Hey, how do you guys add black lines? (With Sony Vegas)

xredcloud
Org Profile

Hey, how do you guys add black lines? (With Sony Vegas)

Post by xredcloud » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:58 am

I was wondering how the editor did this https://youtu.be/iWDKt3hadpk?t=1m32s the timing goes from 1minute 32 seconds till approx 1 minute 34 seconds
-Where once the (for those you know seen Naruto) the gedo statues comes in, then those black lines appears

Also this one https://youtu.be/j7Oy0Ubo19k?t=58s
-where the foot steps in and there's a sky as the background
^ for this one I do assume that it's just from masking the feet out where this layer is placed above the sky layer? correct me if i'm wrong!
It would be greatly appreciated if you could explain it step by step (preferably in Sony Vegas) but if this effect can only be done in After affects then please do explain too
Thanks!

MrNosec
Org Profile

Re: Hey, how do you guys add black lines? (With Sony Vegas)

Post by MrNosec » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:01 pm

Those black lines are either a film reel overlay or a masked black solid with vertical linear blur moving up and down.

For the second scene, simply mask the character and add a white fill, the character has to be completely white and the background black, now add another video track and place that masked clip on top of the clip you want to show, and set the video track of the masked clip to " Multiply (Mask) " by clicking on the green button on the video track and picking one of the compositing modes. Now the white is replaced by the clip beneath it and the background is still black :mrgreen:
AMVs:
Figment
Numinous

Youtube Channel: MrNosec

xredcloud
Org Profile

Post by xredcloud » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:22 pm

Thanks for the help! :)

xredcloud
Org Profile

Post by xredcloud » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:40 am

MrNosec wrote:Those black lines are either a film reel overlay or a masked black solid with vertical linear blur moving up and down.

For the second scene, simply mask the character and add a white fill, the character has to be completely white and the background black, now add another video track and place that masked clip on top of the clip you want to show, and set the video track of the masked clip to " Multiply (Mask) " by clicking on the green button on the video track and picking one of the compositing modes. Now the white is replaced by the clip beneath it and the background is still black :mrgreen:
Hey would you by any chance be able to send me a link to this feel reel overlay? Because I can't seem to find one, thanks a lot!

MrNosec
Org Profile

Post by MrNosec » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:10 am

xredcloud wrote:Hey would you by any chance be able to send me a link to this feel reel overlay? Because I can't seem to find one, thanks a lot!
Sorry I don't have it, I don't use overlays myself but I've seen the exact same one on several videos, maybe try "AMV overlay pack" or simply mask a black solid with the shape you want, add vertical linear blur and keyframe to move it around the screen.
AMVs:
Figment
Numinous

Youtube Channel: MrNosec

Return to “Effects & Techniques”