Can we please get some elaboration in here?

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Re: Can we please get some elaboration in here?

Post by Pwolf » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:23 pm

CorpseGoddess wrote:Interesting post, dw. And I agree with most of it, except the "whoring" part.
I think there's a distinct difference between self promoting and whoring... In the 2003, 2004, and i think 2005 VCAs, a few of us were clever about it and made up "posters":

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

I wish more people would do this. You are self promoting but also taking comments from other editors. Although, I stopped doing it because my video have sucked and aren't worth anything.

Honestly, i'd rather see threads that have a good self promoting nature, like you are really trying to sell yourself and your videos, rather then sifting through a ton of random "x2" posts and video id links.

LittleAtari
Call Me Moneybagz
Org Profile

Post by LittleAtari » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:43 am

ooo, posters are pretty...

Kitsuner
Maximum Hotness
Org Profile

Post by Kitsuner » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:49 am

Some posters actually take more effort than the video itself.
OtakuGray wrote:Sometimes anime can branch out to a younger audience and this is one of those times where you wish children would just go die.
Stirspeare wrote:<Stirspeare> Lopez: Vanquish my virginity and flood me with kit. ["Ladies..."]

Ingow
Org Profile

Post by Ingow » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:27 am

yea because how many in-crowd cool kids said your AMVs rock and how many awards they won totally is an objective way of judging if it's worth the time compared to a video that's just as good but wasn't in any competitions that year and that wasn't popular enough for Brad to download it, right? and yea pictures are so pretty 'n all don't forget about that, let's also buy all the Twilight books because the cover design is so dreamy.
BasharOfTheAges wrote:I think if you take a step back and really look at it you'll see this "horrible circle-jerk" of VCA voting is no different than how any real awards voting is. Hell - it's no different from any form of voting (especially local and regional politics).
This is actually something I wanted to point out before. The billboard charts, oscars and the bestseller lists are all fucking awful for the same reason that the VCAs suck, so if even the greatest artists out there get fucked with why shouldn't we? Though fighting the VCA parts that we don't like is still a lot easier than if we'd have to fight the oscars, so I say why not at least try it as long as there's at least a small chance? Contributing something of worth instead of ranting is always better, if only for your own peace of mind.

Brad
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 am

Ingow wrote:yea because how many in-crowd cool kids said your AMVs rock and how many awards they won totally is an objective way of judging if it's worth the time compared to a video that's just as good but wasn't in any competitions that year and that wasn't popular enough for Brad to download it, right? and yea pictures are so pretty 'n all don't forget about that, let's also buy all the Twilight books because the cover design is so dreamy.
Yaaaay people are talking about me!

(say that to yourself in Zoidberg's voice for the full effect)
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

Ingow
Org Profile

Post by Ingow » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:19 am

Brad wrote:(say that to yourself in Zoidberg's voice for the full effect)
Spoiler :
Fry and Leela are kissing in the newest movie.
Hey, just tryin' ta give this thread a positive touch.

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:14 am

Ingow wrote:yea because how many in-crowd cool kids said your AMVs rock and how many awards they won totally is an objective way of judging if it's worth the time compared to a video that's just as good but wasn't in any competitions that year and that wasn't popular enough for Brad to download it, right? and yea pictures are so pretty 'n all don't forget about that, let's also buy all the Twilight books because the cover design is so dreamy.
I don't disagree with you there but I think you're looking at it the wrong way. The whole poster thing is to get people interested in looking at the video, not saying, "LOOK HOW MANY AWARDS I GOT AND WHAT THE COOL PEOPLE ARE SAYING ABOUT IT!!!! VOTE FOR ME!". Even then, the majority of the quotes i used aren't from the "in-crowd" cool people like you said. The Ace Combat Zero trailer 2 one doesn't have any "in-crowd cool people" (well, if you count Lostboy, but he's not hanging around much anymore). And it never won an award.

It also doesn't help that I posted only the ones I did, cause for one, several years ago, I was actually winning a fair amount of contests so any video worthy of being a VCA nominee had won an award during the previous year. On top of that, the so call in-crowd you are talking about happen to be some of my closest friends i've known for over 5 or 6 years now. If brad or jay say one of my videos is the best video i've made to date, then i'm putting that down. Even the people I don't know, like Beowulf... For those of us that know how he is, if he likes a video, that can carry some weight.

Basically, the point is to let other people what other people are saying about your video cause we can't look at your QCs and it would be a pain in the ass to go back and look at the announcement thread. You take a handful of good comments and let people know. It's a hell of a lot better then spamming your video into the forum with nothing but a vid link.

Pwolf

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:49 am

Quotes on a poster would be pointless if they're not from sources that at least someone deems a reliable judge of quality. For this place, that tends to be winning creators that are active in the community enough for random member X to know who the fuck they are. Movies list their reviews from places like the NY Times, and not the East Bumfuck Tribune for that very reason.

Questioning the impartiality or the quality of the people giving reviews is fine - people Baww over the big critics' qualifications all the time - but, again, the process is no different than how the real world works. People will assume the creators that make award-winning videos know something worth listening to. If you want to voice your distrust in that system, smear the people involved, not the process.

Microcosms - they're everywhere.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:02 am

I think I'll make some posters for mine... more for fun, though :>

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:20 pm

I have a rather different explanation for the cynicism and, conversely, some of the ceremony and pimpage surrounding the VCAs than most people here have suggested.

It's very easy to sneer and point out flaws and lament the inherent unfairness or vanity seen here as a sign of the VCAs degradation. But is it? Or are you simply buying into vanity and unfairness for the sake of pointing out how much better you are than everyone who is not cynical about it?

Why do we have to take this whole thing as a competition, anyway? Put it this way: the .org is a community. A community is not built around events or members all of their own merit - it's built around participation. An event is as good as the community's participation makes it. A member is as good as he/she contributes. The rest is ego-pumping.

So why don't we look at the VCAs as a community-building, rather than competitive event - I mean sure there's aspects in it that are always going to be inherently unobjective and maybe slightly unfair; but why also ignore the fact that the VCAs are a celebration of the hobby, helping to draw people in and promote it. It's good if it's a little shameless and pompous. It helps draw people into it and encourage participation. Things like pimping, prizes, multiple rounds - all help encourage participation, not just in the VCAs but the community as a whole. And this thread begins with some, um, gentle prodding towards not just participation, but productive, meaningful participation. It doesn't mean that we need less participation in general, at all. I don't see how the discussion got here.

Otherwise a lot of cynicism seems to be not really cynicism but elitism. Stripping down the VCA won't turn away the 'elite' who know the rules and want the 'gameplay'. But it does nothing good for the community other than sustain a core of it that doesn't reflect the hobby as it really is anymore.

All I'm trying to say is, relax and stop being so cynical. I think whatever negatives there are to the VCA, they're more than outweighed by the participation it produces. Without it, the community might be more fair, but it's a lot less fun. A lack of fun, and more importantly - a lack of participation is a much, much bigger turnoff to the wider public than any of the "inner circle" tendencies that most seem to be pointing a finger at here. Anything in the community that encourages good participation is a good thing. Let's try to keep that in mind, and let's try to keep that participation productive, otherwise we're just ruining our own hobby here instead of promoting it.
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Return to “2009 AnimeMusicVideos.org Viewers' Choice Awards”