Does anyone know how to do this effect?

phantomjo
Org Profile

Does anyone know how to do this effect?

Post by phantomjo » Mon May 04, 2015 5:54 pm

Hi I was wondering if anyone knows how to do this effect.

Here is the link to amv and the time stamp to it. I tried using cookie cutter and venentian blinds, but I cannot replicate the one shown in the amv. If any one knows how to do this or have a general idea on how, please do share. I really want to test out this effect. Thank you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5_jTVpyefk&t=1m48s

CeliaPhantomhive
Org Profile

Re: Does anyone know how to do this effect?

Post by CeliaPhantomhive » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:30 pm

Awwwh this one could either be super complicated.... or done really really easily in after effects LOL ;-;

BUT IF I WERE TRYING TO DO IT IN VEGAS
I'd render out the 10+ second of footage this was going to go over, then drag it back on the timeline to replace all the clips. Duplicate it and add whatever kind of effects on the top layer that I want the flashed clip to look like. Then mask out the first box with a decent feather, and cut the clip after like 15 frames or so to fade it out. Then just alternate between two layers on top of the main track for each bar flash. That way the fades blend more and aren't too fast by trying to have them all of one layer.

I think something like that would work... if I was able to explain it properly LOL
:shark:

NoglasticNinja
Org Profile

Re: Does anyone know how to do this effect?

Post by NoglasticNinja » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:07 am

AFTER EFFECTS VERSION:
This effect is a set of timed bars that either saturates/desaturates wherever the bars intersect, with additional flashes

Bar effect >>
-Create a new adjustment layer
-Apply effects (in this case, use hue/saturation to desaturate the affected areas)
-create a mask using the rectangle tool by first selecting the layer, and then drawing a rectangle on it
-go into the mask properties, and turn the mask feather up to the desired blurriness.
>tip: by switching the mask to add or subtract, you can make it so the bars will color the image, or desaturate it.
-animate the bar going up and down using mask shape keyframes
-animate the opacity of the mask to the beat.
-repeat for second bar
And then, Shark.

Return to “Effects & Techniques”