do you like Fall Out Boy?

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
seasons
Org Profile

do you like Fall Out Boy?

Post by seasons » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:57 am

I haven't heard anything of theirs before From Under Cork Tree (almost ten years old now) and I really like them.

The problem is, a lot of people seem to really hate them, either because
1) apparently they don't sound exactly like they used to back in 2001 when they were playing emo-punk songs at shows in dive bars and basements and they refuse to try to keep that part of their career going
2) people are subconsciously homophobic and hate dance/pop because it's gay and also and have a hatred of rap music that's probably rooted in some kind of cultural racism and they feel betrayed that those sounds have crept into the band's music over the years
3) people need a punching bag that's not Linkin Park to show how cool their music taste is

I didn't like them at first but damn, they write some killer hooks and bigger-than-life-sounding anthems that get me fired up in ways that are really embarrassing, but don't run from that! Embrace that shit!

"Centuries" is a great song and it's weird how their audacity to use samples in their music has actually angered a lot of people, like they're only supposed to play "real music" on real instruments or that they're only doing it to get popular or something. Last week, the highest-rated comment on that video (with like 200+ thumbs up or something) was some guy's douche-y "this is music for adolescents!" rant. I'm not even going to say anything else about that, but just think about it for a while.

Save Rock and Roll was the most underrated album of 2013, imho. When I put that on it feels like anything is possible and life is going to be okay.

"Thnks fr th Mmrs," "Dance Dance," "The Phoenix," "Thnks fr th Mmrs," "Alone Together," "My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark"... I guess there's no accounting for taste but I think all these songs are fantastic and bombastic in all the best ways possible.

This is probably where I ask you what you think of them and you tell me that you don't care for them and then I construct some straw man argument to tell you that you're wrong... or is it?

seasons
Org Profile

Re: do you like Fall Out Boy?

Post by seasons » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:16 am

hey tuxedomarty, how do you feel about this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cnBxSB1jUE

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:17 am

seasons wrote:"Thnks fr th Mmrs," "Dance Dance," "The Phoenix," "Thnks fr th Mmrs,"
lol

dreamawake
Prodigal Pen-Throttle
Org Profile

Post by dreamawake » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:03 am

I like their first 2 albums. Anything after that just isn't my thing and I don't really care if that's a cliche music snob response, for me, it's just the truth.

I am also a hiphop-head. So that makes your 2nd point invalid as well.

*shrug*

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:14 pm

I like them. I think Take This To Your Grave and From Under The Cork Tree are both pretty great pop-punk records, and even if I didn't have specific memories tied to those albums I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy them for what they are -- fun, hook-filled, cathartic collections of songs.

I can't speak for FOB's later stuff from an album standpoint, as I haven't listened through anything more recent than From Under The Cork Tree, but of course I'm familiar with the main hits from the past many years. Most of it is average to good, and one of my favorite songs of theirs is "Hum Hallelujah". They have shifted more from the "punk" side of things (if they could ever be classified as such) to a much more arena-rock-pop sound, and whenever a band goes in that direction, people are going to dislike it. I think it was fashionable to hate FOB for a while years ago because they were getting really popular and it's cool to hate on things that are popular. I don't think it's any deeper than that, really, nor is it anything new.
seasons wrote:"Centuries" is a great song and it's weird how their audacity to use samples in their music has actually angered a lot of people, like they're only supposed to play "real music" on real instruments or that they're only doing it to get popular or something. Last week, the highest-rated comment on that video (with like 200+ thumbs up or something) was some guy's douche-y "this is music for adolescents!" rant. I'm not even going to say anything else about that, but just think about it for a while.
Meh, this attitude (perpetuated by my friends while I was in high school) kept me from discovering so much good music back then. It took me a long time to discover pop music and all the great things that use it as a foundation. People who limit themselves to certain styles of music based off of some misguided mindset that music has to be played with a certain arrangement of instruments and anything that doesn't conform to that sucks because it's not "real" music are stupid. I won't waver on that. If you dislike certain types of music because you flat-out don't like the way it sounds, that's perfectly okay, but if you're going to condemn certain genres or styles based solely on said said genre's popularity or the means used to create it, seriously, shut up.

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:06 pm

CastielTheFallen wrote:I am also a hiphop-head. So that makes your 2nd point invalid as well.
I would have thought there would be more people out there like you, and maybe there are but I just can't see them through all the terrible Youtube comments/Reddit posts/garbage oon the Internet that I hate reading but still feed myself on a regular basis.

"Do you like Fall Out Boy?" is pretty much all this thread needed but I went and wrote a bunch of other crap along with it for some reason and I don't know why. I think I was just in a shitty mood that morning.
CrackTheSky wrote:Meh, this attitude (perpetuated by my friends while I was in high school) kept me from discovering so much good music back then. It took me a long time to discover pop music and all the great things that use it as a foundation. People who limit themselves to certain styles of music based off of some misguided mindset that music has to be played with a certain arrangement of instruments and anything that doesn't conform to that sucks because it's not "real" music are stupid. I won't waver on that. If you dislike certain types of music because you flat-out don't like the way it sounds, that's perfectly okay, but if you're going to condemn certain genres or styles based solely on said said genre's popularity or the means used to create it, seriously, shut up.
This used to be associated with old people dismissing disco/rap/pop because it wasn't "real" but it seems like it's become a common attitude for young people who are just discovering music or whatever. Like you either love Justin Bieber and Soulja Boy or Neil Young and The Beatles but only one of those opinions is right, you can't ever like both and there's no middle ground.

Then again there are plenty of reasonable people out there but most of them don't spend much time online so it seems like they don't exist.

dreamawake
Prodigal Pen-Throttle
Org Profile

Post by dreamawake » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:12 pm

It's all gravy, ReggieSmalls and DrDinosaur are pretty into hiphop, too. And Blainstrudel and a few others I know.

got a skype account? Would be cool to discuss music some time :)

Return to “General Discussion”