(WIP) 1:1 GMV feedback exchange - Monument Valley tribute gmv

Feedback on betas & works in progress

Moderator: Forum moderators

heptakaidecagon
Org Profile

(WIP) 1:1 GMV feedback exchange - Monument Valley tribute gmv

Post by heptakaidecagon » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:34 am

Hi All,

This is a mostly finished music video that I'm going to submit to MomoCon and any other contests that take non-Japanese source material. I would love to get some feedback on it, especially as I was playing more extensively with animations and transitions than I have in the past.

I've played with a few music videos over the past 8 years, but this last year I was suddenly bitten by the bug to sit down and render my ideas. So this one is my 7th video, 3rd that I will actually make public.

Notes:
1. This is a game music video, not an anime music video. Worse, it's an android game, and so I have the following technical things:
a. Non-standard video width. I can get high resolution fine, but not width. I went with leaving the game centered in black. Anyone with more experience, will this disqualify the video from competitions? Should I make the video the proportions of the game screen, even though that's non-standard?
b. I was unable to turn off the top left corner game menu button. I could (probably) go through every clip and make a patch over that corner, but is that necessary with the understanding that it's a game mv, and this is footage of me playing the game?

2. Specific things I'm hoping for feedback on:
a. category? I made this as a tribute, but I'm wondering if I should put in the game title screen and submit it as a trailer.
b. animated stars at 1:48. I put them in to try to emphasize the star in front of the protagonist, but looking at it now I think I should take them out again, or do them differently, or something.
c. Does it make you interested in playing or watching someone else play the game?

Feedback on any other aspects also very welcome. If you want feedback on a video of yours, leave a link and I will give feedback on it within 1 week.

dropbox link here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y38sez3a2j3k2 ... 5.mp4?dl=0

wittahimeAMV
Org Profile

Re: (WIP) 1:1 GMV feedback exchange - Monument Valley tribute gmv

Post by wittahimeAMV » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:01 pm

Hey heptakaidecagon!

This is my first GMV feedback, well...feedback in general, but I can definitely give you some of my ol' opinions from what I watched.

FIrstly, Monument Valley!? SUCH a great, underrated game, even more, a smartphone game! One of my favorites by far...so I had a soft spot for your video ♥

Now, the feedback.

1) I love the song you chose; it was very serene and relaxing. It fit the feel of Monument Valley.

2) For the overall video, you mentioned in some of your notes about the aspect ratio being slightly wonky cause of it being from an android phone. This was definitely the biggest issue I had. In my opinion, it felt very stationary. There wasn't much movement. If I was a viewer watching with no knowledge of Monument Valley, my attention span would be something left to be desired. I'm not sure what software you use when editing, but if you work with Sony Vegas I can try to give you some tips on aspect ratio and what not.

-I feel as though you should try to address this first and foremost; once an issue like that is resolved it completely changes the look and feel of a video.

3) Some of the clips seemed very long. It created a very static feel for me. Trying to change up the footage to fit different feels/emotion can really help the viewer become invested in watching.

4) Also the little record button in the upper left hand corner distracted me. A lot. But if you're able to fix the aspect ratio that issue may be resolved.

5) I really like the end of the video! To me it felt like the "puzzle" was finally solved. Which was nice.

Otherwise, you have a really good concept here. It can be really strong once those tiny technical aspects are fixed. If you have any other questions please feel free to message me! I love helping out and giving opinions. <3 :cupcake:

EpicMango
Org Profile

Re: (WIP) 1:1 GMV feedback exchange - Monument Valley tribute gmv

Post by EpicMango » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:25 pm

I like it because It's different from most gmvs which are mostly just cut scenes or open cinematics.

Return to “Works in Progress”