What is your guys' favorite transition to use in an extreme change of setting?

exkcal
Org Profile

What is your guys' favorite transition to use in an extreme change of setting?

Post by exkcal » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:43 am

I am practicing my transitions and I am having issues when it comes to changing between polar settings (Day/Night,Red/Blue,ETC). What transitions do you recommended?

This is how I've been practicing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5cYzqj ... ih5t5bps0k

MrNosec
Org Profile

Re: What is your guys' favorite transition to use in an extreme change of setting?

Post by MrNosec » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:26 pm

I could describe them by text but a visual aid is always better, check out the transitions in this AMV https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlwyBbyoUAM, notice how the editor slightly changes the color of the previous clip as the transition starts to match the next scene (masking also makes it look more seamless), or you can even try subtle ink/smoke reveals with luma mattes (also in the video).

Sony Vegas 13 doesn't have graph editor or a motion blur switch, true, but you can keyframe zoom/radial blur to make it look smoother and you can still customize keyframes to some extent by right clicking them on the pan/crop window and selecting "fast","slow","sharp",etc. That can help make a simple zoom transition in Vegas better by starting off slowly reaching the speed peak at the middle of the transition and gradually slows down at the end again.
AMVs:
Figment
Numinous

Youtube Channel: MrNosec

The_McLaughlin
Org Profile

Re: What is your guys' favorite transition to use in an extreme change of setting?

Post by The_McLaughlin » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:23 am

I don't use alot of effects in my amvs, so alot of mine are fades, though I also like trying to match the action or character in the frame too. I've on occassion used zooms and blur. Also on occasion I've masked movement out of the next scene to help transition too. However for the most part my trasnitions are usually fades/fade to white or black and into the next clip.

Return to “Effects & Techniques”