Magical Girl AMVs

Feedback on betas & works in progress

Moderator: Forum moderators

SailorTardis
Org Profile

Magical Girl AMVs

Post by SailorTardis » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:28 pm

So for my Momocon AMV submission, I decided to scrap my previous AMV and decided to work on one with a more specific focus: Magical Girls.

I created two different ones:

The first, a more upbeat one called Magical Girls Go Go Go:

And a more dramatic one, Magical Girls don't have a clue:

To be honest, I'm more proud of the second one, as I had a clearer focus for that one. I was wondering which one people preferred and what needs to be fixed.
"Of course! Don't you know anything about science?"

Antman_537
Org Profile

Re: Magical Girl AMVs

Post by Antman_537 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:17 pm

They both look really good! I'm by no means an expert on these things, but in the absence of greater wisdom, I'll give my two cents:

The first one is the one I'd personally recommend for the competition; it's got a good, fast beat and fun lyrics. A lot of the category X AMV's I see do well tend to follow a similar formula.
Some strong points are 0:22, 0:43, 1:29, 1:52, 2:00, 2:16, 2:24, 2:36
I did feel like you could trim it shorter; at about 2:22 the song hits what feels like a natural cutting point, but then keeps going. I'd play with closing the AMV there, as after the false end it starts to feel like it's dragging on. Also, at 2:29, I feel like we've seen this clip already.

I really like the tighter theme of the second one a lot; it's got a very compelling narrative, and feels like it actually means something as a result. I like the music selection, but I could see it losing audiences because of its lack of lyrics. You'll have to be sure the visuals are positively riveting to compensate.
Some strong points are 0:09,1:19, 1:35, and 1:50
I'm not super fond of the jumps between 2d and 3d animation; it's a little bit jarring to me. The worst instance is at 2:45

Best of luck working on them; hope you do well in the show!

SailorTardis
Org Profile

Post by SailorTardis » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:42 pm

Thank you for your feedback! I'll definitely try ending the first AMV there, to see how that works out.
"Of course! Don't you know anything about science?"

Antman_537
Org Profile

Post by Antman_537 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:51 pm

No problem; hope it turns out great! If you get a chance, leave some feedback for my project as well, haha [shameless plug]

Return to “Works in Progress”