GMV is a totally different genre ?

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
Dustin Grim
Org Profile

GMV is a totally different genre ?

Post by Dustin Grim » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:47 pm

Hey there, fellas !
I have a question, as i am new in this forum and i know nearly nothing.
Are GMVs a totally different kind of work/genre from AMVs ?
I'm interested in doing both, but i want to be well aware of what i'm doing and if something posted in the amv section which is a gmv is considered off topic or not.
Thank you for every answer, and see ya !

SilverLugia345
Org Profile

Re: GMV is a totally different genre ?

Post by SilverLugia345 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:47 pm

I'm not sure how others view the difference but the main difference between GMV and AMV that I'm really aware of is that one basically is video games and the other is anime. Now there are video games out there that use anime-like styles for cutscenes and other aspects of game. I believe if the video game edit uses those anime-style cutscenes is still considered under an amv (So if you are familiar with games like Tales of series, Legend of Zelda or Fire Emblem I believe are good examples of using anime style for cutscenes). Then other games like Final Fantasy, Halo, their cutscenes are more 3D base and really don't hold that anime style are considered GMV edits.

Dustin Grim
Org Profile

Post by Dustin Grim » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:35 am

Thank you :)

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:54 pm

If your video uses anime and video games, its allowed to be cataloged and posted in the AMV Announcement forum, but if your video uses nothing but non anime inspired video games, then its not allowed to be cataloged, but it can still be posted in the "Other Videos" forum. This site primarily focuses on AMVs, but we made the "Other Videos" forum because we still like seeing video edits from other forms of animation as well :D

TripleR309
Org Profile

Post by TripleR309 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:38 pm

This is actually a super useful thread, thanks a million =)

World Domination Studios
Org Profile

Post by World Domination Studios » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:31 pm

Fan-made music videos are fan-made music videos. It doesn't matter whether you're using anime, live-action footage, Western animation, video games, or some combination of all of them ( a lot of Star Wars videos mix footage from the movies with footage from Clone Wars). It's all one genre.

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:59 am

Game Music Videos are not the same thing as Anime Music Videos, if that is what you’re asking.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:54 am

World Domination Studios wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:31 pm
Fan-made music videos are fan-made music videos. It doesn't matter whether you're using anime, live-action footage, Western animation, video games, or some combination of all of them ( a lot of Star Wars videos mix footage from the movies with footage from Clone Wars). It's all one genre.
I'm going to disagree. Working with live action footage versus working with anime is very different. There are some editors who manage to successfully do both. I've dabbled in live action, but I haven't ever been satisfied with the results. Calling LAMVs (or Vids, and the art is Vidding, with its practitioners being Vidders) the same genre as AMVs goes against my experience that the skill set is different. I mean, sure, they're both video editing. But so are commercial music videos (which is itself a different skill set than Vids or AMVs) and movies. And no one thinks that they're the same genre because they're both editing. The skill sets are incredibly different.

As for video game as the source, I think it largely depends on the style. If the style is anime, like visual novels, or the Revolutionary Girl Utena Sega Saturn game (which I have used myself), then it's basically an AMV because the style is hewing to anime norms.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

ryanolsen
Org Profile

Post by ryanolsen » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:41 pm

SilverLugia345 wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:47 pm
I'm not sure how others view the difference but the main difference between GMV and AMV that I'm really aware of is that one basically is video games and the other is anime. Now there are video games out there that use anime-like styles for cutscenes and other aspects of game. I believe if the video game edit uses those anime-style cutscenes is still considered under an amv (So if you are familiar with games like Tales of series, Legend of Zelda or Fire Emblem I believe are good examples of using anime style for cutscenes). Then other games like Final Fantasy, Halo, their cutscenes are more 3D base and really don't hold that anime style are considered GMV edits.
I also think the same way.

the Black Monarch
Org Profile

Post by the Black Monarch » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:50 pm

Kionon wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:54 am
Working with live action footage versus working with anime is very different. There are some editors who manage to successfully do both. I've dabbled in live action, but I haven't ever been satisfied with the results. Calling LAMVs (or Vids, and the art is Vidding, with its practitioners being Vidders) the same genre as AMVs goes against my experience that the skill set is different. I mean, sure, they're both video editing. But so are commercial music videos (which is itself a different skill set than Vids or AMVs)
Having made both anime and live-action music videos, and having seen dozens that combine footage from multiple sources, including some that incorporate footage from the original official videos, I'm going to say that's a load of bollocks. In fact, there are many official music videos that are made for songs from animated movies and incorporate footage from those movies, such as "Over My Head" from Titan AE (www.youtube.com/watch?v=duE_pFsWWaA) and "Strangers Like Me" from Tarzan (www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbDsfvpRbZs). Tron Legacy has been described by MANY people as a 2-hour-long Daft Punk music video.

Sure, they have their own little quirks. For example, lip sync is a LOT easier to do in animation than in live-action, for obvious reasons, and official music videos grant you the luxury of shooting your own footage, whereas fan-made music videos restrict you to whatever's in the TV show, movie, or game that you're working with... unless you're Brentalfloss and you just go ahead and roll your own live-action footage anyway and mix it with game footage. But these quirks certainly don't make AMVs, LAMVs, and GMVs separate genres.

If you were to split them, would you put anime and western animation in separate categories? Would computer-generated shows like Reboot get their own category separate from cel animation? Would video game footage be split into two categories depending on whether you used gameplay footage or cutscenes? What about games that include live-action cutscenes like the Command & Conquer franchise? If I were to make a music video using exclusively the live-action mission briefings from the Command & Conquer games, would that be a live-action music video or a video game music video? Do you treat pre-rendered cutscenes differently from ones that are rendered in-game on-the-fly? If cutscenes are pre-rendered CGI, does that put them in the same genre as Reboot? What about machinima footage that LOOKS like it's from a game, but is actually rendered using third-party software, like a lot of Minecraft videos are? What the hell would Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within count as? Most of all, if you were to split them into separate genres, where would you put the videos that combine footage from multiple sources, like this one that combines live-action, Western traditional cel animation, western CGI, anime, and multiple types of original fan-made content?
Ask me about my secret stash of videos that can't be found anywhere anymore.

Return to “General Discussion”