Death Note AMV 1:1 Opinion Exchange (Detailed/Good Reviews!)

Feedback on betas & works in progress

Moderator: Forum moderators

ellenox
Org Profile

Death Note AMV 1:1 Opinion Exchange (Detailed/Good Reviews!)

Post by ellenox » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:00 am

This is the first AMV I've edited in a few years, using CyberLink Power Director 12 (Vs. Windows Movie Maker, which is a terrible editor, I am so happy to not be using it any more) Anyway,
This is a 1:1 exchange, I will write detailed/generally good reviews.. If I see areas for improvement, I will mention such.. But in general, I am pretty generous with scores, and won't fault harshly for errors (unless there's something, that I see, that REALLY brings down the video as a whole.) ...My AMV is to the anime series "Death Note", and my song choice is "My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark (Light Em Up)" by Fall Out Boy

Here's the link -- https://www.animemusicvideos.org/member ... p?v=202963

(Or you can watch it here) -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSDBPoj ... tion=share

Either way. Once you have left your opinion (and mentioned the video you want reviewed), I will download, view, and leave an opinion within 24-48 hours (most likely) (I do have a part time job, so I will be working within the constraints of that) ...In general, I will watch/review any video... But, if you leave me a terrible opinion with no basis (Like, giving me all 0's and saying the reason was you didn't like the song or the anime..) Don't be surprised if I don't leave you a great opinion.

So let the opinion exchange begin!! I can't wait to see what you guys have to say about the video, and in turn, watching yours and leaving mine.

Thanks!! ^_^

- Elle

MalkyTop
Org Profile

Re: Death Note AMV 1:1 Opinion Exchange (Detailed/Good Reviews!)

Post by MalkyTop » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:56 pm

Hi there! I'm not so good at rating things with numbers, so this is gonna just be me writing what I think I guess, if that's okay.

First of all, I think a lot of your effect use is good, such as the TV static and the screen shakes and such when you use them. But I feel like some of the transitions you try to use to go between scenes might be a little bit too....hokey? I'm thinking of the page-turn and the "spinning blinds" effect that you use a few times to go to another scene. I thought the transition at the "ashes" lyrics, where the scene burns up, was a good one, though. In general, I guess i think the issue is something like....seeing the "transformation?" I'm not sure if I can explain this right...but with the burning transition, one frame was burning up, making it "disappear" i guess. But when it's flipping or page turning, it's like...it feels like i can see the "trick." Ugh....i'm sorry i'm just finding it hard to explain...

I think you are good at making high energy scenes match high energy music, but it felt like in the middle that you ran out of high energy scenes or something. basically, any time that the chorus started and what I saw was scenes slowly panning and fading into another one, it was too jarring. I'm mostly thinking about the second chorus as compared to the first. I admit that it might be that I'm used more to my own editing style, though.

I think you did a good job making clear the sequence of events and what actually is happening, though, especially at the end. I never actually finished Death Note and I only really remember the basic premise, but the ending for me was just like, oh! Dang!

Basically, I kinda question whether the song fits what you were trying to do. I don't think you need to tone down on the effects, but I do think some of your transitions could be better. I hope that helps...

Recently I made an amv, "death of a disaster artist (the artist is sanji and he's a disaster)" and I would appreciate feedback on it, though it's okay if you don't too.

Return to “Works in Progress”