Feedback for new "Down the Road" Cowboy Bebop AMV

Feedback on betas & works in progress

Moderator: Forum moderators

DopplerDo
Org Profile

Feedback for new "Down the Road" Cowboy Bebop AMV

Post by DopplerDo » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:32 pm

Hello, illustrious ORG!

After finishing "Desperado," I felt there was a TON of awesome footage that I'd carefully subclipped that I didn't get to use. Then I randomly stumbled across this song by C2C and pretty much fell in love with it.

While this is the most technically complex project I've done to date, I freaking loved every minute of it. And because I worked my butt off, I could not be more excited for criticism and tips to improve. I am in the zone and ready to put ORG advice into practice on my next amv. Let's get down to ze learning!

P.S.: Kireblue, I hope you like your brand of cross-fade in there. ...Except the hard fades at 2:26 where I really wanted a harsh transition of images, like a deck of cards being shuffled quickly.

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Re: Feedback for new "Down the Road" Cowboy Bebop AMV

Post by Kireblue » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:04 am

Awesome job! I don't really have any big criticisms for this. If I had to really not pick, I'd say that I think you slowed down the pace of the video just a little too much at the part from 2:40 - 2:58, but overall, everything was still great! Its a really solid and well edited vid that speaks volumes on your eagerness to improve and take advice from others. And I absolutely loved the harmonica part at 1:10 btw :awesome: .

DopplerDo
Org Profile

Post by DopplerDo » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:54 am

Hey Kireblue,

Thanks for the awesome holiday present :p. That means a lot to hear and you're totally right about 2:40 - 2:58 -- I had a lot of other ideas I just scrapped because it got to technically fancy just for the sake of being fancy. About there I really felt constrained by footage and emotional flow, but I look forward to looking back on this and thinking, "I actually could have just done X, lol." Why must future DopplerDo know all the things?

A few things that get me when I watch this are:
0:19-20 -- the linear velocity actually dulls the effect a bit. The movement should have a bit more character.
0:33 -- the nested track matte creates and awesome feel when you first watch it, but the content underneath it (with which I tested a lot of variations) just ended up a little dull and hard to visually decipher in time.
2:54 - the color match gets broken here. I could have used color correction to make this work, but 3:04 wouldn't have popped so well.

I look forward to shipping the next one and inventing new editing regrets ;p. What a slow-burn rush AMVs are.

Paige11
Org Profile

Post by Paige11 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:36 am

Cool? thank you !) I was enjoying watching this!!)

DopplerDo
Org Profile

Post by DopplerDo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:19 pm

Thanks, Paige11! If you end up having any opinion on how I can improve, I'm always happy to hear it, too! Thanks again for clicking on the link and giving me some of your time!

Return to “Works in Progress”