How can I change the color of a characters clothing?

inhalingmadness
Org Profile

How can I change the color of a characters clothing?

Post by inhalingmadness » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:40 pm

I saw this amv where the editor changed the color of the characters clothes. So how would I be able do this and which software would be the best to do this. I was thinking it would be either photoshop or adobe after effects. For example at 0:37 the girl's dress is red but in the orginally anime (Panty and stocking with garterbelt) the dress was actually blue and white. So does anybody know how to do this because I would really like to do this effect

Here is the video-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSu7oveH-1Y[url][/url]

CeliaPhantomhive
Org Profile

Re: How can I change the color of a characters clothing?

Post by CeliaPhantomhive » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:39 pm

You could definitely render your raw footage out in a PNG sequence and Photoshop each frame if you're comfortable with that.

You can also mask out what you want to change colors, throw it on a layer that's on top of the original track, and go color effect crazy on it to make it look how you want. That's possible in Vegas Pro and After Effects (not sure about other video editing programs, I only have used those 2 D:)
:shark:

Takako-Jin
Org Profile

Post by Takako-Jin » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:48 am

Many colour grading programs come with great tools to swap colours. Don't expect them to be perfect though. You may get a weird pixelated mess. ^^
~TakaJ-

NoglasticNinja
Org Profile

Post by NoglasticNinja » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:21 am

In this particular effect, there was no pre-existing hue (the top of the stockings matched the skin color of... well... Stocking) in neither the dress nor the thigh-highs, so this wasn't a simple hue shift or color isolation; it was a straight up rotoscope.
Because of how short the clip was (5-10 frames), it was most likely ported into Photoshop, filled in with the paint bucket tool, then put back together in the video editing program with a color bleed effect to hide the aliasing caused by the paint bucket tool.
And then, Shark.

Return to “Effects & Techniques”