The Unofficial Thank you for the finalist videos pack! topic

jikap
Org Profile

The Unofficial Thank you for the finalist videos pack! topic

Post by jikap » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:14 pm

I guess i just wanted to say thank you, for the trouble of creating the giant video pack of all the finalists with the awesome playlist :)

it made me see some videos i would otherwise miss, and even changed some of my votes. ;)

So, once again, Thank you :!:

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:17 pm

Yeah, that was pretty awesome of the mods (or was it just jasper?). I've already downloaded all these videos throughout the year, but I really like the idea of it! Good job!

Mooninaut
Org Profile

Post by Mooninaut » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:53 pm

I haven't been keeping up with AMVs.org, so I don't have any of this year's videos. I'm very grateful to be able to download all the finalists at once. Thanks a bunch!

One minor question: Would it be desirable to make a torrent instead of a HTTP download to save on site bandwidth? I'd be happy to seed a torrent if it existed.

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:54 pm

Yah. Thnx for the wonderfulness of the download. :O

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:32 pm

Mooninaut wrote:One minor question: Would it be desirable to make a torrent instead of a HTTP download to save on site bandwidth? I'd be happy to seed a torrent if it existed.
Considering the VCAs are over in less than a week, probably not. Next year thouogh I'd kinda like to see torrents of the semi finals (broken into categories so you can skip the boring ones like romance or biggest noob).

I think I said this elsewhere but nice idea, it's good to know more people will at least get all the finals if not necessarily watch them before voting.

jasper-isis
P. Y. T.
Org Profile

Re: The Unofficial Thank you for the finalist videos pack! t

Post by jasper-isis » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:18 pm

jikap wrote:I guess i just wanted to say thank you, for the trouble of creating the giant video pack of all the finalists with the awesome playlist :)
You're welcome! :D
jikap wrote:it made me see some videos i would otherwise miss, and even changed some of my votes. ;)
Sweet, that was exactly the kind of effect that I had intended.
Mooninaut wrote:One minor question: Would it be desirable to make a torrent instead of a HTTP download to save on site bandwidth? I'd be happy to seed a torrent if it existed.
I tossed that idea around for a while, and after a while we decided to just go with the HTTP download for simplicity's sake. Bittorrent is a very viable option, but I'm fuzzy on the logistical details (how to set up a tracker, how many seeders we'd need, etc). If anybody wants to set up a tracker on their private site (with no links to pirated videos/music/warez) and start seeding, I wouldn't mind hopping on and seeding as well.
godix wrote:Next year thouogh I'd kinda like to see torrents of the semi finals (broken into categories so you can skip the boring ones like romance or biggest noob).
I agree with pushing the semi videos a little more (after all, the semis determine the finals), but I don't think splitting the files by category is the way to do it. Especially since, as you said, a lot of people would just download the categories they like and ignore the others. We need a way of encouraging people to watch all the entries without being too pushy about it, and we're trying to think outside of the box right now to figure out how. ;)

Mithroch
Location: Indiana. There isn't more than corn here. The crow lies.
Org Profile

Re: The Unofficial Thank you for the finalist videos pack! t

Post by Mithroch » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:31 pm

jasper-isis wrote:
godix wrote:Next year thouogh I'd kinda like to see torrents of the semi finals (broken into categories so you can skip the boring ones like romance or biggest noob).
I agree with pushing the semi videos a little more (after all, the semis determine the finals), but I don't think splitting the files by category is the way to do it. Especially since, as you said, a lot of people would just download the categories they like and ignore the others. We need a way of encouraging people to watch all the entries without being too pushy about it, and we're trying to think outside of the box right now to figure out how. ;)
It certainly couldn't hurt. I downloaded a crap ton of stuff I hadn't seen or had deleted earlier in the year for the semis. The process was for each category involved... figuring out if I had the video to begin with... downloading everything I needed... watching... critiquing... rewatching... voting. I ended up making a spread sheet to track each category (man I'm a dork... even for a dork). Also... I had trouble downloading a few vids that were only available via direct d/l (those people lost).

I think anything to give voters more time to watch the videos rather than downloading and reorganizing their AMV collection would help them get to categories in which they have less interest. Due to the time I took making sure I had everything... I ended up running out of time to watch all of the best compilations... and was considering cutting out other categories as well.
I'm not rich... I just plan on dying before I retire.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:20 pm

I'd also support the torrenting idea for next year - the whole download is pretty large, and if a torrent was correctly implemented anyone grabbing it could unselect videos that he/she already has, decreasing the wait time and the unnecessary duplication. As it is, i'd grab he whole thing this year, but i probably have over 2/3 of that 2.1 GB archive on my computer already. Not 2/3 of the videos, but 2/3 of the entire size *coughMEPscough*
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

DriftRoot
Org Profile

Post by DriftRoot » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:16 pm

Torrent = good, as long as the seeding was kept up.

Just make a bulk torrent available for download with the individual videos broken up by category within it - essentially giving people with a small amount of bittorrent technical knowledge the option to download the whole thing, specific categories or specific AMVs as they wish and still satisfy folks who just want a convenient "click here to get 'em all" option.

The only iffy part of making a bulk torrent is that I could see it migrating elsewhere on the Web extremely easily - if a-m-v.org wants to keep control of the VCA videos as a collection, that's letting the cat out of the bag big time...not sure if that's actually even a viable concern, but I could see naughty people sticking their own AMVs in the collection and then redistributing it as the official VCA pack. Given the number of people who like to swipe/be dishonest about AMVs and the number of people who are incredibly ill-informed about what they download (and/or gullible)...it's not that far fetched to think such a thing could a) happen or b) be a problem.

I'm such a glass-is-half-full kind of person...

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:20 pm

DriftRoot wrote:Just make a bulk torrent available for download with the individual videos broken up by category within it - essentially giving people with a small amount of bittorrent technical knowledge the option to download the whole thing, specific categories or specific AMVs as they wish and still satisfy folks who just want a convenient "click here to get 'em all" option.
That's what I was saying, no need to split up the torrents - I personally often get "big pack" torrents from which I only get individual files that I want and cancel out the rest. No "advanced" torrenting skills needed here, just a decent client.

But let's not focus the discussion on torrents just yet. How do we know that, just as this year, the administration won't have a good non-torrent solution? I mean, bandwith isn't a problem for the .org as far as I'm aware. All it'd take is just another clever method of packaging the vids :P
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Return to “2008 AnimeMusicVideo.org Viewer's Choice Awards”