1:1 AMV Not Alone

Feedback on betas & works in progress

Moderator: Forum moderators

knage
Org Profile

1:1 AMV Not Alone

Post by knage » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:42 am

New AMV, the usual, write for me and I'll write back?

YouTube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmARoS ... GP_b7rHM7g

I edit with a passion. Remember my name.

XxNotedNinjaAssassinxX
Org Profile

Re: 1:1 AMV Not Alone

Post by XxNotedNinjaAssassinxX » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:03 pm

Throughout the video I saw that you stayed consistent with the theme, however there were some parts that felt like you just wanted to put that scene because it looked cool. You did a great job matching the scenes with the beats, which made me want to watch it until the end. Watching this I could tell you worked hard to find scenes that matched your song along with your theme you used.

knage
Org Profile

Post by knage » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:13 am

XxNotedNinjaAssassinxX wrote:Throughout the video I saw that you stayed consistent with the theme, however there were some parts that felt like you just wanted to put that scene because it looked cool. You did a great job matching the scenes with the beats, which made me want to watch it until the end. Watching this I could tell you worked hard to find scenes that matched your song along with your theme you used.
I'm pretty late seeing this one. Thank you though, and you are right I did use scenes that I thought looked better or cool to leave a better impact. If I wanted to I could have used any but I did try and stick to what I felt the song was portraying and I'm happy that you seen that.

EnQuatre
Org Profile

Post by EnQuatre » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:38 pm

I thought this was pretty good! Very confident editing, and really crisp use of zooms, sync, and transitions. Overall, a pretty dynamic action AMV!

If anything, I did feel that the AMV meandered somewhat in terms of pacing, which ultimately hurts its rewatch value. Overall, I think this was largely a function of this particular music track, which is entirely instrumental with a fairly gradual buildup and little in terms of a well-defined high point.

------

I'd appreciate feedback on this video if possible, by the way!

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... 6&t=124811

------

Breakdown:
(disclaimer-while I'm familiar with the premises of all the series you used, I've only actually watched FMA)

0:00-0:16 I like the idea for the black-and-white opening, and I can definitely see what you're going for. That said, I thought the scene choice was a little odd here. The scenes chosen (FMA, SAO, Soul Eater, HxH, etc...) seem to evoke different ideas. There's desperation, determination, loneliness, and friendship all depicted, and it seems to clash a bit in terms of establishing a theme. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to feel after watching this opening sequence of shots.

0:16-0:30 Strong intro here. You establish which series you'll be featuring throughout, and there's good visual parallelism with the eye shots and successive clips of all the characters walking towards the camera.

0:31-0:57 Good, solid action editing. The repeated four-clip pattern is easy to follow and pretty snappy! I think the FMA clip with the burning house is a little out of place with all the rest of the combat in this section, but that's just me.

0:57-1:01 I like this transition. Excellent pacing to match the music, and I love the use of those black frames for the beat sync!

1:01-1:30 Not much to say here. Everything looks solid!

1:30-1:33 Clever.

1:33-1:56 Maybe this is due to the fact that I haven't ever watched Hunter x Hunter, but I thought the basketball clip seemed a little out of place. I could totally be missing the significance of this, though. The rest of this sequence is very strong once again. The clip with Greed versus Edward stood out to me as a particularly clever bit of sync.

1:57-2:00 Once again, a very strong transition back to the "chorus".

2:00-2:28 Great stuff.

2:28-2:57 Bridge! I'm going to be upfront and say that the focus/fisheye effect feels a bit overdone to me. Again, there's also a bit of a conflict of emotional mood. As a viewer who hasn't seen some of these series, the scene choice doesn't make it obvious to me what the meaning behind some of these clips is, and that makes it a little ambiguous what I'm supposed to be feeling. That could totally be my fault for not having watched these series, so depending on your audience that may not be an issue!

2:57-3:44 This is a really strong outro. You echo your opening sequence well.

3:44 I wasn't entirely sold on the ending shot...

Overall, I found this quite enjoyable and well-executed. That said, I was looking throughout for a sense of direction that I never really was able to find... The title you chose was "Not Alone", and after several views, I still can't find an overarching theme other than a vague idea of determination. A lot of the scene choice lacked significance to me as a viewer unfamiliar with many of the titles you used. A good portion of this could also be the result of the music track--tackling an instrumental-only piece is surprisingly hard, and I have great respect for what you managed to make out of it! (I do notice that this is a re-master of an AMV you did a while back, so I totally understand that this is based upon some older work from you) Overall, though, I'm quite impressed by your editing flair. Your action editing is pretty strong, and you incorporate some pretty good use of fx!

'd say you did a pretty good job! I was a big fan of Stand in the Rain, and I'll be keeping an eye out on your future work for sure!

knage
Org Profile

Post by knage » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:03 pm

EnQuatre wrote:I thought this was pretty good! Very confident editing, and really crisp use of zooms, sync, and transitions. Overall, a pretty dynamic action AMV!
Well, quite the review, I can't put out the same thought process but I promise to review yours. Otherwise thanks! It was vague, as everything was based on what I felt the song could relate to at any given point so I get the confusion. The Hunter x Hunter basketball was from my older AMV and I re-did it. And the name of my AMVs depend on the name of the song, nothing else usually. And I understand what you mean at the end, I was having trouble on finding something to put and that was the most agreeable thing I could find.

knage
Org Profile

Post by knage » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:23 pm

EnQuatre wrote: I'd appreciate feedback on this video if possible, by the way!
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... 6&t=124811
I was going to do a review something like yous but it a work in progress so I'll save a bit of the effort for when it's fully done.

I don't know how much further you've gone since it'd been awhile but I could see the tone of the scenes match with the music, I will say they were a number of face shots but I don't really see an issue as on now.
At the beginning I liked it, it let's me know this is an AMV that someone actually put work into, as first impressions it's good. Though, I know it's a work in progress but i also think it needs something more to it because it is a bit still in my opinion, I would've had flashes and jitters put in there but lets see what you have in store.
I could also see some lyric sync with that guy with the white hair and the black haired guy, I could feel the despair at the end and I also liked those scenes with the multiple cross hairs aimed at their targets.
Anything else would only relate to the actual completion, like i think the scenes may be a bit naked that they don't have any CC on it(I think) or maybe something else to make it seem more dark and ominous( if that's what you're going for)
Just took a look at another AMV of yours, I realized you don't do heavy effects, so that's cool, but I still want to see the end result.

So not sure how useful this is, but good luck, and I also noticed that you used multiple scenes but I can't find any spoilers so you did good on that too.

Return to “Works in Progress”