Talent, Skill, Popularity, and Misogyny: A Feminist Critique

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
seasons
Org Profile

Re: Talent, Skill, Popularity, and Misogyny: A Feminist Crit

Post by seasons » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:14 pm

seasons wrote:But seeing as how you ignored my previous post in response to you, in which I asked you to clarify points that you were trying to make earlier in the thread, and that I put a lot of care into typing up, I'm not sure whether I should bother doing so again. If you're not going to read it or reply to it then what's the point?
The previous post I referenced here was in response to BasharOfTheAges, not Sephiroth, oops.

The rest of what I said in this post still applies, however.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:39 pm

All,

I will have civility and respectful behavior from everyone involved in this discussion. There's a lot I will tolerate in the name of open discourse, but please make your points while being nice. It will go a long way towards keeping the tone academic and not personal if you remember to use pleases, thank yous, and acknowledge how others took the time to address your points or added to contributed the thread. Make sure that you are contributing to the thread. Try not to make comments which are overly inflammatory or which might derail the thread.

While it's true
outlawed wrote:I'll try to get y'all back on topic.

So how does this video clip make you feel?
Outlawed, thank you for engaging in this topic, and it's good to see you. Long time, no see.

This is "on topic" from a feminism perspective, but from a "I'm looking for people to post experiences of misogyny in AMV communities" perspective, perhaps not so much. That said, you posted two excellent examples of blatant misogyny in our wider culture, and I'll go ahead and address them. Although I'm rather more curious if you have some examples which fit the latter perspective and not just the former.

Well, obviously, I find Lou Dobb's shift to the right as wholly problematic (I used to watch him on CNN and he was much more balanced). It isn't just his views on women which now appear to have regressed. Addressing this video specifically, of course I very much dislike how disingenuous I believe it portrays this actual issue. The "problem" with more women as breadwinners isn't women as breadwinners, it's the fact the wage gap means that as women continue to become a larger share of the household income, especially as the primary income, the family's total relative income and earning potential goes down. Accounting for vast variances in individual circumstances, the wage gap is something like 75 cents to the dollar. For women of color, it's more like the low 60s. For trans women, it's even less.That's intersectionality at work there. Individual women may do quite well, but women as a class typically earn less. They are generally promoted less. And there are pressures even still today to cut work back or leave the workforce entirely for the sake of family and/or children which means that many women choose shorter career tracks, even when they don't want to do so. It's very important to understand this distinction between aggregate numbers and individual circumstances. Wealthy, financially independent women exist
more and more, and we have great examples of women CEOs, but the trend in general is still worrying.

As for the blog post you linked, I think her take down stands by itself. I don't feel the need to go into it. So, uh, :up:.
seasons wrote:I have a lot of questions about this post you just made. Should I take the time to break it down into specifics? Because I will. Let me know. Really, I'll be at work tonight with nothing but time.
I don't feel there is any purpose in doing so. I understand your frustration, and I'm sympathetic to it, but don't let it get the better of you. In this case, I believe just moving on is best. Help me keep the tone civil.
AMVGuide wrote:Can we do a better job avoiding TL;DR please? Not that I mind; I just don't have the time-- Clear and Concise is golden.
No. I choose my words very carefully. I revise a lot. I consider my tone. Did I get all of my information out there? Did I address the points I wanted to? Did I deal with any objections or potential objections? Am I being polite and civil even when I strongly disagree or am even deeply offended or hurt by the person two whom I am responding? This means I write however much it takes.

I think I've been clear and concise about the goals of this thread: to challenge misogynistic behavior when it happens, as it happens, and also to encourage folks to use this space to mention incidents which have occurred in the past they they'd like to share. I don't think those two goals are unclear in my previous statements.
One thing we can do is: Avoid making Assumptions of gender. (Most mistakes arise from assumptions.)
Even adding Sir, and Ma'am or Miss --though polite-- can lead to mistakes later on.
Granted, I still do it myself; but only if gender is outwardly displayed. And it takes experience too. (Believe me... I worked in customer service for a while... and you learn a lot about communication.)
Sure, proper gendering is important. But accidental misgendering is not a huge deal. Just a small correction and everyone moves on. Happens every day. Now, intentional misgendering is something else entirely.
Unfortunately, the English Language doesn't have much in terms of a gender-neutral designation. In the Old West, "Hello Stranger," came pretty close... but it all depends how neutral you can say it IRL. Over the net it works pretty good; although "Hello Anon." seems to be the de-facto standard. One day, it may become standard IRL too, but the internet isn't wide-spread enough for anything like that to happen.
It's typical to use a singular form of "they." It used to be standard, but it was phased out starting about two hundred years ago as something which is formally recognised. Yet we've all used it, because language has its own life to it. Many people advocate returning to they and their in singular form (just like you can be both). I'd suggest we do that until the person identifies themselves.
Fall_Child42 wrote:Oh is this more of a trying-too-hard-to-be-serious, and thus comes off a comedic exaggeration?
Like is this poster not meant to be funny, but I'm finding it funny because of it's incorrect use of hyperbole?

is that what this is?

Because, you know, I'm no PHD in comedy or anything, but it seems to me that this comic was made to be funny.
Who knows I could be wrong. I laugh at things that weren't meant to be funny all the time.
I'm not sure what you're asking here. I think perhaps you're underestimating the power of the "humorless bitch" trope in our communties, and that includes the AMV communities. The humor value derives from the fact that this is a "sorry, not sorry" statement by the artist. She apologises for being a "feminist bitch" when in fact the apology is unnecessary because the definition being applied to her is that "feminist bitch = woman who doesn't like my jokes about women" and when it comes to stupid sexist jokes, she is a woman who doesn't like sexist jokes. However, that is a very one dimensional definition of feminist, is insulting because of its use of "bitch," and implies that her views of the sexist jokes are not valid or not worthy of consideration.

I would say that the primary focus of the poster is serious. The "humorless bitch" trope is a very serious issue, and the poster brings attention to that fact. Humor enhances it, but it isn't a joke.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:40 pm

I always miss something, ignore "while it is true," I meant to delete it; I rewrote that section.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:43 pm

AMVGuide wrote:Can we do a better job avoiding TL;DR please? Not that I mind; I just don't have the time-- Clear and Concise is golden.
But that would defeat the purpose of argument by attrition.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:58 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:
But that would defeat the purpose of argument by attrition.
I'm usually very careful to use qualifying statements or what-have-you in order to make sure people do not read an inappropriate tone into my words. The following is going to be fairly choppy, but please read it with a respectful mental voice. I am not angry, I am not "yelling" at anyone, but I am trying to address concerns that I have been too verbose.

Here's the blunt truth, as clear and concise as I can be:

This is a feminist critique. I used a specific set of tools. I articulated and affirmed my positions. I offered my conclusions. Then I "opened up a comment section" so to speak by placing it here in on a forum where people could respond.

Make no mistake, however, this was not a poll. It was not an invitation for people take on my tool bag or my positions, although it is something which I'm okay with happening. I just consider it a side show.

It was an essay where I assert that issues exist, that we know they do, and in which I call everyone to challenge incidents where they see them and feel free to bring these concerns up, and for AMV community members to engage in a way which won't lead to mocking or derailing or other silencing tactics.

If you think that the goal of this thread is to convince me that I'm wrong, You're Gonna Have A Bad Time. That's not what this is about at all, although as long as people maintain civility, I have no problem seeing where the comments go.

But I'm far more concerned with how to implement the challenge I articulated and make people feel safe to speak up about incidents they've experienced. And so far, no one has done that.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:30 pm

Kionon wrote: But I'm far more concerned with how to implement the challenge I articulated and make people feel safe to speak up about incidents they've experienced. And so far, no one has done that.
I built you a tool that could be used to directly implement one of your goals (at least in a prototypical fashion), and to the best of my knowledge, it has neither been tried nor criticized.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:36 pm

trythil wrote:I built you a tool that could be used to directly implement one of your goals (at least in a prototypical fashion), and to the best of my knowledge, it has neither been tried nor criticized.
Oh wow! I'm so sorry, I totally missed this post.

I read your statement of intent, but I'm not clear on how this works, exactly. Can you please explain?
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:50 pm

Kionon wrote:
trythil wrote:I built you a tool that could be used to directly implement one of your goals (at least in a prototypical fashion), and to the best of my knowledge, it has neither been tried nor criticized.
Oh wow! I'm so sorry, I totally missed this post.

I read your statement of intent, but I'm not clear on how this works, exactly. Can you please explain?
Two principles

1. Archiving incidents makes it possible to review and associate those incidents with the offender and the offended.
2. Archiving aggregation and other statistics, which means that we can start applying game mechanics for social engineering.

Practically speaking

Someone who wishes to report an incident logs into the application. No personally identifying information beyond the email address is recorded; pseudonymity is of course possible when necessary (just sign up for a different email account at any provider). The reporter logs an identification of the offending party (e.g. a username) and a description of the offense. In the case of forum posts or text chats, this could just be a log of that chat or a URL.

The incident is logged, assigned a unique ID, and made public. The leaderboards on the front page show the top 10 reporters and the top 10 reportees; this is intended to (1) spur vigilance (which, yes, can become vigilantism) and (2) give people some idea of who they're affecting.

Details and ruminations

This is just one in a long line of technical assists for solving social issues, and like all those other tools, it has limited usefulness.

1. The tool is utterly dependent on a network effect: it must be widely acknowledged and used before it can really have any impact.

2. There are currently no spam checks on this, but it is possible to review submissions and delete what is clearly spam. Further revisions could include automated spam filtering, though that gets tricky for a multiuser system like this. (Personal email spam filters derive much of their effectiveness from the fact that they are trained on what is spam and not-spam to you.)

3. Preventing fradulent submissions is much, much harder: how do you algorithmically determine what's offensive to someone? Therefore, I've chosen to not even try.

These are significant shortcomings that could severely limit the tool's usefulness and distort the experiment. (1) and (3) actually clash with each other quite badly: you'll need some sort of monitoring once you get popular!

But hey, it's out there.

Fall_Child42
has a rock
Org Profile

Post by Fall_Child42 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:53 pm

Can I break your tool by being both the most misogynistic poster and then reporting all of my own posts?

Fall_Child42
has a rock
Org Profile

Post by Fall_Child42 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:54 pm

Fall_Child42 wrote:Can I break your tool by being both the most misogynistic poster and then reporting all of my own posts?
Nobody can offend me like I can offend me.

Return to “General Discussion”