Growth

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
InsaneWaya
Org Profile

Growth

Post by InsaneWaya » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:09 am

I'll start by saying I got the idea to make this thread after reading Chiikabooms post and it made me think about a few things. So before i ramble on the question I have for everyone is how much have you grown or changed since you started editing? What got you to start editing, what are your best memories when you were editing and how has the AMV "community" affected your life?

Growth:
I didn't really think I changed much until I started thinking back. Like a lot of people here I started editing and joined the Org when I was 13/14. I always thought I was a pretty nice person overall but after looking back at old comments on youtube and such it made me realize how immature you are at that kind of age. I got upset pretty easily sometimes and was lazy when given advice on how to improve a video. I was also a bit of a ass at times but i think we all were here and there. :P

Overall I think I got more patient, I'm willing to take advice a lot more seriously and I am thankful for any and all memories I make. When your younger you tend to take the little everyday moments for granted.

The Start:
I got started after randomly stumbling across some AMVs on youtube and me and a friend at the time started editing with WMM making multiple shitty AMVs a week. Eventually I stumbled across Magnus on youtube who I only knew as Zetzu at the time. After messaging him on youtube he added me on MSN IM and helped me get sony vegas and showed me a few basic things. He introduced me to a lot of people I wish I could still talk to today, as well as introducing me to this site. I personally believe without his help I wouldn't be where I am today because I probably would have stopped editing within a month. I wish I could have thanked him.

Best Memories:
There are a couple memories that stand more than anything else. First was one night on msn or skype(can't remember which we were using at this point) I was in a call with Magnus and Neverend and we decided to mess around and basically do some IC's using the most overused bands as sources. After countless hours we did videos with linkin park, sum 41, and slipknot. The whole time messing around on calls just having a blast. We added some other people as we went on and the cans of brisk ice tea I was drinking started to consume my desk. Needless to say it is one of my favorite memories. The second was when I met SheeGee, but that is obvious since we have been dating for over 5 years now. I am really lucky I met her, it has changed my life a lot and it wouldn't be the same without her.

Effects:
Without getting involved into AMVs I never would have met my fiancee and wouldn't be the person I am today. I learned a lot from the people here. Not just how to edit but how to be more mature.(although sometimes I don't know if that's shown here xP) I feel like without getting involved in this hobby we all share my life would be completely different and I'm glad I got the chance to a part of this community for as long as I have been.

Now the ball's in your court, how have you grown?
Spoiler :
With all that said I doubt anybody here even knew I existed :P Also my grammar and spelling is terrible so sorry if it bothers you xD
Looking for beta testers!

dreamawake
Prodigal Pen-Throttle
Org Profile

Re: Growth

Post by dreamawake » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:52 am

I'm nowhere near the same person I used to be. So much so that I can't even really find the words to describe it. For starters, I'm nowhere near as much of a dick as I used to be. I'm sure some people find that hard to believe, but it's true. I'm nowhere near as serious as I once was about the hobby, these days I'd rather be making music than AMVs, though I still enjoy AMVs. I started editing when I was around 10 or 11, so I've obviously changed big time since then. Even in the last 5-6 years too, though. I used to be far more standoff-ish than I am these days as well, and I can honestly say I don't miss that at all. I'm a lot more miserable than I used to be, but I cover it up far better. I'm also a lot more open to just randomly talk to people, new or old. That said, my mental state has also worsened and is continuing to degrade. Though that doesn't have much of anything to do with the hobby/community.

Best memories are certainly skype calls and movie nights with the rest of the DZ Crew & DZ homies. Long debates, arguments, random ass sillyness, whatever. We've had a lot of fucking fun over the years. Wouldn't trade any of that for anything in the world. I've met some of my best friends through this hobby who I'm sure I'll be talking to long after we're all done with amvs. I may not be as into the process as I once was, but I still love creating and watching the creations of others.

dreamawake
Prodigal Pen-Throttle
Org Profile

Post by dreamawake » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:52 am

ps: i like this thread. \m/

InsaneWaya
Org Profile

Post by InsaneWaya » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:56 am

CastielTheFallen wrote:I used to be far more standoff-ish than I am these days as well, and I can honestly say I don't miss that at all.
I remember having a fight with on on msn YEARS ago lol you were very standoff-ish then. No offense of course |:>
Looking for beta testers!

dreamawake
Prodigal Pen-Throttle
Org Profile

Post by dreamawake » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:02 am

I don't doubt that at all. lol.

NS
I like pants
Org Profile

Post by NS » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:28 pm

Joey was the biggest asshole in the world and we didn't get along AT ALL for like the first 2 years of me being in the hobby lol, but eventually destiny brought us together to be good friends.. Funny how that shit works.

Growth: I pretty much agree with your growth statement, I used to like pride myself on being super "Honest" about videos and giving feed back and whatnot (And I still do) but back then I was just an asshole. I've grown a LOT since then since I'm 22 now. OH and I should mention, I scored myself a job editing. I'm learning AVID because of it and can't believe editing is what I do all day.

The Start: I started when I was 12 - 13 years old. I had been a gamer for quite a while so I was familiar with computers and I was playing Warcraft III when one of my clanmates showed me a video that he had claimed to make with DBZ (Since we were like all huge fans of DBZ and actually the clan responsible for making the DBZ Tribute game that got really huge on WCIII, but anyway) It was "Set aside the pride" by Dannypoo and I just felt like I HAD to do that, so I just watched videos nonstop on youtube and got super immersed in that. I edited a bunch of random videos on Windows movie maker because that was all I had, I used limewire clips at first and then I used majorly DBZ clips from a site called DBArena. Eventually I found this place and read up on the guides and got myself some DVDs and figured the shit out.

Best Memories: It's really hard to say. I really have a lot of fun remembering back to when I was active on youtube and had all the time to just be on the computer ALL the time talking to random kids on the internet and bullshitting the day away. I've met a bunch of my best friends on the web and from this hobby that there is absolutely no way I ever regret it. As for a best memory it would have to be all the big skype calls with all the people I love, and especially the MSN days, before skype.

dreamawake
Prodigal Pen-Throttle
Org Profile

Post by dreamawake » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:06 am

MSN crew sound off. lol.

/me listens to Dennis Leary - Asshole

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:50 am