1:1 Need opinions on my latest AMV please

Feedback on betas & works in progress

Moderator: Forum moderators

Swaglum
Org Profile

1:1 Need opinions on my latest AMV please

Post by Swaglum » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:07 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_oFvFlbGCs

Opinions will be appreciated. I thought i would make a kinda sad AMV due to me always make an action AMV that contains a lot of fighting in, so its not the best of AMV's.

earnesthumor
Org Profile

Re: 1:1 Need opinions on my latest AMV please

Post by earnesthumor » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:18 am

First impressions: the coloring is nice, the clips and audio are good quality, both transitions into the chorus were impressive and evoked emotion really well.

[I don't know this anime so I might be missing out on deeper meanings in the clip choice.] Some scenes, particularly the lip-syncing ones felt too static. Consider panning or zooming to give a hint of motion. Also when using action clips during the soft lyrics, perhaps slow the clips down to make a bigger impact. The fades in the first verse felt a bit short for the song and felt oddly timed, while the hard cuts in the second verse fit the music much better. I enjoyed the choruses a lot. It seems like the end of the video is less polished than the rest, but the final scene was strong.

Swaglum
Org Profile

Post by Swaglum » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:17 am

Thanks for your opinion. I appreciate it a lot, i completely agree with you in that the lip-syncing felt to static and i will use your advice in the future.

Jedinovice
Org Profile

Post by Jedinovice » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:45 am

OK, I have been absent from this board for ages due to work, and working on my latest AMV as best as I could. I need to catch up a bit. I haven't even read the news updates yet!

Feedback: overall, rather good and I generally liked it. I wasn't sure about the track at first but it settled down nicely. Generally good timing, pace and feel.

I didn't have a problem with the cuts or transitions myself. The video seemed to flow very nicely to me and the flash to the soundtrack was very effective. Credit to you there! You used various transitions but you used them correctly - an unusual transitional for an unusual cut and then normal for everything else so it had an effect and not like a young child unleashed on a bumper pack of colored crayons! Well done! :up:

Still a few things that stuck out for me - though I know how hard it is to get a cut exactly right. I have had to stop and just release despite knowing I could tidy up a dozen things but I had to quit or it would never have been finished.

1) I am not sure about the colour washing. [This is where you tell me you didn't use color correction and I look stupid!] It's a trick used by a great number of AMV creators and I understand why but it can scream "Look at me! I use color correction!" Also, desaturating an anime can make it seem not emotionally 'sad' as just 'depressing.' Lack of color implies hopelessness. I would use sparingly. Of course, you may not have used color correction at all and I look an idiot, as I say, but, I would argue that there was something odd with your sources because the color seems washed out throughout the video. :?

2) There were flapping lips! I know (!!!) this is hard to get rid off and it's in my latest AMV but I really couldn't avoid it! Still, there are ways to minimise the lips. Try, where possible to use another clip! Or… use the voice. If it's a clip without background music actually overlaying the voice can add effect to a video. I amazed so few creators use this extra layer of effect when it is there for the taking. Or, pan and zoom to cut out the character with the flapping lips or… slow the clip or even freeze and use an overlap or long transition. That's what I do to try and avoid lip flapping. But, sometimes it just can't be helped, I grant. Oh, sometimes, when all else fails, I subtitle the flapping lips, even if it is summary of the speech.

3) The video cuts out sharply! If you are going to end the AMV before the track is finished you MUST fade the music out gradually and well in advance of the final frame so the viewer knows where you are going and you must fade out your last cut or it's a shock. I had no idea the cut was so short and it threw me.

Also, I wasn't quite sure where the AMV was going in terms of emotional effect because it didn't quite seem to focus on an individual or couple clearly so I didn't quite get the 'story.' It's all very well doing a sad AMV but the power in a 'sad' AMV are in making people *feel.* For that to work there has to be some kind of narrative - a couple of a tradegy.

Below is an example of a sad AMV that works in terms of involving the viewer. (I used to use to teach students inference until I found a student who couldn't get it and I made my own video that works better. For teaching that is.) Note that it is a sad anime but it is moving, has a narrative and has no surprises to distract the viewer from the heart. No: This is NOT one of mine!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99-Hzo5n2Mk

But, as you say, it is your first sad AMV. I tend not to do battle AMV's so I accept you have moved into something different. All I will say - with sad AMV's, focus on the 'feelz' above everything else. Nothing distracting.

And I doubt I could do better! Take this is as thumbs up with just a bit of advice! :D
And, sorry about the long post. I get carried away. I am a private tutor by profession these days.
Video editing on Kdenlive in Mint Linux KDE 17.0
H/W: An ASUS X200 dirt cheap Dual core atom n2840 at 2.16GHz
...and they said it couldn't be done!!! :lol:

Return to “Works in Progress”