The Madoka Resurrections trailer

Feedback on betas & works in progress

Moderator: Forum moderators

SailorTardis
Org Profile

The Madoka Resurrections trailer

Post by SailorTardis » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:10 pm

So, besides a really stupid college project, I've never tried to make a trailer AMV before. I had the idea to put Madoka Magica over the first trailer to The Matrix Resurrections, mostly because White Rabbit has been stuck in my head recently.

TBH, I really like how it feels right now, but I'm wondering if it works for anyone else. Also, with the different aspect ratios Madoka uses at times, the aspect ratio keeps changing and I'm wondering if that's distracting. Also do any of the cuts feel like they need some readjusting?

"Of course! Don't you know anything about science?"

Zeonic Freak
Org Profile

Re: The Madoka Resurrections trailer

Post by Zeonic Freak » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:46 pm

<mouth completely open trying to type> .... holy crap, that was very good!

I feel like It fits. I haven't seen the new movie and I haven't watched anything of Madoka, but you got a fit just by my impressions. I do have a question, have you seen the new Matrix movie yet? Usually when I tackle a trailer project I tend to watch the film first and make mental notes in my head on where I can put scenes of the anime into, what will fit and what wont.

I didn't even really notice the aspect ratios because everything you wanted to use for scenes I thought flowed so well. I would say for aspect ratios stick to one consistent one throughout the video, which if its mostly 16x9 then stick with that. Theres a little work on lip syncing that needs to be tightened I saw in the beginning of the trailer. I think in terms of details other members can chime in that I didn't catch the first watch through. The concept is solid all around, I'm a bit intimidated by this trailer if you and my stuff were to enter in contest Trailer categories :D. That's stiff competition right there.

I'm currently working on another trailer ATM since I enjoy doing them so much. I think you got a very solid piece once you feel its absolutely 100 percent finished.
Last edited by Zeonic Freak on Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Post by SQ » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:55 pm

It matches a lot better than I thought it would. I like your scene selection, but there are some things that are distracting:
  • The differing aspect ratios, as you stated. Here is what I would do to alleviate that, in order of preference:
    1. You could zoom in on the widescreen stuff so it matches the rest of the content (this includes zooming in on the original matrix trailer footage)
    2. Make the entire project widescreen and zoom in on the tv stuff
    3. Keep the project as-is and add black bars to the entire timeline
  • The casting doesn't make sense.
    Kyubey plays 2-4 characters and Madoka is double-casted. At 1:33, the yellow haired girl is also playing Neo/voicing for Madoka. You might be able to leave the kyubey things untouched and be ok, but I'd at least fix 1:33.
    At 1:26, Madoka's lip flap implies she's playing yet another character. I'd try to mask out the mouth here so you could still use the scene and treat this part as a narration rather than a character line.
  • Lip flap / lip sync. It doesn't need to be perfect, but it should start when the words start and end when the words stop. So with that in mind I'd personal tighten up 0:18 and 1:08.
  • End Title effect.
    It's cool but damages the flow when the lines in the madoka logo are going sideways while everything else is going in a vertical direction.
  • Beginning scenes.
    It's a bit disjointed up to about 0:10. It's not clear if it's narrated or if madoka is talking/thinking. I think this could be fixed if you introduce Kyubey much earlier. But maybe the confusion in the beginning is what you're going for, so that's okay too.
  • Tighten timing.
    These all seem to be late: 1:16, 1:30, 1:45 - 1:46, 1:49 - 1:50, 1:59.
    These seem to early: 1:35, 1:54
All that said, this is still a really great first trailer, so congrats! :)
StandardQuip
Discord: @standardquip
BentoVid (previously AMV Sashimi) Discord Server

SailorTardis
Org Profile

Post by SailorTardis » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:50 pm

Thank you both for your feedback!
Zeonic Freak wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:46 pm
<mouth completely open trying to type> .... holy crap, that was very good!

I feel like It fits. I haven't seen the new movie and I haven't watched anything of Madoka, but you got a fit just by my impressions. I do have a question, have you seen the new Matrix movie yet? Usually when I tackle a trailer project I tend to watch the film first and make mental notes in my head on where I can put scenes of the anime into, what will fit and what wont.
I actually haven't seen the new Matrix, I just thought it could work with Madoka, also I really have fallen in love with the song from the trailers. Also, the first trailer for the new Matrix is one of my fave trailers in a long time, just a really well edited trailer with a KILLER music choice

SQ wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:55 pm
It matches a lot better than I thought it would. I like your scene selection, but there are some things that are distracting:
  • The differing aspect ratios, as you stated. Here is what I would do to alleviate that, in order of preference:
    1. You could zoom in on the widescreen stuff so it matches the rest of the content (this includes zooming in on the original matrix trailer footage)
    2. Make the entire project widescreen and zoom in on the tv stuff
    3. Keep the project as-is and add black bars to the entire timeline
  • The casting doesn't make sense.
    Kyubey plays 2-4 characters and Madoka is double-casted. At 1:33, the yellow haired girl is also playing Neo/voicing for Madoka. You might be able to leave the kyubey things untouched and be ok, but I'd at least fix 1:33.
    At 1:26, Madoka's lip flap implies she's playing yet another character. I'd try to mask out the mouth here so you could still use the scene and treat this part as a narration rather than a character line.
  • Lip flap / lip sync. It doesn't need to be perfect, but it should start when the words start and end when the words stop. So with that in mind I'd personal tighten up 0:18 and 1:08.
  • End Title effect.
    It's cool but damages the flow when the lines in the madoka logo are going sideways while everything else is going in a vertical direction.
  • Beginning scenes.
    It's a bit disjointed up to about 0:10. It's not clear if it's narrated or if madoka is talking/thinking. I think this could be fixed if you introduce Kyubey much earlier. But maybe the confusion in the beginning is what you're going for, so that's okay too.
  • Tighten timing.
    These all seem to be late: 1:16, 1:30, 1:45 - 1:46, 1:49 - 1:50, 1:59.
    These seem to early: 1:35, 1:54
All that said, this is still a really great first trailer, so congrats! :)
Yeah I intentionally double casted Kyubey because it kinda worked initially to include him talking to Madoka at the beginning, and also because I could resist using the follow me line with him.

The double casting of Madoka was not intentional. the clip at 1:32 was intended to have Madoka, say Neo's line, and Mami's line was the other character's, but yeah, the clip choice did't work for that. So that clip needs to be changed.

Also originally in the very first draft of the video, Kyubey didn't appear until 0:19. But tbh yeah, that doesn't work either so I'll play around with it.

Also thank you for mentioning what times seem to be too early or late, Timing isn't really my strong suit tbh at times.

SailorTardis
Org Profile

Post by SailorTardis » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:12 am

Ok with the feedback, I have a new draft ready!

EDIT: God I got just realized I left the wrong clip in at 1:08. Don't edit at midnight, kids! :P

SailorTardis
Org Profile

Post by SailorTardis » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:24 pm

Ok I fixed up the errors and the ending, so hopefully this should be the final draft!

SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Post by SQ » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:51 pm

It looks much better but
- lip sync at 0:17 is still way off
- Mouth jumps around a lot at 1:26
(spend a bit more time on the mask is all; I feel you though, this scene looks difficult and probably sucks to do)

- title still weird with lines going horizontal instead of vertical at the end

Another "problem" but is really just a minor nitpick is the aniplex logo is not centered lol.

Overall though it really is much better. Introducing Kyubey earlier definitely makes the intro much less confusing. 👍🏾
StandardQuip

SailorTardis
Org Profile

Post by SailorTardis » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:13 pm

Ok, not sure how that lip sync and mask looks, GOD those can really be hard.

Also tried something different for the ending since after effects wouldn't let me do the transition vertically.

also fixed the aniplex logo :P

SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Post by SQ » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:08 pm

The mask looks way better, but it still has one awkward jump in it

As for the end, it also looks better, but still not great. If you have a "venetian blinds" effect, or a motion, directional, or fast blur, you may be able to change it so it goes vertical and they may help.

The end credits is serviceable as-is but you can still kind of see the original matrix name underneath the madoka logo at higher resolutions.
StandardQuip

SailorTardis
Org Profile

Post by SailorTardis » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:39 pm

GOD I HATE MASKS

hopefully this looks better and tried something to help with the ending credits

Return to “Works in Progress”