" win. But even if I put my own vid into a thread, X amount of people still need to click on it, watch it all the way through, care about it enough to consider it, considered it enough to like it, and like it enough to vote for it. And I have to get more of those people than anybody else in order to "win".

Now, maybe I'm just whoring wrong, but I don't see my one self-promo post being a cultural juggernaut and accomplishing all that---simply through its existence.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:45 pm

The problem isn't that people here are too cynical - it's that they're too focused on their cynicism... I think if you take a step back and really look at it you'll see this "horrible circle-jerk" of VCA voting is no different than how any real awards voting is. Hell - it's no different from any form of voting (especially local and regional politics).
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

CorpseGoddess
Org Profile

Post by CorpseGoddess » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:52 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:The problem isn't that people here are too cynical - it's that they're too focused on their cynicism... I think if you take a step back and really look at it you'll see this "horrible circle-jerk" of VCA voting is no different than how any real awards voting is. Hell - it's no different from any form of voting (especially local and regional politics).
Indeed. You want to be cynical, check out the blitz they've done for the "underdog" film in the Oscars, "Slumdog Millionaire".

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:23 pm

CorpseGoddess wrote:Interesting post, dw. And I agree with most of it, except the "whoring" part.
I think there's a distinct difference between self promoting and whoring... In the 2003, 2004, and i think 2005 VCAs, a few of us were clever about it and made up "posters":

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

I wish more people would do this. You are self promoting but also taking comments from other editors. Although, I stopped doing it because my video have sucked and aren't worth anything.

Honestly, i'd rather see threads that have a good self promoting nature, like you are really trying to sell yourself and your videos, rather then sifting through a ton of random "x2" posts and video id links.

LittleAtari
Call Me Moneybagz
Org Profile

Post by LittleAtari » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:43 am

ooo, posters are pretty...

Kitsuner
Maximum Hotness
Org Profile

Post by Kitsuner » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:49 am

Some posters actually take more effort than the video itself.
OtakuGray wrote:Sometimes anime can branch out to a younger audience and this is one of those times where you wish children would just go die.
Stirspeare wrote:<Stirspeare> Lopez: Vanquish my virginity and flood me with kit. ["Ladies..."]

Ingow
Org Profile

Post by Ingow » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:27 am

yea because how many in-crowd cool kids said your AMVs rock and how many awards they won totally is an objective way of judging if it's worth the time compared to a video that's just as good but wasn't in any competitions that year and that wasn't popular enough for Brad to download it, right? and yea pictures are so pretty 'n all don't forget about that, let's also buy all the Twilight books because the cover design is so dreamy.
BasharOfTheAges wrote:I think if you take a step back and really look at it you'll see this "horrible circle-jerk" of VCA voting is no different than how any real awards voting is. Hell - it's no different from any form of voting (especially local and regional politics).
This is actually something I wanted to point out before. The billboard charts, oscars and the bestseller lists are all fucking awful for the same reason that the VCAs suck, so if even the greatest artists out there get fucked with why shouldn't we? Though fighting the VCA parts that we don't like is still a lot easier than if we'd have to fight the oscars, so I say why not at least try it as long as there's at least a small chance? Contributing something of worth instead of ranting is always better, if only for your own peace of mind.

Brad
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 am

Ingow wrote:yea because how many in-crowd cool kids said your AMVs rock and how many awards they won totally is an objective way of judging if it's worth the time compared to a video that's just as good but wasn't in any competitions that year and that wasn't popular enough for Brad to download it, right? and yea pictures are so pretty 'n all don't forget about that, let's also buy all the Twilight books because the cover design is so dreamy.
Yaaaay people are talking about me!

(say that to yourself in Zoidberg's voice for the full effect)
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

Return to “2009 AnimeMusicVideos.org Viewers' Choice Awards”