Our Cold Spirits WIP

Feedback on betas & works in progress

Moderator: Forum moderators

lloyd9988
Org Profile

Re: Our Cold Spirits WIP

Post by lloyd9988 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:21 pm

sorry to ask but what happened to the aspect ratio?

It's like it shrunk when uploaded to youtube

I personally like the changes, but I think a second opinion would be helpful.

Also, if you want, I can edit up to like 2:30 and show you kinda the changes I'd implement, I guess. And if you like it, you just implement it on your own end or I can discuss what to do, I suppose.

Edit: I see what the issue is. Your source material is working against you. The scenes you need only last for roughly 1 second which sucks but that means you may need to improvise a bit when editing. I'll show you what I mean soon.

Edit 2: Okay, I got up to like 0:45 seconds but I think that's enough to show what I mean. On one note, though, you picked the best/worst anime for this song. xD The scenes just do not want to stay scenery for very long and they just want to move right on to the next scene >.< But I definitely applaud you for the scenes you did choose. Very creative. Anyway, here's my idea, hope it helps out.
Spoiler :

Antman_537
Org Profile

Post by Antman_537 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:42 pm

I shrunk the aspect ratio and letterboxed it as per Scintilla's guide for encoding for convention submission; though that source may be out of date. What's your usual approach to sizing for conventions?

And yeah, you hit exactly on the problem; haha. I'm already using a few (hopefully) subtle slows and freezes to help with the shortness of the clips. I really like what you did with the transition from the forest scene to the evening scene! I'll definitely have to try and implement that. I do want to keep the scenes from the party, because they emphasize that Naofumi's not just always alone; he's alone even in a crowd.

Ironically, I figured yesterday no one was responding so I submitted what I had; with luck I can update the file though. :sweat: Yeah, more voices would be great; but this corner of these forums seems to get pretty sporadic traffic.

lloyd9988
Org Profile

Post by lloyd9988 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:43 pm

Antman_537 wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:42 pm
I shrunk the aspect ratio and letterboxed it as per Scintilla's guide for encoding for convention submission; though that source may be out of date. What's your usual approach to sizing for conventions?
Ahhh I gotcha.

What I do is I use the following settings based on the source material:

Resolution: 1280x720
>>> Could be 1920x1080 but my computer is old so rendering takes longer for that res

Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0 Square Pixel
Frame Rate: 23.976 [fps]
Audio: 44.1 [kHz]

Also, I try converting my source audio from ".mp3" to ".wav" because it'll prevent loss of information when transferring to Youtube or to someone else.
Antman_537 wrote:
And yeah, you hit exactly on the problem; haha. I'm already using a few (hopefully) subtle slows and freezes to help with the shortness of the clips. I really like what you did with the transition from the forest scene to the evening scene! I'll definitely have to try and implement that. I do want to keep the scenes from the party, because they emphasize that Naofumi's not just always alone; he's alone even in a crowd.
Yeah, those clips are so short >.< but definitely implementing freezes either at the beginning or end of a scene helped out a lot. It just requires tweaking on your part where you will need to play with zooming in on the scenes then panning/zooming the scenes to match the movement of the camera from the source material. It's a pain but it's worth it.

Oh yeah definitely. I only used the torch scene to illustrate my hypothesis. You're definitely free to decide what scenes you want, this was just an example imo.
Antman_537 wrote:
Ironically, I figured yesterday no one was responding so I submitted what I had; with luck I can update the file though. :sweat: Yeah, more voices would be great; but this corner of these forums seems to get pretty sporadic traffic.
Ah my bad, work got me really busy so I couldn't reply ASAP on here. Though, I wonder, if there is such sporadic traffic, why is there such few replies?

Good luck!

Antman_537
Org Profile

Post by Antman_537 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:50 pm

Well, it was a busy week; but I finally got time to post an updated version! Since I already had to slip this version in, this'll be the final edit. But I wanted to show you all the finished product. :wink:

Return to “Works in Progress”