Graphics Tablet for drawing anime & realistic portraits

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
Nunusaur
Org Profile

Re: Graphics Tablet for drawing anime & realistic portraits

Post by Nunusaur » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:12 pm

SQ wrote:I'm not a huge artist, I do it as a hobby and I've used a couple different tablets over my time. By and far, Wacom is definitely the best, excelling in pretty much every category there is. But with that, comes a hefty pricetag. I've drawn on an intuous3 and if I could afford that tablet, I would've bought it.

What it comes down to though is your personal preferences and the style of your art. Do you plan to do digital art professionally to make money? Is it a hobby? How often do you plan to use this tablet?

How do you work? Can you draw in a small, confined space, or do you need a lot of room? These two questions specifically will be difficult to figure out if you've never used a tablet or drawn on the computer before.

When you draw, do you draw mostly straight lines, or is a lot of your detail done through varying the pressure of majority curved lines? This is an important question, because "tilt pressure" is something that is not available on lower-end tablets.

For me, I cannot work in a small space, hand down. I have tried. In order to buy a wacom I'd have to get something very tiny, such as a Bamboo. And I just can't get anything done on it. I ended up buying a tablet that 6x9, "Genius". It is definitely a low budget tab;et, but it does what I need it to do at the skill level I am at within the price range I needed it to be in.

The best advice I can give you is to see if you have some friends who own tablets, who you can borrow from and draw on them for a bit. This is what I did. You also need to think about how much money is going to influence your decision. I should've got something with tilt pressure, but since I don't use my tablet that often, I couldn't justify the price.

Good luck with your purchase.
Thank you very much for helping me choose (and my apologies for the late reply), I've decided to go for an Intuos. I'm just going to have to look up the difference between 3, 4 and 5.

Return to “General Discussion”