COPPA on YouTube

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Re: COPPA on YouTube

Post by ngsilver » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:02 am

Admittedly, YT has been very 'non-communicative' about what they will actually do. I've heard many different versions of what they will or will not do from many different creators. If you are following the conversation from Ian Corzine's videos and his collaboration with Roberto Blake (they released a new updated video today actually) then some of what I've gleamed from their interpretations of the law and youtube's actions make sense.

I've gone through a read the law itself, and TBH, it's pretty vague about everything. Also, if you read through the FTC FAQ regarding COPPA there is a whole section dedicated to 'general audience' sites, which Youtube is (only Youtube Kids is a kid directed site). The wording in the law states 'operator' and defines that as the owner of the site that collects information. Based on that, and the lack of any mention about youtube creators specifically, I venture there is a good argument that the FTC wouldn't even go after a creator unless they run a website themselves that collects data from their users that is targeted at kids. If you look over the FAQ on General Audience sites there are stipulations for what to do if you find out that a member of the site is under 13. But even so, there are provisions related to this General Audience which Youtube itself as a site is.

If you also read the federal register from the 2013 amendment that added the general audience description there are a number of points where it is called out in there that the rules do not apply to general audience sites. It even calls out Youtube and Facebook as not applying to the rules.

https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/rules/r ... ction-rule

Now, I can't seem to find anything online that has the new amendments, the most recent federal register is from the 2013 amendments on the site. I know that the recent ruling is adding in amendments that call out Youtube (which TBH is a rather shitty response but understandable because Youtube/Google sucked at 'not being evil' and bragged publically about knowing that kids view their site, something that wasn't supposed to be a thing, and also failed to properly argue due to this that their site is general purpose) so the specifics of how all of this will pan out in the end I can't really verify by reading the law as it will be written.

In all of this, I'm not a lawyer, I just don't mind reading legal jargon and I generally feel I understand it. I'm not giving any legal advice. But just my interpretation based on the interpretations I've heard from other lawyers and my own reading of the material.
ImageImageImageImage

Mol
Strawberry Pie
Org Profile

Post by Mol » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:17 pm

Well isn't prison just a room anyway? Wonder how how im supposed to pay 40k$ if don't even make it in a year :uhoh:
Still better than that MMO.

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:15 pm

Well, here goes nothing.

Actually, I think that was the default setting that YouTube had automatically already put on my channel. I thought that choosing it would be a big deal, feels anticlimactic compared to the declaration I thought it was going to be.

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:22 pm

Ok that's hilarious

Return to “General Discussion”