Feedback on betas & works in progress

Moderator: Forum moderators

thefanvideoer2
Org Profile

Gift of a Friend

Post by thefanvideoer2 » Sun May 17, 2020 1:50 pm

Video: Gift of a Friend
Category: Sentimental
Anime: Arashi no Yoru ni (One Stormy Night)
Song: Gift of a Friend
Artist: Demi Lovato
Creator: thefanvideoer2

This is pretty much complete but still a WIP as I will take any suggestions under consideration and test them out! I've been frustrated with editing lately (I'm never happy with the end result, lol) so I'd greatly appreciate any feedback!

The main things I'd like to know: Are the clips too long or too short? Are the zooms just right or too fast/slow? Should I just get rid of the transitions and/or zooms altogether? Is the song fitting enough with the anime?

[Added Google Drive Embed - Kireblue]

SailorTardis
Org Profile

Re: Gift of a Friend

Post by SailorTardis » Wed May 20, 2020 4:44 pm

I really like it! Never seen the anime, but man that song brought up some nostalgic feelings. I also like the use of black and white contrasting with color.

My only real complaint is that near the end, it feels like during the flashbacks, shots seem get repeated multiple times, which is a little jarring,
"Of course! Don't you know anything about science?"

thefanvideoer2
Org Profile

Post by thefanvideoer2 » Thu May 21, 2020 12:54 pm

Completely forgot to add a google drive embed link, thank you Kireblue for adding that!

This anime is a heartwarming, simple story about a goat and a wolf becoming friends, which is why I thought this song would be a good choice :) I recommend it! And this shouldn't really be an excuse, but the flashback is as it is in the movie. So here is an updated version - I tried to mimic the original flashback the best that I could, but with new clips. If the original wasn't black and white, I would have had that whole sequence be in color. Thank you for watching and for your feedback!

Antman_537
Org Profile

Post by Antman_537 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:58 pm

Man, that does look like a pretty neat show! I like how the AMV's shaping up. A few minor notes I observed:

It might be a side effect of the animation style, but the wolf has a ton of facial expressions that look roughly the same (I'll call it his 'hungry wolf' face). Even though the clips are different, because the face looks so similar it feels like we've been there before.

At the end, where there's all the greyscale flashbacks, it might be nice to splash in a few color clips. Not sure when/where though; so I'll leave that to your discretion.

thefanvideoer2
Org Profile

Post by thefanvideoer2 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:42 pm

Yeah, it's probably a side effect of the animation style. Gabu (the wolf) has that same expression a lot, especially when he just meets Mei (the goat) and has to suppress his wolf instincts as they start to become friends. Not really anything I can do about the animation, lol...this is why editing has been getting frustrating for me. There's a lot of don't do this, don't do that, do this instead of that, there are so many endless possibilities and everyone has different tastes of what they consider to be a good video or not. It just never feels like any video is ever done xD

Sorry about the mini rant.

Anyway, I'd edit another version with your suggestion about adding color to the flashbacks, but I already decided to upload the latest version (the second one posted) of the vid to my channel.

Thanks for watching and for your suggestions, though. I really appreciate it :D

Antman_537
Org Profile

Post by Antman_537 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:05 pm

Yeah, I definitely feel you on the 'video never being done' feeling. No shame in deciding you're satisfied. Looks good!

Return to “Works in Progress”