1:1 Honest Feedback

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
yKazari
Org Profile

1:1 Honest Feedback

Post by yKazari » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:34 pm

Hay I'm new to AMVorg (I'm mega late I know)
I want someone to give me honest feedback on 1 or 2 of my AMVs

I know in this one around the end I mess up a frame blending, advice on how to tackle that next time?

Yukimi Kazari "Kazari da Editor"
Studio Setup: MacBook Pro 2017 (i7 3.1GHz), HP 32q, CalDigit TS3+, Apple Magic Keyboard/Mouse/Trackpad

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Re: 1:1 Honest Feedback

Post by Kionon » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:01 pm

DayFourStudios wrote:Hay I'm new to AMVorg (I'm mega late I know)
Welcome to the Org.

Oooh, a fellow Mac editor. This alone gets my attention.

A few initial thoughts.

1) I would be curious to know your workflow and how you've prepped your sources and used Final Cut. I'm usually on Premiere, but I have been disappointed with CC, and I'm thinking of jumping to Final Cut, which I haven't made an AMV with in like 12 years. I hate dark mode editors though, and my main issue with CC might be an issue with FC: my kingdom for light gray window theming!

2) You can embed YouTube links into the posts. You don't need to put the link into indirect, really, we hope (though this isn't as much used these days) you would consider having an actual downloadable copy. You can probably put both of these on LOCAL. I think the violence is pretty tame in comparison to what we wouldn't allow.

3) For my choice of video, I'll definitely do Kill The Heathens. While neither video is my cup of tea stylistically, I never give detailed opinions based on my source, music, or style preferences. The question is, did you make a quality video? I think you did with Kill The Heathens. Take My Life Away, however, is just much too violent for me and uses a style of music I really don't like. This is no reflection on you, but I couldn't finish watching the video.

I'll update you once I've typed up the opinion. For myself, it has been quite a while since I released a new video, but 泣かないで (Don't Cry) is probably the best option for you:

ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

yKazari
Org Profile

Post by yKazari » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:47 pm

❤️ Mac users rejoice!

1) I usually strip the sub + audio from my sources and remux to mov/mp4 via ff-works or ffmpeg (copy video, repack as mov) so that its less work. I use avidemux to do my rough cutting of clips (In copy mode as well sense ant no body got time for encoding).
Keep it all organized on another HDD (Source, Clips, Stripped, Rendered Videos, etc.).
I usually create a whole new Library per AMV for safety and sanity (I know I can just use Events) and drop all my clips and audio I plan to use for that project in to FCPX. Now depending on your situation you can Optimized (Only do this for clips that are malformed or speed up rendering) or Proxy (Used this a lot on my 2015 MBP due performance issues, or im post cases it you want a smallish portable project that requires no external drives) your media. I also DON'T allow FCP to "Consolidate Media" because that makes the project bundles way to big. (My current AMV is like 300+GB because of Optimized media).
I usually start with insuring a Gap the length of what I want and drop the song bellow it. I do that to disable the magnetic timeline and allow me to work freely when I dont know exactly what I want.
Next I usually "Mark up" the song (M key) by listing and finding spots I want to cut at or transition at. Marking it up makes it much easier because you can snap clips to those markers. I sometimes print the song lyrics to plan cuts.
I also have different saved workspaces for FCPX, Portable/Studio, Storyboarding, Dual Monitor, Effects, etc.
One of the most important things is use Adjustment Layers and Roles because it makes life so much easier when swapping clips and organization, layering effects, disabling effects, editing keyframes, retiming, etc.
I would also say learning the keyboard map is key to getting things done mega fast! Nothing better then N while dragging, Option [ and ] to trim in out, T is a godsend.
I also use Frame.io A LOT for review and critique. Sense its easy to publish to from FCPX (and Premier) and is to the timecode accurate with comments and even lets you draw on the frame!

My typical timeline:

Lol I could go on for hours because I been desperate to find someone else out there that either makes AMV's or uses FCPX. Thats why I was really happy to find AMVorg sense making AMVs has been the only thing that has given me happiness lately. If it wasn't for FCPX I may have never gotten into AMVs so fast as I did sense its so intuitive and easy that it only took me 1-2 Months to make videos like that and of course time to master my workflow.

2) Ill have to do that to makes it easier. I was thinking of uploading it to AMVorg after I rencoded it for size. Im a bit scared sense im new to the community dont want to cause trouble.

3) I think KTH was ok, Theres some transitions that I think would be better. I think @ 1:30-1:41 is a bit meh its not exactly perfect for some reason.
I was just starting to dabble with effects. the video really is like 2 months old once I submitted to Otakon. Now I have gotten a bit better

TMLA was one of my favorites to make mainly because of how aggressive it was, I was really trying to go for that punch to the face approach. Was the first time I went crazy with effects and really give it my all. That video I think is one of my favorites.

0:01 - 0:10 : Feels a bit to fast maybe a tad bit slower and or retime it / control the velocity at sense that move so it dosent look to fast.
0:12 : Please dont hurt me for saying that but maybe mask out the water and layer it so water is at 100% and looks a bit more calmer
0:15 - 0:45 : To me it looks like it moving to fast maybe sync the cuts to the kick drum, and do a masked over layer on the lyrics or even
cut the screen in half, switch each side to the beat so that you can use twice the amount of clips and show contrast (Like at 0:43-44, I like that its really good)
0:43 - 0:51 : same here but maybe use less clips and sync on the beat
~0:55 : dont know how I feel about the fade to black but its growing on me
1:00 : Kinda a hard cut to Gaussian blur. Maybe slowly increase it at the end of "cry". Also slowly zoom here to remove the vignetting and also slowly increase the brightness to at a dreamy effect.
1:08 : Suggestion, layer the stary sky on the Bottom, shape mark them on each corner and blend it. maybe fade them out before the next cut to to them both there watching the sky. Maybe do a slide down to them but that may require sticking in photoshop and panning down
1:18 instead of fade to black maybe fade to white sense the next sense is bright
1:29 the hard cuts to white look a bit off
I think a lot of the fade to black are hard on the eyes
1:46 - 1:47 : Really powerful love that!
1:54 : dont know if you did that Kens burn but maybe keep it zooming to the next cut (not as a transition but just to keep the motion) It feels a bit to sudden
2:12 : It feels weird to fade to black when your at the same scenes, dont know what to repack it with maybe leave it out?
2:28 : Love it, really strong sense here maybe on the kick drum Bloom transition or
~2:30 : It feels kinda jumpy, maybe copy your transitions to make it repeatable. Don't know if you can do that in premier its been forever but in know its easy in FCPX
2:50: Wow great ending! maybe retime the part where the flowers are used in the transition so that it start and end with that guitars last note

3:10 : Maybe slow the transition or S-Curve it to make it smoother. Maybe slide it with the text and reveal some it with the slide.

3:45: lol classy 2012 ending.

I really like it, your storyboard is really good and I think its really touching with the song

Heres my Your Name AMV thats a WIP, Its more your style. Its storyboard is complete but im still working on overlays/effects/transitions and color grading. (I have the HDR 4K version so I have a lot of wiggle room with color)

[YouTube Embed fixed - Kionon]
Studio Setup: MacBook Pro 2017 (i7 3.1GHz), HP 32q, CalDigit TS3+, Apple Magic Keyboard/Mouse/Trackpad

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:05 pm

DayFourStudios wrote:❤️ Mac users rejoice!

Good stuff.
Lol I could go on for hours because I been desperate to find someone else out there that either makes AMV's or uses FCPX. Thats why I was really happy to find AMVorg sense making AMVs has been the only thing that has given me happiness lately. If it wasn't for FCPX I may have never gotten into AMVs so fast as I did sense its so intuitive and easy that it only took me 1-2 Months to make videos like that and of course time to master my workflow.
I wish everyone felt about the Org what you do, it is refreshing to see interest in the Org in 2018. When I first started editing in 1998, before the Org, the community was small, spread out, and fractured. The Org unified it. But then it started fracturing again. YouTube was a primary reason, but it became much easier to start forums and discord channels and platform infrastructure for studio groups that the Org has stopped being a unifying force and in some ways is even only tangental to the hobby, and not really a center of it. For someone like me who watched the Org be born and grow its decline has been been personally disappointing. But we do try to carry on. You can find the Mac section here.

I'm editing on an Octocore 2.8Ghz x 2 Xeon 2008 Mac Pro with 18 GBs of RAM (expandable to 64) and an NVIDIA GTX 950 TI. My harddrive situation is kind of a mess right now, and I need to make some adjustments. (The Mac Mini belongs to my union).

2) Ill have to do that to makes it easier. I was thinking of uploading it to AMVorg after I rencoded it for size. Im a bit scared sense im new to the community dont want to cause trouble.
YouTube doesn't allow downloading 1080p videos anymore, so the best I can get in an individual file is 720p. You should use AMV-Tool from our own l33tmeatwad in order to encode for use on the Org. Your target should be under 100MBs, I think you can swing that. I'd rather give you an opinion based on the best quality I can get physically on my Mac Pro, especially give my Bose speakers, my AKG headphones, and my 4K 27monitor. They don't like any amount of distortion, and the downside to a 4K monitor is a lot of AMVs now just are painful to watch, and those from the late 90s to 2000s already were painful to watch on 1080p screens!
I really like it, your storyboard is really good and I think its really touching with the song
Well, this was an award winning video in 2012, so it's done. What mistakes were made will always exist. I am a cut and fade editor and have been since I started. With rare exceptions I don't tend use effects, most of what you think are effects are in the original source. Like the water or the flowers, I didn't do that, I just tried to sync it. Storyboarding is my strength. Truthfully, I came into AMVs from fanfiction (as did Quu, one of the editors this video was dedicated to, who got me into the hobby in the late 90s by explaining AMVs as visual fanfiction). With me it's all about the story, the characters, what I want to say. There have been exceptions where I've dabbled in effects, but it just isn't who I am or what I do. But I think you figured that because...
Heres my Your Name AMV thats a WIP, Its more your style. Its storyboard is complete but im still working on overlays/effects/transitions and color grading. (I have the HDR 4K version so I have a lot of wiggle room with color)
Yes, that is much more my style. I'd like to see the final version of this. It seems like a keeper.

Examples of my current projects include:

This one has a lot of blackspace, but it shows my storyboarding process, how I use screenshots for the general scenes I want to use before actually putting in the clips themselves.

ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

yKazari
Org Profile

Post by yKazari » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:55 pm

I really hope Org can come back to its former glory. I remember seeing an app but the download like didn't work. I think an App would help sense most people are on their phone. I really don't want to see the end of such a great database. Maybe a Official Discord?
To me Youtube was what made me want to make AMVs sense I didn't see that much I liked (sense I was unaware of all the great creators and who they where) and I felt like I needed to "correct" the downward trend. I really blame YouTube for not recommending people. I don't like it when really good AMVs only get 1K views it really hurts me inside, it's not right.

That was the last desktop I owned actually, I almost had the same model! only has 32GB RAM tough but I was using it as a ESXi server. FCPX should still run great on there due to Apple's optimization. I can still do most of my work on my 2017 m3 MacBook sense they optimized it so well.
I guess I should share my desk too :o
I run everything on my 2017 MacBook Pro i7 (with 3.1GHz and Radeon 560 Upgrade), I keep all my active projects on my portable Samsung SSD and all my active clips and originals on a WD 4TB portable HDD. Everything else is either on my 8TB drive on the floor or my disk array in my closet for deep storage.
Off screen I have an original academic copy of Final Cut Studio 2 with all the manuals. I still use my old PowerBook G4 for some retro editing. Saw there was a tutorial for editing on VCR and I want to give that a try. Looks like fun.

I love how clean your setup is

I used MediaHuman YouTube Downloader for Mac, its really good and I can get 1080p60 and MP3 all in one place. Im gonna have to give that a spin to see what it come out with. Maybe even H265 if you guys support that sense thats now the new hip thing (main reason I got a new laptop besides for effects sense H265 only edits well with hardware support). I usually render all my videos in ProRes 422 and then H264 but youtube sure knows how to distort a video with compression. My last video Betryal is a great example because my grain effect really messes up the video :cry:

I do like your style, now that I watch it more I see what you were trying to do.
Storyboarding is my big weakness, This years Otakon was a great learning experience. Im already looking at new approaches to make even better videos.
Its good to have your strengths, thats why I'm working with my aunt she has a good knack for storytelling and I know I'm good at editing.

I really like where those are going, especially Forever. I love that show, thanks for reminding me about that show now I want to do one with that one next. I never though to using Screenshots for storyboarding! Thats a great idea!
(P.S. If you cant tell I'm learning as I go along sense I never finished studying video production, I only learned editing and filming in high school)

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:31 am

DayFourStudios wrote:I really hope Org can come back to its former glory. I remember seeing an app but the download like didn't work. I think an App would help sense most people are on their phone. I really don't want to see the end of such a great database. Maybe a Official Discord?
I think that's unlikely, but the hope is that it becomes a place with at least regular daily usage. You're certainly contributing right now. I haven't seen a conversation move this fast on the Org in years. I just hope OTHER people who lurk (as many veteran editors still do) will take the hint and join in. HINT HINT. As for the Discord, we did have an IRC channel, but its most active users are now part of the AMV Central Discord. This is what most of us use. AMV Central is another AMV forum, but it has a different focus I feel from the Org.
To me Youtube was what made me want to make AMVs sense I didn't see that much I liked (sense I was unaware of all the great creators and who they where) and I felt like I needed to "correct" the downward trend. I really blame YouTube for not recommending people. I don't like it when really good AMVs only get 1K views it really hurts me inside, it's not right.
There are a few AMVs I have found on YouTube which are not on the Org, but only a few. I don't really actively watch AMVs much anymore. Partly that is because the Org isn't very active and because I've largely lost the friend-base (with members like Quu and godix actually passing away, or others simply retiring and leaving the hobby) I used to have, so I don't often have people hitting me up to look at betas or download new releases, etc. YouTube itself is, to me, part of the problem. It has no skin in the game with AMVs except in the sense of how it can walk the line between hosting them and profiting off of them, at least in a generic sense. There's no interest, and probably a lot of intentional disinterest, in drawing attention to any kind of remix culture. As for views, let's put this in perspective, if I released a video in 2001 and 1000 people got copies of it and watched it? Oh, that would have been huge! I can hardly wrap my head around 100,000 or a million unique views of a single AMV. As long as my general AMV group was watching, commenting, and responding to my AMV, I was happy. The problem now is you got 10,0000 "views" and no one engages in extended conversation about the AMVs in question. This, to me, is still the strength of the Org. If more people would post here, more people would get massive conversations. But that might be a generational thing, in general, many young editors may not want that, may not even be able to conceptualise the value of it, having not grown up in a hobby where feeback, criticism, and detailed accolades were a major part of the point. I'd rather one massive post on my AMV than 10,0000 "awesome AMV, brah" comments.
That was the last desktop I owned actually, I almost had the same model! only has 32GB RAM tough but I was using it as a ESXi server. FCPX should still run great on there due to Apple's optimization. I can still do most of my work on my 2017 m3 MacBook sense they optimized it so well.
I guess I should share my desk too :o
Cheesegrater Mac Pros are still very powerful machines. More importantly, they are easy to keep running and easy to add additional cards into via the PCIe slots.
I run everything on my 2017 MacBook Pro i7 (with 3.1GHz and Radeon 560 Upgrade), I keep all my active projects on my portable Samsung SSD and all my active clips and originals on a WD 4TB portable HDD. Everything else is either on my 8TB drive on the floor or my disk array in my closet for deep storage.
Quoted Image converted to link:
https://i.imgur.com/cx1dtji.jpg
Off screen I have an original academic copy of Final Cut Studio 2 with all the manuals. I still use my old PowerBook G4 for some retro editing. Saw there was a tutorial for editing on VCR and I want to give that a try. Looks like fun.
I'm decidedly displeased with Apple's laptop offerings, the last good MacBook style, in my opinion, was the 2012 MacBook Pro where you could swap out hard drives and RAM and even other stuff on the logic board could be replaced. All I want is a 2012 i7 15" unibody but with a modern 1080p or even 4K screen. That's it. I don't want thin as paper, solder all the things to the logic board, no more light up Apple logo nonsense. And I'm not alone. I had a Mac Mini G4 in 2005 until about 2008, and that was the last time I tried using Final Cut.

When I was first learning how to edit in high school, you know, back in 1997-1999, we started with deck to deck SVHS systems. Then we got something called a Play Trinity which was a non-linear editor the size of a refrigerator. In 2000-2001, the year I graduated and joined the Org, we were using Windows 2000 with Adobe Premiere 6.X with captured SVHS/VHS source, which is what I was then using on my home systems to make my very first AMVs along with my high school friend Kumo (he's on the Org), to make things like this:

I love how clean your setup is
It's a struggle to keep clean. Also my figures drift around as things get moved and it makes it look like they've been making a mess of my desk. Pro tip: IKEA and Nitori. Nitori is probably a Japan only IKEA like retailer, but between those two, I have been able to outfit my office studio for quite cheap.
I used MediaHuman YouTube Downloader for Mac, its really good and I can get 1080p60 and MP3 all in one place. Im gonna have to give that a spin to see what it come out with. Maybe even H265 if you guys support that sense thats now the new hip thing (main reason I got a new laptop besides for effects sense H265 only edits well with hardware support). I usually render all my videos in ProRes 422 and then H264 but youtube sure knows how to distort a video with compression. My last video Betryal is a great example because my grain effect really messes up the video :cry:
...I'll try to see if that gets me a 1080p. I can't speak to how previews is likely to deal with H265, but you can upload in any format you choose. Most people use H264/MP4 (again, see AMV-Tool), but you are not required to. Over the years plenty of things have been uploaded in MPEG1, DiVX/XviD in AVI, various Apple codecs in MOV containers, etc. I think if you want to maximise viewership and keep size down, h264/mp4 with AMV-tool is the way to go.
I do like your style, now that I watch it more I see what you were trying to do.
Storyboarding is my big weakness, This years Otakon was a great learning experience. Im already looking at new approaches to make even better videos.
Its good to have your strengths, thats why I'm working with my aunt she has a good knack for storytelling and I know I'm good at editing.

I really like where those are going, especially Forever. I love that show, thanks for reminding me about that show now I want to do one with that one next. I never though to using Screenshots for storyboarding! Thats a great idea!
I think story-first editors are actually rarer. Most editors come into the hobby with the Ooh-Shiny mentality and want to make the cool visuals they've seen in other videos. THEN they work on their storyboarding, storytelling, and characterisation skills. I think this is normal. Editors like me who say, "I've got complex feelings to express about this story and these people and I want to learn how to edit in order to communicate that" are not the norm. So I wouldn't worry, you're in good company.
(P.S. If you cant tell I'm learning as I go along sense I never finished studying video production, I only learned editing and filming in high school)
I don't know about your high school programme, but mine was quite comprehensive. It was considered "vocational" and it was possible to go onto a professional career from it, though I think most of us went on to university. The maybe exception was one girl who actually did go into video and film production and worked on The Social Network (the docudrama about Facebook). She's actually the girl on the left of the cover of the film:

ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

yKazari
Org Profile

Post by yKazari » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:56 am

That really makes me kinda sad that its another site that I join into when its at its least active. I recently saw a video on YT about the art of AMV dining and I dont know if it has to do with another generation coming in and needing to learn again or if people really are not watching them as much anymore. I know I got really nasty backlash on my main channel with almost 2K subs when I announced that I was no longer doing tech review videos and focusing on making AMVs. I really got to learn who was my friend within the last few months. Kinda why I was really happy to find ORG after all the constant hate to the point I had to make a whole new channel.

YouTube is such a mess, even hosting on there is not even that good due to some music getting completely blocked which stopped me from making a really emotional AMV. (I really have a strong dislike in Google in general, they have done to much to me over the many years.) I am pretty tired of the website as a whole.
That I hate the most is when I see a lot of views and no comments, I desperately want criticism and things to improve. I am luck if I even get a "Nice AMV"

I really hope apple makes another cheese grater sometime soon, there are hints that a modular desktop is coming out but when that is.... :shrug:

I know a lot of people don't like the change, for me it wasn't that much of a move sense I already had USB-C from my S8 before I got a iPhone.
Can someone tell apple that the laptops are thin enough, thanks lol. Every generation there getting thinner and I don't know why
They also remove the startup chime which was worst thing to date

I love watching old AMVs when it much harder to produce. I really respect the veterans and the time it must have taken.
Actually my first ever AMV I did all on tape, only computer involvement was to add audio. All the video was recored via my Video8 camcorder

I only just noticed that this was the main thing that made me want to make AMVs, after I saw what I could do by hand I knew I could make something even better if I edited it. Then thats how I made Riddle Story of the Glitch my first formal AMV

Later I redid the whole thing and made the final version that was used by the artist for his official music video.

This was back when I was all about that analog damaged look.

I saw your Mac Pro video, I recognized that couch. I swear IKEA makes some nice looking stuff.
Your located in Japan? Lucky, Most I have traveled was my EU trip in March.
(Strange that everything changed when I got back from that trip)

MHYD is really reliable, have not found to many good youtube downloaders besides youtube-dl but that not user friendly
I got AMV-Tool, really happy someone took the time to make it. Only thing I could ask for is that it used videotoolbox_h264 on Mac sense thats almost 2x speed.

Just you wait I'm try my best to be as good as you and the others at storytelling :D I took a lot of my early ideas from a few people on Coub that make really high speed smooth flashy videos.

My voteck classes in high school were all over the place but I got to dabble in everything from Graphic Design, Web Design, Video Editing, Filming, Photography. I have to give them some credit for giving me the start of even thinking about doing multimedia.
I wish I got into multimedia, right now I'm in cyber security for the government, its the one thing I can do with my eyes closed. But with multimedia there so much more to learn and enjoy. I guess AMVs are my escape from my job.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:10 am

Will edit this with my responses to your newest post, but here is your opinion:

Opinion (will also go into the formal Op system on your video's page):

Good:

- Video Quality

My have we come a long way. With my 4K monitor, I would only rate this at like 7/10. However, put this on a smaller screen, and you don’t even notice, put it on a projector, and you don’t even notice. Colors look vibrant but not over-saturated. While there is noise, banding, and some degree of over-smoothing, I feel like this is mostly due to having to download from YouTube, it would be interesting to see a sample of the ProRes or even a ProRes to AMV-Tool encoding. I hazard to guess it would be better. Aspect ratio was right. You would be surprised how often this gets messed up.

- Audio Quality

In some ways, audio quality is similar, but maybe it’s not. I tried audio four different ways: AKGs plugged into a normal headphone jack, AKGs plugged into a USB digital sound card, AKGs plugged into my BOSE speakers (which are plugged into the digital line-out), and the BOSE speakers themselves. There is very clear muffling and mushy edges to the audio. However, it is consistent… Almost as if it was artificial. This makes me wonder if the sound engineer on this track wasn’t trying to go for some kind of retro analog sound. Or it could be YouTube. I’d say 8/10.

- Sync, Flow

You’re a good editor. Period. I have no complaints whatsoever about your editing choices. To be clear, when I say editing choices, I mean here your choices of where and how you made cuts, where and how you used transitions, and the shifting speed and breadth of those transitions. I might have chosen different scenes or ordered them differently (which is more about storyboarding, see Heart) than about technical ability. I think you largely avoided the stylistic pitfall of getting too fancy with your transitions when the theme and the source didn’t call for it. I don’t tend to do timecode by timecode opinions unless there are either significant spikes or troughs from the general average, In your case, you had clear consistency across your editing, and I have no stand-out favorite moment, but I also feel that there were no problems. You will of course see errors because you know your timing, but I am looking at the whole package, and as long as it all blends together, I won’t notice any small mistiming.

Needs Improvement

- Lip Flap

The only thing I would change about this video is the amount of lip flap. This is when there is video of characters talking. This is especially true when it doesn’t fit. Screaming in anguish or yelling in excitement isn’t the same as lip flap. Lip flap is when the mouth movement looks out of place. There was, in my view, a fair too much of this. That said, I’ve been known to go too far the other direction and try to eliminate all the lip movement unless it serves particular goals. There are some editors who feel this is unnatural.

- Heart

This is really hard to explain. It’s related to storytelling and characterisation. Aspects you admit are not your strong suit. The best way I can explain this is that I shouldn’t have to ask the question, “why should I care about these people?” “What is being said about them?” “How does this make me feel?” And the very best AMVs are able to communicate the answers to these questions even if the viewer is not familiar at all with the source material. These are questions I had when watching this video. Why are these people fighting? Why are they suffering? How am I supposed to feel about what is happening to them? Unfortunately, I couldn’t answer them. Now, to be clear, action videos, dance videos, upbeat videos can all answer these questions. The answers don’t have to necessarily be deep, maybe the answer is just “this is a fun show, and these are fun characters, and you should feel like you’re having fun watching this video.”

In my view, this is the most important aspect of an AMV, but I admit a bias, and this has been debated for 25 years and will probably continue to be debated well into the future. I can watch grainy, pixelated 320x240p MPEG1 files from 1995 as long as the video has HEART. Most of my favorite AMVs are from a time period when it was hugely difficult to even do crossfades, so straight cuts and absolutely no effects were the norms. These videos had to rely on clearly communicating the answers to those previously mentioned questions or else they were just slide-shows of random clips. I think you might learn a lot from watching videos produced between 1995 and 2005 and take note of which videos use effects or highly stylised transitions as an evolution on top of a strong storyboard versus those that try to rely on effects and transitions with very little underlying structure. I think this is easier to do with older videos because you won’t be awed by the effects the way a contemporary viewer would have been, because you are used to the effects and transitions of 2018 as opposed to say 2003.

Neutral

- Review

This is not my style of video, which means a review score is going to be low. This might make a good video to put on in the background of a party, and I’ve been known to do that with a fair number of AMVs, but I don’t actively want to return to this AMV. This AMV for me isn’t a keeper, but review is always subjective. I can imagine many people keeping this on their playlist to rewatch multiple times, especially if they like the anime, the song, or both. I am just not that person.

DayFourStudios wrote:That really makes me kinda sad that its another site that I join into when its at its least active. I recently saw a video on YT about the art of AMV dining and I dont know if it has to do with another generation coming in and needing to learn again or if people really are not watching them as much anymore. I know I got really nasty backlash on my main channel with almost 2K subs when I announced that I was no longer doing tech review videos and focusing on making AMVs. I really got to learn who was my friend within the last few months. Kinda why I was really happy to find ORG after all the constant hate to the point I had to make a whole new channel.
AMV.... Dining? As in eating while watching AMVs?

My guess is that way more people are watching AMVs, but each individual person is watching AMVs far more casually than when the hobby was younger. This is similar to what is happening with editors. There are WAY more people attempting to make AMVs because of the far easier entry with modern technology, but a much smaller percentage are sticking around to make this a major or primary hobby with years of clear improvement. So basically, number of AMVs are going up, percentage of that total which are good AMVs is dropping because the percentage of people willing to do anything more than dabble with AMVs is also going down. This could be read as a complaint, or a get-off-my-lawn sort of statement, but I just see at as the natural evolution of the democratisation of AMVs. It's not the same 100 people trading tapes or zip disks or burned CDs of AMVs at cons anymore, and it hasn't been for a very long ti,e.
YouTube is such a mess, even hosting on there is not even that good due to some music getting completely blocked which stopped me from making a really emotional AMV. (I really have a strong dislike in Google in general, they have done to much to me over the many years.) I am pretty tired of the website as a whole.
That I hate the most is when I see a lot of views and no comments, I desperately want criticism and things to improve. I am luck if I even get a "Nice AMV"
This is my main issue with YouTube and social media in general. The Org used to be the balance to this, but we also got a reputation amongst the first generation of YouTube editors that we were mean, harsh, undiplomatic, arrogant, elitist. Which is somewhat true to a degree, but only to a degree. We saw ourselves as a group of artists and professionals. Many of us, myself included, went on to actually work in journalism or a related field. Like you, we wanted serious criticism and critique in order to hone our craft. We wanted to debate the philosophy of AMV aesthetics, the meaning and value of remix culture, etc. You would have felt very at home in 2005, I think. If you know other editors who have a similar approach to you, try to bring them here. We may be a lot smaller, and we may have made some changes over the years, but I think we still have this same ethos. New blood who is like-minded would be very much welcomed. As you have been!
I really hope apple makes another cheese grater sometime soon, there are hints that a modular desktop is coming out but when that is.... :shrug:

I know a lot of people don't like the change, for me it wasn't that much of a move sense I already had USB-C from my S8 before I got a iPhone.
Can someone tell apple that the laptops are thin enough, thanks lol. Every generation there getting thinner and I don't know why
They also remove the startup chime which was worst thing to date
Do not want. I have an S8+, but it remains my only USB-C device, and my charging cord for it is USB-A 3.0 anyway.
I love watching old AMVs when it much harder to produce. I really respect the veterans and the time it must have taken.
You're gonna wanna read this thread.
Your located in Japan? Lucky, Most I have traveled was my EU trip in March.
For a long time now. "Kionon lives in Japan" is actually a venerable Org meme.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

yKazari
Org Profile

Post by yKazari » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:26 pm

Thanks so much, it means a lot to me!

Now that you mention it, I see how the Lip Flapping can be distracting. I started learning how to fix that on my last AMV with masking and motion tracking.

I completely agree with you on the heart of it, I never though of it that way. I always was watching it in the technical standpoint. I never stopped and asked my self "Why should I care about these characters"

Thats understandable, after watching the AMVs at Otakon I really and going to work on making my videos a little less aggressive at times and make sure the story is the focus!

Lol I such at spelling, I meant Dieing. But I get what you mean and agree, when ever you look up X popular song you get a lot of the same trow some clips in a basic editor with subtitles. If your lucky cut it a bit but still leave large enough chunks of unedited clips that the video will get a copyright notice. It bugs me because It makes it so hard to find the good because you have to sift though so much (I dont like saying it because people get man) trash.

I really have noticed that people do not like criticism now, Its impossible to improve or make better content without harsh and honest critiques and from multiple points of view so that you can adopt new ideas. At one point that may have been me, brush off all criticism and act as if I was the best thing ever. But I now know the only way I can progress or get better at something is with honest criticism. Everyone has room to improve.
I will defiantly try to reach out to the couple people that I know. I cant stand back and watch a community die.

My biggest gripe with USB-C is the change of thunderbolt 2 to 3 and the requirement of a $50 adapter for port and that annoying when I have bought into thunderbolt quite a bit for AV equipment.

I will defiantly go though that thread and take some notes!

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:47 pm

DayFourStudios wrote:Now that you mention it, I see how the Lip Flapping can be distracting. I started learning how to fix that on my last AMV with masking and motion tracking.
Yeah, I usually do as much as I can with scene selection and then when I can't do anything more via just not using footage, I will use transparent photoshop files to layer closed mouths over open mouths during a scene. This can mean frame-by-frame masking, essentially re-animation, if there's a lot of movement or change in a scene. This takes a long time so I only do it when i absolutely have to. You SHOULDN'T be able to tell what I did wasn't in the original animation. If it ends up obvious, I try to restoryboard the scene.
I completely agree with you on the heart of it, I never though of it that way. I always was watching it in the technical standpoint. I never stopped and asked my self "Why should I care about these characters"

Thats understandable, after watching the AMVs at Otakon I really and going to work on making my videos a little less aggressive at times and make sure the story is the focus!
As I said, I think your approach is the normal one. I've just seen a lot of editors come and go, so I am familiar with the pattern. Think of your favorite YouTube editors and I promise you, the vast majority of them will have been through what you have, even if they can do good storyboarding. They likely were caught up by the cool visuals and that inspired them to start to edit. First videos are usually crap. If some newbie rolls up with an amazing first video, I always suspect that what we are seeing is their first PUBLIC video. I didn't release a video publicly until March of 2001. But I'd been making videos for two years. My first public solo video (Utena - Story of a Girl) was awful. Mix of captured DVD, VHS footage, hard subs, weird bars... The storyboard was okay, the concept was clear, but the execution was poor.
Lol I such at spelling, I meant Dieing. But I get what you mean and agree, when ever you look up X popular song you get a lot of the same trow some clips in a basic editor with subtitles. If your lucky cut it a bit but still leave large enough chunks of unedited clips that the video will get a copyright notice. It bugs me because It makes it so hard to find the good because you have to sift though so much (I dont like saying it because people get man) trash.
Oh, you mean Gigguk's video. People have been AMVs are dying for many years. Don't believe them. The best way to get AMVs is the same way it's always been: getting AMVs from the creator themselves or from a community like this one. Given the higher level of difficulty (although not by much), the AMVs that tend to show up here in Opinion Exchange or in AMV Announcements tend to be much higher quality. They may be a YouTube link, but at least that will take you directly to the video.
I really have noticed that people do not like criticism now, Its impossible to improve or make better content without harsh and honest critiques and from multiple points of view so that you can adopt new ideas. At one point that may have been me, brush off all criticism and act as if I was the best thing ever. But I now know the only way I can progress or get better at something is with honest criticism. Everyone has room to improve.
I will defiantly try to reach out to the couple people that I know. I cant stand back and watch a community die.
It isn't a now thing. It's a human thing. Those that don't want and can't handle criticism will, with a few exceptions, never improve and eventually fade out and quit the hobby. The Org got its harsh, arrogant, elitist reputation from those that would brush off all criticism and even claim bullying or meanness. These folks simply didn't understand what criticism was and how it differs from tearing someone down. You are not your video. Your videos flaws do not reflect on you as a person. Young people, especially adolescents (and I should know, because I was 14 when I started editing and I am a JHS teacher now), tend to make this mistake. And most new editors of any given generation are going to be teenagers. That's just how anime fandom, and therefore AMVs, works.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”