Doing everyone (Revelation)

Feedback on betas & works in progress

Moderator: Forum moderators

Sephirothskr
One Winged Angel
Org Profile

Doing everyone (Revelation)

Post by Sephirothskr » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:45 pm

Send me your videos, I shall gladly do opinions on all of you.

EnQuatre
Org Profile

Re: Doing everyone (Revelation)

Post by EnQuatre » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:21 pm

------

I'd appreciate feedback on this video if possible, by the way!

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... 6&t=124811

------

I liked this! Pretty trippy and unsettling, with some creative use of fx and a great mood and feel throughout!

Breakdown:
0:00-0:30 a very effective intro sequence. Love the parallels here between clips.

0:30-0:38 Your scene choice is solid here, but it's difficult to tell what you're going for in terms of sync. Sometimes you sync with the dark minor chord, other times it's the drumbeats, other times it's the vocals.

0:38-1:05 Here, it's much more clear what you're going for. Nice visuals.

1:05-1:14 great use of that shot of Homura with the echoing vocals. Clever!

1:14-1:37 Wow! Way to match the pacing and throw things into a higher gear! I like this segment.

1:37-1:48 The effect you used here ends up looking a little static, in my opinion. I can totally see what you're going for, and I love the lyrics quote and concept, but in contrast to the previous section, it's a bit too glacial of a shot to keep pace with the tempo you established earlier.

1:48-2:16 New section, eh? The black and white portion of this section is very well done, with a very visceral 'pulse'! I also am a fan of the soul gem shot at around 2:04, which echoes the earlier shot of Homura collapsing.

2:16-2:37 I like this section as well. Very neat use of effects linking the various shots of characters in solitude. If anything, I would suggest making more use of those haunting chords whenever they come up, but that's up to you!

2:37-3:51 Well done! This is definitely the heart of the whole AMV for me, and your editing is extremely strong here. I do notice you re-use an identical shot at 2:43 and 3:42, which some might comment on... not that I mind.

3:51-3:58 This could even have made a pretty good ending for the AMV right here, yet it turns out to be a false ending, and you jump right back into it!

3:58-4:53 Again, largely solid work. A shot of Mami and Homura dueling is repeated here from the earlier instrumental chorus. The outro is quite effective!

Overall, I think your scene choice is pretty powerful and thematically consistent, and that gives your AMV have a large degree of unity! My biggest general bit of feedback would be that there isn't a great deal of scene 'progression' per se throughout the AMV, leaving it rather formless in terms of a story arc. The visual and musical arc, however, are perfect and well-paced, and really match the song track! I'm also impressed by the effort you've put into editing and effects usage across the entire AMV.

I would be pretty proud of this one if I were you! The mood is spot on--oppressive, foreboding, and volatile. Very cool!

Sephirothskr
One Winged Angel
Org Profile

Post by Sephirothskr » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:56 pm

(For future reference, do opinions on the submit opinion page on video page) (Btw, I realized I re-used a scene after I finished which pissed me off, but was too minor of a mistake to waste another 6 hours rendering/uploading/resubmitting to cons.)

But since you did yours here, I'll do it as well. I like the concept you got going a LOT. Has great potential to be great, but there's some stuff that needs work on. Your scene selection is great through out, however, you're constantly using hard cuts throughout the thing and at some points you're consistently hitting every single tiny drum beat as it picks up, which, that's great for some fast scenes, but at one point you're doing it for a while and it's incredibly jarring because there's no flow and it's just flying past the viewers eyes. (2:09-2:24) Now, all of those scenes correlate to eachother, which is cool. But, if you decide to keep that pace, transition. Make good use ofem.

Now, some parts of the video where you did the hard cuts look great! Example being (1:23-1:32)

A minor thing to fix, super easy to as well. (:34-:35) That zoom. I know exactly what you're trying to do. Easiest way to do so, the pre zoom shot is A, the post-zoom is B. Dissolve the two together to see it better, and align the zoom to match the b image perfectly, and add blur. So the frames stay consistent. You'll notice after the zoom the two shots aren't even in sync. So it'll look great though once you got it touched up.

Honestly, the number one thing the video needs is transitions. You got some great stuff here that'd majorly benefit from it. Go ahead and try! (Try and get creative too, other than dissolves) there's some great shots in here that'll make for some decent shots. Try zooming in corners, and zooming out in the following frame, blur/brightness/dissolve, experiment. You have the shots in place, now you just need the final touch ups! Hope that helped!

EnQuatre
Org Profile

Post by EnQuatre » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:58 pm

Sephirothskr wrote:(For future reference, do opinions on the submit opinion page on video page)
Ah. Yes. Right, ha. I'll do that!
Sephirothskr wrote: A minor thing to fix, super easy to as well. (:34-:35) That zoom. I know exactly what you're trying to do. Easiest way to do so, the pre zoom shot is A, the post-zoom is B. Dissolve the two together to see it better, and align the zoom to match the b image perfectly, and add blur. So the frames stay consistent. You'll notice after the zoom the two shots aren't even in sync. So it'll look great though once you got it touched up.
Perfect! That's exactly what I was hoping for!

The other feedback is super helpful as well. Many thanks!

Return to “Works in Progress”