Shatter Transition Effect

yKazari
Org Profile

Shatter Transition Effect

Post by yKazari » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:33 pm

Hay I wanted to do a shatter transition effect for one of my AMVs @ 00:01:12:15

I have temporally put some stock footage over it so you can understand what I mean.

I know how to use Motion 5 and thats my VFX program of choice but I do have After Effects if need be
Yukimi Kazari "Kazari da Editor"
Studio Setup: MacBook Pro 2017 (i7 3.1GHz), HP 32q, CalDigit TS3+, Apple Magic Keyboard/Mouse/Trackpad

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Re: Shatter Transition Effect

Post by Kionon » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:57 pm

It took me 4 watches to catch that it wasn't in the original source. I never would have thought this was an added effect.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

tko03isaneditor
Org Profile

Post by tko03isaneditor » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:03 pm

Hey yKazari! I'm not all that fluent in motion 5 so i can't really help there. But i can in after effects!

In the "Effects and Presets" tab (if its not on your scrollbar go to window and click on Effects and presets) type in "Shatter" , Double click it or drag it onto your clip and then in the Effect Controls tab (Do the same thing mentioned previously if you don't see effect controls) turn the view to rendered. Also this is very important! Shatter will only work at the beginning of a video meaning it can't be a cut clip. If it is a cut clip, just pre-compose it and select "move all attributes to new composition"

Once you've done that add the shatter effect once more and it should be done! Change the shape to glass and play around with the settings until you like what you see!

-Tko03isaneditor
Anirevo Marketing Team 2020

yKazari
Org Profile

Post by yKazari » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:22 pm

After fighting to get After Effects CS6 installed again, I got it
Thanks thats a great start, what do I set to make it completely fall away and not leave parts behind around the edges of the frame
Yukimi Kazari "Kazari da Editor"
Studio Setup: MacBook Pro 2017 (i7 3.1GHz), HP 32q, CalDigit TS3+, Apple Magic Keyboard/Mouse/Trackpad

tko03isaneditor
Org Profile

Post by tko03isaneditor » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:15 am

Yes this ones a bit of a tricky part but i found it's worked best for me, throughout the shatter effect, just scale the clip in. Thats the easiest way. If you're insane then you can go into the special command line and stretch the effect from there (with a line of code i don't know). For now just scale the clip. That's what i do at least.
Anirevo Marketing Team 2020

Return to “Effects & Techniques”