Tips for a manga AMV?

Tsiahiv
Org Profile

Tips for a manga AMV?

Post by Tsiahiv » Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:34 pm

Really want to do a Tokyo Ghoul:re AMV soon.

exkcal
Org Profile

Re: Tips for a manga AMV?

Post by exkcal » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:10 pm

I am sure there is alot of guides on youtube!

neko kitkat
Org Profile

Post by neko kitkat » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:27 pm

I have found that keeping images too static can loose interest. Also try not to make images to fast paced that it makes a image hard to read. You just have to find the right moment to pan quickly and when to keep things slow. Also if you use overlays and textures you might want to balance those out. Too much color/overlays can wash out a image or become to distracting. Sometimes simple black and white works wonders. But adding color is great too. Its just trying t find the right balance between too much and too little. I admit sometimes I do tend to a bit overboard.
I am still a novice at animating images but I fine it easier to start off simple pictures that are easier to manipulate into movement. Also for me personally, since I used vegas, I find it easier and less time consuming for me to green screen pictures. I edit in gimp/paint and paint out what I don't need in neon green and then save and import picture into vegas. I then chroma keyer the green.

Here are some example of some fo my mmvs to help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV4Rh1Bt7k8

This one I used black and white with no real textures added. Its more fast paced and scenes flying to the beat and such But I tried to make the scenes viewable and not too fast. I did slow down during slower parts. I also experimented with again simpler animations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48NjzO5L3cY

This one is more slow paced but still has panning. I tried to focus on a few pictures at a time to create more atmosphere and emotion.I also used colored textures and overlays to give a different feeling. I also again used animations but I didn't use them as a main part if the video and tried to used it more for emotional impact/build up.

tayuyashoujo
Org Profile

Post by tayuyashoujo » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:55 pm

Keep up the motion somehow, especially if its a fast-paced song. MMVs are at a disadvantage because there is no natural movement to the actions so you have to create it all yourself through panning, zooming, transitions, animations, etc. If you're unsure what myself and Kat mean by animating, search something along the lines of "animating manga tutorial" on youtube; there are plenty to explain it.Though keep in mind that if you're going to animate anything, try not to overdo it. More often than not having a lot of mediocre animations can hurt a video more than it can help it. Another risk is putting too much movement (panning/zooming too fast) to the point where no one can tell what's even happening in the panels, so keep an eye out for that and try to make sure there's enough time for the viewer to take in what's happening in the panel.
Don't feel pressured to make every panel take up the whole screen (as if it were an AMV), but also don't feel like you need to fit 5+ panels into one frame. The fun part of editing manga is that you can arrange the panels in a lot of creative ways and also dictate how important a panel is by how much of the screen it takes up.
Two things that can really help clean up your video is to clean your scans (erase all the text from speech & thought bubbles), and make sure your masks are very precise. Because editing manga relies to heavily of masked images they really need to be as clean as possible to make the final video look polished.

There's plenty of very different ways to edit a MMV so it's hard to give basic tips without getting too much into any one style, but hopefully this helps get you started.

Tsiahiv
Org Profile

Post by Tsiahiv » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:51 pm

Thanks for the help! I've always wanted to incorporate them and didn't know where to start. I'll be sure to clean my scans and keep the pacing. Animating will probably be the hardest, but I'll look to your tutorial for guidance, Tayuya. Neko, I appreciate the links as well, nice MMVs btw. Also, going to look into some overlays later.

Return to “Effects & Techniques”