5 Centimeters AMV - Constructive Feedback Wanted

Feedback on betas & works in progress

Moderator: Forum moderators

DopplerDo
Org Profile

5 Centimeters AMV - Constructive Feedback Wanted

Post by DopplerDo » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:39 pm

In this 5 Centimeters per Second AMV, I focused primarily on taking Rider4Z's great feedback from my last AoT AMV seriously:
Rider4Z wrote:The whole video from the very beginning focuses on Eren. He is our character, he is the one we are to follow emotionally. I was totally with you the whole time on this. But then in the last act suddenly Annie was a critical element in the story. Where did that come from? I don't recall seeing her in the beginning at all. You tried to cram her whole story into the finale. And the last scene you leave us with is her falling from the wall to the ground in defeat. Your ending should always come full circle. You should have ended with Eren in triumph, not so much having defeated Annie but having tackled the titans in general and surviving. If you leave your ending open ended like this then your story won't (and doesn't) feel finished.
While there is certainly limited footage in 5CPS, I dropped the entire Kanae arc and tried to weave the child, teenage, and adult Takaki/Akari's perspective into a coherent narrative with Rider4Z's criticism in mind.

As always, I am very interested in getting better, so please don't hold any honest thoughts back -- just try to keep it constructive if you can. The AMV Forum's opinions mean a ton to me, so thanks in advance for making me better :D !

Some love for the forgotten emojis: :dino: :shark: :bear: :sorcerer: :space: :puppy: :cyborg: :cupcake:

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Re: 5 Centimeters AMV - Constructive Feedback Wanted

Post by Kireblue » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:53 am

you really did take her advice about reminders and pay offs seriously lol. Great Job! I really like that you had the flash backs in the end while they were departing. I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone edit with this movie that saved those scenes for a strong ending. People usually start off with them, but I think this way was a lot more effective. My only advice is to watch out for stray black frames (like at 0:15). And some of your fades to black did feel a little long. But besides from that, the video was pretty solid from start to finish

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:42 pm

I'm honored you took my advice. :)

DopplerDo
Org Profile

Post by DopplerDo » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:35 am

kireblue wrote:My only advice is to watch out for stray black frames (like at 0:15). And some of your fades to black did feel a little long. But besides from that, the video was pretty solid from start to finish
Sweet mother of the triforce, I did not even notice that black frame at 0:15! I went back in the project and found that hole and there is no reason for it! Excellent find, kireblue. You have some eagle eyes!
Rider4Z wrote:Image

I'm honored you took my advice. :)
And Rider4Z, it was some killer advice! Thanks for taking the time to help a noob out in detail! You're a rockstar!!

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:21 pm

To be honest, most veteran editors are happy to embark their knowledge and experience on anyone willing to listen. Unfortunately, the majority of noob editors when asking for opinions are actually just asking for praise without really having any interest in improving. So on the rare occasion one comes along such as yourself who is seriously looking for help, it makes us all very giddy inside :awesome:

DopplerDo
Org Profile

Post by DopplerDo » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:34 pm

Rider4Z wrote:To be honest, most veteran editors are happy to embark their knowledge and experience on anyone willing to listen. Unfortunately, the majority of noob editors when asking for opinions are actually just asking for praise without really having any interest in improving. So on the rare occasion one comes along such as yourself who is seriously looking for help, it makes us all very giddy inside :awesome:
I'm glad we found the win-win easter egg :bzz: !

Return to “Works in Progress”