New to AMV's and need assisstance

Hunterzero83
Org Profile

New to AMV's and need assisstance

Post by Hunterzero83 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:02 pm

Hello, I am completly new to AMV'S and Photishop and could use some help with these effects I want to do.

1: Is there an easy way to cut out an anime character from one screen capture and put her in another. I know about masking and the lasso tool, I have found the lasso tool easier to use.

2: Can I cut out the background of a gif, and just have my character gif appear as a faded transparent image across another background, like you see in alot of Anime openings?

3: I dont know what it is calked but what is the vertical scrolling upwards to like a title called. Im not sure how to describe it, like the camera pans ipwards traveling

Thanks

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Re: New to AMV's and need assisstance

Post by Zarxrax » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:58 pm

Yes, you can do all of that but it depends on the video editing software you are using. You mention photoshop, which is mainly designed for working with still images, but people generally do all of those things within their video editing software, if possible. You are correct that masking is the term for cutting out a character from the background. When done on video, it is sometimes called rotoscoping. I would recommend searching youtube for tutorials for masking or rotoscoping for the particular software you are using.

Your 2nd item sounds like masking + transparency (also called opacity). Almost any editing software supports transparency.

Third item sounds like just moving the image across the screen. Most software also supports basic motion/positioning/transform.

Hunterzero83
Org Profile

Post by Hunterzero83 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:28 pm

Awsome! Thank you so much! The 3rd item, I was looking at doing is what you would see in an anine where the screen/background scrolls upward.

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:22 am

If I understand correctly, then just slowly scrolling upward would involve just scale/zoom on the bottom part of the video/image, and then keyframe the position to move the image down. Its usually pretty obvious that you zoomed in though, because the footage will become more blurry, so its important to use the highest resolution source footage you can find. This effect is sometimes called the Ken Burns effect when you are searching for tutorials.

Hunterzero83
Org Profile

Post by Hunterzero83 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:32 pm

Thanks again.
A few other questions. I will be using Photishop and After Effects.
Hiw can I have an image appear over another still image? Not a gif?

If I have a gif file, what would I need to do to make it so I see just her without the background?

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:12 pm

If you have after effects then all of this stuff is pretty easy in there. You shouldn't really need to go into photoshop for anything.
You probably just need to watch a few beginners tutorials for after effects that go over the basics. Just spend a few hours learning the basics of it and getting comfortable with using it, and you will likely be able to do all of what you have described.

Return to “Effects & Techniques”